Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress for the BLind: Advice sought  (Read 55119 times)

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress for the BLind: Advice sought
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2016, 11:10:19 am »

I'm popping here cause quite frankly you deserve a lot of respect for playing this game while blind.

And well you have my mad respects man.

Love Boat murder

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2016, 03:41:48 pm »

I'm popping here cause quite frankly you deserve a lot of respect for playing this game while blind.

And well you have my mad respects man.
That and his forts are better than any of mine. and i can see. Which demonstrates a superb amount of Stubborness and Intelligence on his part
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2017, 04:00:19 pm »

Hey, all,

I've been playing Cataclysm lately, which isn't DF, though does share some of the big "open world," aesthetic.

I'm dropping back in here to say that I'm still very much interested in  this game, though don't know if we're better off focusing on Adventure mode for now. Considering the original age of this thread, perhaps it's appropriate that I reappear on Easter.

I do hope some more programming work might be done on some of the accessibility ideas mentioned. I wish I had the coding talent myself.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2017, 06:15:02 am »

Glad to see u don't forget DF) 8)
I wish community help you more

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2017, 04:34:15 pm »

The curses-based mode on Linux is still my best shot at playing this game, as things stand. I wish that weren't the case, as the Linux screen reader comes with some pretty hefty limitations.

The biggest issues are getting a sense of what the map looks like, and being able to explore it. The DFHack plugins mentioned earlier in this thread do quite a bit to help with that, but it's still a somewhat odd experience. I really should re-download the game. I wish there were a way to get the terminal cursor to stay in a predictable spot, that would help a great deal for adventure mode, at least.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2017, 06:37:56 pm »

doesn't "mousecontrols" have stable cursor?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2017, 06:44:12 pm »

Possibly, but as a blind gamer a mouse is mostly useless for me. :) The cursor I'm talking about isn't the DF cursor at all, it's the cursor used to "draw," windows in terminal/text print mode. I think earlier posts in this thread went into a bit more detail about the distinction.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:28 pm »

I think I found a way to get the terminal cursor over the fortress mode cursor (k, q, etc.). I'm not sure about adventure mode, though. Is there a specific location you're thinking of?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2017, 09:34:29 pm »

I think I found a way to get the terminal cursor over the fortress mode cursor (k, q, etc.). I'm not sure about adventure mode, though. Is there a specific location you're thinking of?

I was wondering about having the terminal cursor over the player character, if possible. That makes most traditional roguelikes more or less playable by default. The flow would be something like, "move the terminal cursor over the PC at the end of processing every turn."

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2017, 05:09:48 pm »

Just trying to keep this thread alive :)

I reinstalled DF on my Linux machine, and despite segmentation faults on startup two times out of three, I've managed to generate a world and create an adventurer. The most pressing problem right now involves the way my screen reader handles blinking characters. Every time the character blinks, it gets repeated, so I hear a constant stream of "U," "U," "u," when trying to get a feel for the map.

I can disable my program's reading of new text entirely, but that requires me to scan the screen manually every turn just in case a new message shows up. This is hardly ideal.

Unfortunately, I gather that there's no way to disable the blinking, even in text mode. I take comfort in the fact it seems kind of annoying visually too.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2017, 10:16:55 am »

Yes, the blinking can get quite annoying sometimes. I like the way Cataclysm handles stacked items a lot better. For those who dont know: in cataclysm, the background just indicates that there is more than one item, and you have to look manually to see it. However, cataclysm also has a "list of viewable objects/monsters" screen, which I imagine to be quite useful for you. unless cata is SDL-based too?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:23 am »

Cataclysm does have an SDL version, but also has a regular Curses/console-based port. It's far more playable for me than DF is at the moment. The ability to disable  blinking, and its handling of the terminal cursor, are big reasons for that. :)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2017, 01:15:23 pm »

has anyone tried involving Toady into this? i imagine he would have an idea or two...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »

I'd love to get his perspective on this, if only to see if some relatively small changes could be made to the Linux console version. Those would go a long way to making the game more pleasant. The larger, or non-console changes, might be more of a community project, since I realize this is super specialized to begin with.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2017, 02:31:31 pm »

Future of the fortress blud
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17