Have I made a terrible mistake?

Yes.
- 0 (0%)
No.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 17, 2014, 05:49:42 pm

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gundora/Pandora (conworld) - making something serious happen here!  (Read 6247 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

So, Gun Francisco is still a thing I'm working on.
However it has changed pretty drastically and the old thread is, well, old at tihs point, and has a lot of really outdated stuff, so I thought I'd just abandon that one and make a new one.

What has changed, you might ask?
Well, everything, basically.

Previously the world was kind of cliche and the parallels between my races and your stock fantasy stuff (humans, dwarves, elves, goblins) were pretty clear and I didn't quite like that.
So how do things stand now? I'll quote myself from my /r/worldbuilding thread:

The year is 2123AD, or 101PA (Post Apocalypse). One century ago, in 2022AD, a global war has erupted and brought the humanity to its brink. In the unravelling chaos, ancient forces of magic have awoken from their thousand-year slumber. The post-war radiation combined with the mana once again flowing through the winds of the now-flooded world has made it a truly different place.

A world of guns, magic and mutants, roaming the harsh wastelands. The humanity has split itself into two - the magic-using Northmen and technology-wielding Southees.

But even though they are mortal enemies, they both hate one thing above all, even each other - the Hybridae - all the bizzare mutants that steal their food, kill their men and ruin their forts.
But who truly is the monster in this post-apocalyptic Earth? The Southees? The Northmen? The Hybridae?

Basically, you have two large groups of humans who use magic and technology fighting each other while both sides are fending off hordes of hybrids (or hybridae, if you will), which is what the beasts/mutants used to be in the old version of the setting. But maybe they are not the monsters after all...

So yes, I want your feedback on whether you like the 1st Edition (with humans, birds and frogs split into the factions of gunners, mutants and mages) or the 2nd Edition (with humans split into gunners/Southees and mages/Northmen against the Hybridae/mutants) and the feedback on the oh-so terribly-written story. It's more like a summary than anything...

Stay tuned for more!
(I'll make a more detailed write-up later this week if I'm not feeling lazy.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:39:52 am by DarkDXZ »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld), with a short story!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »

PtW
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld), with a short story!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:25:10 pm »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld) - magic system explanation
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:13:15 pm »

Does the combat system take into account that no one has arms or legs?
Shoes...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:20 am »

Does the combat system take into account that no one has arms or legs?

Depends. Naturally the head and body will be far higher priority than the relatively small feet and hands which don't cripple the target nearly as much as a clear shot to the head or heart. Doesn't mean that a target that can't move or attack is an easy target, but a dead one is the best one.

Basically getting hit here is way bigger of a deal since all your bodyparts are quite vital and losing one of them is obviously going to be fatal in the long term.

...Not that it wouldn't if people had proper limbs.

I'm writing from school, I'll scribble up something about the races and southees' weapons over the weekend, and post another image batch. See you!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:31:19 pm »

Right, here come some more reposts from /r/worldbuilding and a few images of vastly varying quality. Enjoy!
Note: Southees are now officially called Southfolk, though the term Southee is still used, particularly by themselves.

Spoiler: Proverbs and sayings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Southfolk weapons (click to show/hide)

Last but not least, a somewhat small album of sketches. The green guy is Axle King from the story summary in the first post. (his design changed slightly again since then, and I'll probably write in more detail about him soon enough)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:27:43 pm by DarkDXZ »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld) - guns, proverbs and Enlish
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »

All of this sounds really cool. I particularly like the changes to English, though should something come of this, I'd recommend just using modern English, or at least cutting down on the more drastic changes (Ch→Tsh and y→j in particular), to make it easier to understand for new audiences.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:02:29 pm »

For some reason I read the normal english conversation in Jorgen Von Strangle's voice from the Fairly Oddparents.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:06:06 am »

All of this sounds really cool. I particularly like the changes to English, though should something come of this, I'd recommend just using modern English, or at least cutting down on the more drastic changes (Ch→Tsh and y→j in particular), to make it easier to understand for new audiences.

The whole Enlish system is very much an experimental thing and for the sake of simplicity (both for myself and the readers) I'll just stick to plain English when writing, except for some occasional bits here and there.

Meanwhile, more lore stuff!

EDIT:
I've also done a quick rework of the image in the main post with a more updated depiction of a northman (when I made that picture first I had little idea of how I want them to be, I think it's closer to the current vision now). Tell me what you think!

Here's a before-after side-by-side comparison:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:29:38 am by DarkDXZ »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld) - The Crystal Castle + new main image
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 07:56:25 pm »

Great to see this still alive!

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:16 pm »

That Enlish thing is funny/cool, reminds me of fake German. :P
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 04:02:04 pm »

Alright, had a bit of a slow week due to The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth taking up a majority of my free time, but I still got to sneak in an extra bit on the subject of magic, in the form of potions (inb4 that's alchemy).
(For once this is a

Spoiler: Potions (click to show/hide)

Recently I've been trying on fleshing out each of the side's specific factions, so I'll probably try to do something about that soon enough. Until then though, I have to play some more Rebirth. ;P

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld) - potions
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 05:52:12 pm »

Okay, so I have outlined the basic themes and names for the major factions of the world, but I can't for crap decide which one to cover in more detail, so I'll let you guys decide! I'll run a poll for a week (probably less if nothing happens for a few days) and expand on the winner(s) afterwards.

Until then I'll continue to be busy with other things. Cheers!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld) - potions + factions poll!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »

PTW. Didn't realize that a new thread went up.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld) - potions + factions poll!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »

How does liquid mana get turned into energy?
Pages: [1] 2