Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tamed Creatures Should be Added to Civilization List  (Read 983 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Tamed Creatures Should be Added to Civilization List
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:01:32 am »

Title says it all. When I go out and tame some crocodiles to the point that the civ I am playing as now knows everything about them and the fortress falls, when I start up another fort as the same civ I think it should be that I can select to bring them in as war animals or regular pets, much like you can do with dogs.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Tamed Creatures Should be Added to Civilization List
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:38:15 pm »

That's a good idea, but with some limitations. Suuuch aaaas-
1: Fanciful or megabeasts should not be able to go back to the civ, for obvious balance reasons.
2: Maybe a size cap? I can't really see in my mind the (seemingly cramped from adventure mode perspective) dwarven fortresses having space for elaphants or a bunch of giant moose. The fortresses do seem cramped. Maybe cap it at giant cat-grizzly size?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:12:31 pm »

1: Fanciful or megabeasts should not be able to go back to the civ, for obvious balance reasons.

I think if you've managed to capture and domesticate a breeding pair of megabeasts, you've already "won" the game and deserve to watch how your civ conquers the world with wardragons. At least when these sort of things become possible. 'Sides, they would probably cost a zillion embark points anyway.

2: Maybe a size cap? I can't really see in my mind the (seemingly cramped from adventure mode perspective) dwarven fortresses having space for elaphants or a bunch of giant moose. The fortresses do seem cramped. Maybe cap it at giant cat-grizzly size?

I'm sure dorfs are capable of making room for huge creatures, they just haven't domesticated anything larger than a cow yet.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:22:37 pm »

Balance does need to come into play, though.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:54 pm »

Balance will come naturally once traps are overhauled/nerfed, tamed carnivorous creatures actually require food/water, and creature sizes are better taken into account generally (in regards to containment, transportation, etc.)

I wouldn't want a system, however, where I tame and breed two dragons in some fort and suddenly the dwarven economy is flooded with baby dragons for sale. Since megabeasts are historical figures IIRC, it wouldn't be too difficult to keep track of their activities and offspring post-worldgen. For more mundane creatures (like say, jabberers), I think it'd make more sense if the dwarf that tamed these creatures could migrate back to the mountainhomes to teach his brethren the secrets of jabberer taming before the caravans start bringing them along as common livestock.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:00:24 pm »

With the ability to send armies out of the fort/ request reinforcements, I'd love to retire a fort and have them arrive as reinforcements one hundred years later in a different fort, cave dragons and hydras heading the charge. But only from that fort.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:27:45 pm »

Perhaps you could send a breeding pair back with the instructions to the caravans of "These are for the Mountainhomes for breeding. Not eating."
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:59 pm »

Perhaps you could send a breeding pair back with the instructions to the caravans of "These are for the Mountainhomes for breeding. Not eating."

Urist McVisionary, king has mandated the construction of cave dragon steaks.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »

I'd go into adventure mode and kill that king as an elf for threatening my precious cave dragons. *Pets a cave dragon* It's okay Arnold, I wont let the king eat you...

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:16:08 pm »

Urist McVisionary, king has mandated the construction of cave dragon steaks.

This made me laugh so hard for some reason..
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/