Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: GuildVerse - Let's exploit a planet!  (Read 3800 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
GuildVerse - Let's exploit a planet!
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:57 pm »

In this game, 8 players are part of a Guild, basically an outer space version of a city-state. Some Guilds are focused around mining and have their base on asteroids, others may make their base on full-blown garden worlds, etc. The players' Guild in question in this game is currently about to enter orbit over a verdant gaia-like world over twice the size of Earth, and with an even more diverse -- and dangerous -- array of flora and fauna to deal with, as well as untold mysteries to be explored that may lead to great riches, or the downfall of your expedition...

The object of this game is simple: EXPLOIT THE HELL OUT OF THIS NATURES' PARADISE. Your Guild, being the first to discover this world and already badly in need of resources and a more permanent base, has come with the intention of burning, drilling, and blasting whatever they need to to get their way -- and they have the technology to do it. Tech-level at the start is relatively rudimentary, with your usual array of modern/futuristic infantry, vehicles, aircraft, and structures to deploy; few of which are actually prepared to deal with this kind of environment, however, so you had best get cracking with resource gathering and R&D that would make XCOM look like chumps.

Playstyle is simple: you may pick a character, any character within reason that may be part of the Guild. Imagine a paramilitary organization with access to infantry (of varying quality in equipment), tanks, helicopters, etc., but also more futuristic designs such as hovercraft and mechs of various sizes and loadouts. Aside from this, though, there will also be engineering and research crews, not to mention the resource harvesters and constructors that make all this possible. You may select whichever type of character you want and the general job they may have, and also give them a gender. I will decide the base level of tech you have access to based on the typical D6 roll; higher is, of course, better. Low and you get stuck with ballistics while your squadmates get lasers. You could be anything from an infantry officer to a scouting mech pilot to a harvester driver to an engineering mastermind who develops new tools, weapons, and equipment for other players and friendly forces in the field.

Before play begins, all players must take a vote on what name their Guild should take. Selecting an insignia/emblem/coat of arms is also highly encouraged, as is suggesting a brief backstory of the nature of the Guild and their general line of work. I'd like to see as much player involvement with world-building as possible, though I will throw a few bones here and there to try and keep things interesting.
Quote from: RTD Standard 1.0 ruleset
Simply post an action and I will roll for it, based on a scale of 1-6 in terms of success.
[1]: Critical failure. Your efforts only worsened your situation. Attempting to shoot at a target only to have the shot ricochet and strike an ally falls under this category.
[2]: Failure. You failed to achieve whatever action you attempted, though you may not have made things worse.
[3]: Meager success. You may have progressed a little or saw something new, but usually nothing close to what you were hoping.
[4]: Success. You achieved your goal more or less in line with average expectations.
[5]: Epic success. You went above and beyond achieving your goal, and usually got very lucky, as well.
[6]: Overshot. You achieved your goal, but your efforts were so much that collateral damage or the creation of additional problems is likely. Think "You leap to attack the creature on the cliff ... sending you both flying off the edge!"

If at any time something threatens a player (i.e. being attacked), that player may make a roll to avoid the threat. Damage incurred or inflicted is also calculated by dice. Certain abilities, technologies, and effects can influence the roll positively or negatively.
Quote from: RTD Advanced Rulings
For each action, any number of rolls may be made, as determined by the GM.
Primary causes for multiple rolls include, but are not limited to:

* Actions explicitly composed of multiple actions
    * Actions that imply other actions that are not declared free

For every dodge roll, any number of additional rolls may be made, as determined by the circumstances, and any skills or special effects applied to the player.
Quote from: RTD Extended 1.3 Rules
Each successive dodge roll during a turn, unless it is a dodge against the same object or character, will get a -1 bonus.

If you are Stunned, Dazed, or otherwise receive a temporary penalty to overall or individual rolls, this penalty lasts until your next action is resolved, and not through the whole turn.
If you receive a long-term effect that has the potential to alter itself, you get an Effect Resistance roll immediately after your action is resolved to determine the spread and consequences of the effect.
If you are Unconscious, whatever penalty you receive will not reduce your roll score below 2, unless stated otherwise.
If you receive a mortal wound but are not killed outright, you need to pass a roll to dodge Death at the end of every turn. Only bad rolls here will provide penalties to survival rolls.

You can spend your turn to help another player achieve his goal. If your roll is higher, it is taken as the success roll for the action.
You can also spend your turn to botch another player's action. If your roll is higher, its opposite is taken as the success roll for the action.
In both cases, individual player rolls determine what happens to the players in the course of the action.

Permadeath is in effect. No ghost characters will be created when a player is killed; however, resurrection is not out of the question, if you have the proper tools and technology to do the job, and the remains aren't too badly mangled. Insane psionic powers or crazy physics are possible, too, though not at the game's outset; XCOM wouldn't have been much fun if you unlocked supersoldiers and higher alien tech right at the start, now would it?  8)

Playerlist:
Tiruin (Amelia Tenrin, female, transport pilot)
Kevak (Eri Verik, male, global harvesting coordinator)
Pobiega (Galina Popova, female, 2nd Lt. / Mech. Inf)
Suppaidaman! (Athur Marsh, male, general)
werty892 (Malachi Kelly, male, research/engineering chief)
TopHat (Liam McClyers, male, explorer)
Hawk132 (Joshua Thompson, male, veteran mech pilot/platoon leader)
wer6 (F.A.L.L.E.N, neuter, AI/systems coordinator)

Co-author/GM list:
Kevak

If anyone has any advice to offer me or questions to ask, please do so. I'll be editing this and making things easier to understand as and when I have time. Have fun!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:10:23 pm by Xvareon »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: GuildVerse - Let's exploit a planet!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:19:35 pm »

PTW/Post :D

Before play begins, all players must take a vote on what name their Guild should take. Selecting an insignia/emblem/coat of arms is also highly encouraged, as is suggesting a brief backstory of the nature of the Guild and their general line of work. I'd like to see as much player involvement with world-building as possible, though I will throw a few bones here and there to try and keep things interesting.
Voting for Guild Name: Genesis; Possible motto "Vivere ex nihilo" or "Tua vita facies"; "Audaces fortuna iuvat" would even work here.
Insignia displays merely two prominent colors; Burnished Gold and black--the background is the former, the insignia it the latter.
The players' Guild in question in this game is currently about to enter orbit over a verdant gaia-like world over twice the size of Earth, and with an even more diverse -- and dangerous -- array of flora and fauna to deal with, as well as untold mysteries to be explored that may lead to great riches, or the downfall of your expedition...
I'd move that for our Guild to be useful, as its backstory says, is that it should be and have utilities for a goal of this proportions. I'm thinking a more exploratory-oriented Guild, along with supply and colonization goals.

Hmm.
Playstyle is simple: you may pick a character, any character within reason that may be part of the Guild. Imagine a paramilitary organization with access to infantry (of varying quality in equipment), tanks, helicopters, etc., but also more futuristic designs such as hovercraft and mechs of various sizes and loadouts. Aside from this, though, there will also be engineering and research crews, not to mention the resource harvesters and constructors that make all this possible. You may select whichever type of character you want and the general job they may have, and also give them a gender. I will decide the base level of tech you have access to based on the typical D6 roll; higher is, of course, better. Low and you get stuck with ballistics while your squadmates get lasers. You could be anything from an infantry officer to a scouting mech pilot to a harvester driver to an engineering mastermind who develops new tools, weapons, and equipment for other players and friendly forces in the field.
Name: Amelia Tenrin
Sex: Female
Profession: Transport/General Pilot, skilled in navigation, avionics and biology.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:42:36 am by Tiruin »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »

First up, you want there to be any skills? Like, for example, strength or intuition?
Or perhaps a strengths and flaws system? So I could pick 'Quick reader (minor)' which gives me some bonus to reading transcripts?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:04:33 pm »

I'm interested~

Could help GM also if you need help~

Name: Eri Verik
Profession: Global Harvesting Coordinator. ((Basically the one responsible for planning out mining bases and one of the many people involved in the design and fielding of mining and engineering equipment.))
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:01:54 am by Kevak »

Pobiega

• Bay Watcher
  • [RTD_POSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:41:05 am »

Reserving a spot!

Guild name: New Genesis (I liked Tiruin's idea but added "new" to make it be "fresh start")
Guild motto: Ex Cineris In Ignis (From Ashes into Flame.)
Guild insignia:

Normally, the guild would extract anything of value and leave the world a barren husk - but this one is different. The location is perfect, the world itself rich with resources and interesting possibilities for research, and the guild could use a homeworld. Let's make it this one.

Short-term goals: Explore, secure and exploit the planet.
Long-term goals: Sustainable, populated homeworld.

Name: Galina Popova
Profession: Second lieutenant in the mechanized infantry.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:56:46 am by Pobiega »

Suppaidaman!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:25:56 pm »

Hi, I'm new here! If I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know!

Name: Athur Marsh
Profession: General of the fourth expeditionary division

Also, I'll put my vote in for the New Genesis guild.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:37:51 pm by Suppaidaman! »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:29:16 pm »

Guild name: New Genesis (I liked Tiruin's idea but added "new" to make it be "fresh start")
Guild motto: Ex Cineris In Ignis (From Ashes into Flame.)
Guild insignia:

Ok, I'm putting my +1 to this thing O_O
I was planning to make a customized insignia, inspired by XCOM's motif style and most of the ol' European heraldric styles too. :P

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:28:53 pm »

Guild name: Eximious Corporation, also known as the Guild of many stars.
Guild Motto:Unum enim et multa enim(For one and for Many)
Guild Insignia:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Backstory:Originally, the Eximious Corporation was a medium sized reaserch and develepoment company on Old Earth, until they ended up discovering a method of FTL travel(I don't know what the gm is running with, so I'm just sticking this in here.) This lead them to leading the race for new planets in the hostile environment of outer space, and eventually established them as the largest corporation in space.

I like the goals that Podiega suggested, so let's go with that.
Short-term goals: Explore, secure and exploit the planet.
Long-term goals: Sustainable, populated homeworld.

Character:
Name:Malachi Kelly
Profession:Director of the Research and Engineering core for the expedition.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:04 pm »

Name: Liam McClyers
Profession: Explorer

Guild Vote - Eximious Corporation
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:09 pm »

Guild Insignia:
Backstory:Originally, the Eximious Corporation was a medium sized reaserch and develepoment company on Old Earth, until they ended up discovering a method of FTL travel(I don't know what the gm is running with, so I'm just sticking this in here.) This lead them to leading the race for new planets in the hostile environment of outer space, and eventually established them as the largest corporation in space.

Heh... wow, werty, did you actually make that emblem (under the spoiler) on the spot just for this?

So far I'm seeing quite a few interested people for this thing, and all in less than 24 hours... I really appreciate all the ideas and contributions, guys, keep it up. I'm gonna look at revising/clarifying the rules and world-building elements up there in the main post pretty soon, but yeah, FTL travel is more or less common, but since it's so expensive to use, let alone fabricate, only the stronger Guilds tend to have access to it -- this basically means that they can control who has access to convenient interstellar travel and who does not. Your 'Guild' in this game is one of those lucky Guilds, although they're starting to feel like they're on the shaky end of the ladder when it comes to resources and technology, so they're expanding outward in hopes of finding a solid base to get resources from and gain an edge over their rivals. Lo and behold -- they find this practically untouched world, and they seem to be the first ones to it. It probably won't stay that way for too long, though...

Oh, and Kevak, Tiruin told me a little about you.  :) If you really do want to help out on this, come find me on Skype (my name is umbranoth) or Chatango (I can send you a link to my channel). Or just send me a PM. I really appreciate you wanting to assist, 'cause I feel like I'll need all the help you can get.

Of course, that may be true for you guys, too... ';..;'

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 03:59:22 pm »

Sent on Skype~

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:30 pm »

Name: Joshua Thompson
Profession: Veteran Mech Pilot/Platoon Leader

Voting for Eximious Corp.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 05:23:04 pm »

Guild Insignia:

Heh... wow, werty, did you actually make that emblem (under the spoiler) on the spot just for this?

So far I'm seeing quite a few interested people for this thing, and all in less than 24 hours... I really appreciate all the ideas and contributions, guys, keep it up. I'm gonna look at revising/clarifying the rules and world-building elements up there in the main post pretty soon, but yeah, FTL travel is more or less common, but since it's so expensive to use, let alone fabricate, only the stronger Guilds tend to have access to it -- this basically means that they can control who has access to convenient interstellar travel and who does not. Your 'Guild' in this game is one of those lucky Guilds, although they're starting to feel like they're on the shaky end of the ladder when it comes to resources and technology, so they're expanding outward in hopes of finding a solid base to get resources from and gain an edge over their rivals. Lo and behold -- they find this practically untouched world, and they seem to be the first ones to it. It probably won't stay that way for too long, though...
The emblem I made using this. So it's not as hard as it looks :P But I like this concept, so I thought why not put in some effort? Anyways, I might help out eventually, if you need it.
How does one FTL travel? Warpgates, wormholes, big engines, etc. And what makes it expensive? Just curious for writing up a backstory, no pressure on you to answer this quickly.
Name: Joshua Thompson
Profession: Veteran Mech Pilot/Platoon Leader

Voting for Eximious Corp.
Hawk! Update you know what :P

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:27 pm »

I'm already taking part in way too much, so PTW.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

Name: F.A.L.L.E.N
Gender: Technically Neuter, but due to its Chaotic software tendencies, Randomly identifies with either.
Profession: Robotic systems AI coordinator,Specialized for Orbital Constructions.
(Think the/A Computer that controls most automated  and too-dangerous-for-humans things, and probably anything with a wireless signal)

Guild Vote - Eximious Corporation
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:55:45 pm by wer6 »
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4