Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bay 12 archaeology  (Read 11286 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 archaeology
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 03:51:51 pm »

So when was that, originally? And what's the cutoff for "Great Old One" status now?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 04:01:32 pm »

What haven't I PTWed this?

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 04:04:05 pm »

I'd say Great Old Ones were around before the forum re-organization in 2009, but I'm too new to really decide the matter.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 12:47:38 am »

This is true, I don't even recognize your avatar, and there was a time when I recognized basically everyone in the lower boards.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:30 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_gornon.html

In the capital of Irigoth, Gornon was driven by poverty to steal. He cut coin purses from unsuspecting travelers with a knife he stole from the kitchen of the inn in which he was staying. The capital was huge, and he never robbed locals who could identify him. Then came the day of the food riot. The army had long been at war and provisions sent to them had stretched thin the resources of the city. The peasant farmers outside the city wall had refused to pay the increasing taxes of grain and animals. Many farms had been burned by the city guard. The rabble inside the city, fueled by hunger and blocked by the guard from leaving the slum, set fire to their own homes. With the guard busy containing the riot, Gornon donned a dark cloak one night and snuck into the merchant district. He broke into shop after shop, filling his large bag with gold and valuables. The fires crept closer. The guard had lost control of the mob and wholesale slaughter had begun.

This is the first Threetoe story currently posted on the site.  These stories, while entertaining, were written to show how the worlds of Dwarf Fortress work.  Most of the stories have a appendix relating game elements to the story.  This first story tells you a lot about adventuring, everything from how civilizations and sites work to skinning a goblin and turning it into clothing.  I just think its a very unique and creative way to describe the universe.  While there is encyclopedic information at the end of some of the stories, it still gives an insight into not only how the game engine works but how Toady and Threetoe think about how their fantasy works.  And while Toady does post up dev notes and planned additions, reading the stories can give you an idea of what may come next to add on and fit into the world mechanics they are crafting.  Unfortunately, there hasn't been any stories since before DF2012.  The most recent story describes HFS and other unholy dealings.  So check it out to see the minds behind the madness.
My extended sig

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »

My favourite Threetoe story was Cado's Magical Journey. The system it presented was something to think on and also was generally well written.
It is a shame that there haven't been any recently. I get the feeling that the stories have been forgotten under other work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 09:01:09 am »

I once made an adventurer in Genesis Mod named Karki Boneruns the Gilded Glow. He was a wyvern, because I was feeling lazy and wanted to see what I could do as one of the deadly creatures of Genesis. Karki was an odd fellow; he liked biting
people in obscure places and waiting until they melted to death. One day, after having a wonderful time killing a village of centaurs, he decided to go clear out a bandit camp. He went there, only to find one of my previous adventurers already there, killing the crap out of everyone there. I decided to help him, and the first thing he does after killing everyone there is shield-bash me in the head, killing me. I later looked in Karki's Legends file and found out his corpse was mounted on a pike. Never going there again.

EDIT: First post. I've lurked for a while and I think I've finally found a community crazier than me! I'll have to work on my skills!

Thanks to BFEL, I stole this from his Sigtext.  Also, he accidentally double-posted.  What a start!  Unfortunately GWG's first posts are not terribly interesting.
My extended sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 09:32:05 am »

I just made a troubling dicovery. LSP used to use punctuations and correct capitalization as recently as last year.

Holy shit did this thread manage not to be ignored. Thank you for the support, it's probably going to be a long and uneventful ride. It's time for wizardly updates, I guess.

Employment continues to be in limbo with the manager getting continuously more upset at the higher-ups due to their fuckups which are slowly escalating into disaster-level with shit being lost left and right. I've been reading The Golden Bough as nenjin recommended and after being three chapters in I'm still at it, so I'm probably par for the course. Located a small shop on the outskirts of town specializing in handicraft supplies where I probably could get my felt, but at this hour it'd be closed before I got to it - going to raid it tomorrow. I also found some notes from days past which I'm kind of hesitant to try... We'll see what happens when it happens, I guess. I just felt that it's necessary to give you something to say that I'm going through with this.

I used to practice meditation for a while, and the clarity of mind is something highly desirable, though I never got very far with it. I'll start trying to enter such a state in about two hours, the book won't read itself.

Could you believe this post is LSP's?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:18 pm »

I just made a troubling dicovery. LSP used to use punctuations and correct capitalization as recently as last year.

Holy shit did this thread manage not to be ignored. Thank you for the support, it's probably going to be a long and uneventful ride. It's time for wizardly updates, I guess.

Employment continues to be in limbo with the manager getting continuously more upset at the higher-ups due to their fuckups which are slowly escalating into disaster-level with shit being lost left and right. I've been reading The Golden Bough as nenjin recommended and after being three chapters in I'm still at it, so I'm probably par for the course. Located a small shop on the outskirts of town specializing in handicraft supplies where I probably could get my felt, but at this hour it'd be closed before I got to it - going to raid it tomorrow. I also found some notes from days past which I'm kind of hesitant to try... We'll see what happens when it happens, I guess. I just felt that it's necessary to give you something to say that I'm going through with this.

I used to practice meditation for a while, and the clarity of mind is something highly desirable, though I never got very far with it. I'll start trying to enter such a state in about two hours, the book won't read itself.

Could you believe this post is LSP's?
FIFY

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 12:21:32 pm »

I read the thread. And now I need a new detector of Holyshitons, mine broke.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

Some of you are familiar with the statistics center at the bottom of the main page. Most of you aren't, probably, because it's tucked away. Go check it out before continuing.

With me? Good! Do you like data? No? Too bad! Here's a spreadsheet!

That spreadsheet is the collection of the data from the very bottom of the statistics center, in Excel format with "fancy" graphs. Topics per day/month, Posts per day/month, New members per day/month and Most members online at once per day/month. It's all there. Except for 2008. Which I can add later if asked.

I thought that you all might be interested, so here you go.
By the way, the early 2010 and 2012 spikes are undoubtedly DF2010 and DF2012, incase you were wondering. December 8th, 2010 is still a mystery to me, however.
That said, Haspen did some digging and came back with this:
According to devlog, that day Toady posted a bunch FotF reply links... and that's it v:

If you haven't followed this link in his sig, this is a neat thread.

Also, LSP's first post:
Get out while you still can, you mad fool.
  Foreshadowing!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:45:58 pm by Omeganaut »
My extended sig

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2014, 03:11:03 pm »

Note the timestamp of when that was posted, and then the timestamp of when he last edited that post :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 06:24:03 pm »

You are right, I hit the wrong quote button.  Here is his original post, preserved via a response.
>implying that the fortress has any chance for survival before it's my turn
Ah, what the hell. Count me in.

Consider yourself added, greentexter

Also Kael, are you THE Kael from FFH?
My extended sig

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »

Fuck, 2010 is worthy of archaeology now? I had an account then. THIS IS MODERN, GODDAMMIT.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »

I think first posts are an exception.
My extended sig
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5