Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Splitting Carpentry and Masonry into Construction and Crafting subtypes?  (Read 1087 times)

Jebediah`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly I think it would make quite a bit of sense. I know there are workarounds using burrowing and workshop profile tools, but it'd make things quite a bit simpler to be able to tell your Legendary mason via simple job toggles that he should be in the workshop making those badass doors everyone loves while his apprentices are the ones handling the wall construction jobs you put down. Sure, making sure that he's the only one allowed in the "quality" mason shop is half of that, but unless you burrow him in there and set up a needlessly complex feed system to ensure he doesn't have to get the rocks himself, he's going to abandon his logical post and leave those fancy masterwork doors unmade in order to join the Dabblers and Novices and waste his talent by throwing up walls and stairs.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Splitting Carpentry and Masonry into Construction and Crafting subtypes?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:05:43 pm »

I think building should be one skill. Trainable and perhaps merged with architecture.

Is there any difference between assembling walls out of bricks of wood, stone, glass or metal? Perhaps rough walls should be mason/carpenter/smith labor since they are actually similar and maybe even train them.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:08:57 pm »

Is there any difference between assembling walls out of bricks of wood, stone, glass or metal?
Wood blocks need to be nailed, stone needs mortar, glass and ceramic need glazing, and metal probably needs welding/soldering. Probably anybody could do the job, but familiarity with the material might help avoid mistakes.

Given how constructing neither requires nor builds skills, it could probably become an unskilled labor like hauling. If that's going to change in the future, then they can keep their respective skills and just divide each labor into workshop and construction variants, with rough materials requiring more skill to work with.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:11:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:13:04 pm »

Is there any difference between assembling walls out of bricks of wood, stone, glass or metal?
How there isn't?.
I think building should be one skill. Trainable and perhaps merged with architecture.
Perhaps rough walls should be mason/carpenter/smith labor
Skills and labors are different things, however.
So it may still be carpentry skill, but if "building/construction" was a separate labor that can be turned off, an unarmored carpenter with bad endurance won't leave the cozy workshop and lug his butt to the other end of a map across the badger-ridden terrain just to fall down exhausted when he's there. Which is indeed a good idea.
The same can be done via burrows, but YMMV as to what's more convenient.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"