Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Microsoft Paint Pattern Fill. How to?  (Read 18450 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Microsoft Paint Pattern Fill. How to?
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:42:14 pm »

Hi.

I'm currently doing this for a forum game perhaps soon to be here.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145111.0

I know there used to be a way to take a pattern, in Microsoft paint and use the fill with color tool (the little thing that looks like a can of paint pouring out). This basically made it so you could fill an entire area with a pattern in one click. As you can see from the images in that thread, this functionality would be very helpful to me. Anybody remember how to do that?

Thank you for your time.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Paint Pattern Fill. How to?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »

Microsoft paint has gradients, squirreled away in a hidden menu.

I dunno about a pattern persay. Windows 8 doesn't appear to have the same paint program so I can't check it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:21:13 pm »

Thanks eerr.

I replied to your PM after I whipped up some very basic checker's stuff for you and whatever. Let me know how that works or if it does.

As for the Microsoft Paint thing, yeah, that would be lovely to find if anybody knows. I'm using Windows 7 if that's at all informative.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »

If I recall correctly, windows 7 was the version that gutted paint and made it terrible. But so far as I know...no, there is no native pattern fill ability, regardless.

However, you can get the effect you want by manually copy and pasting the shape you want to fill into a blank area, copy paste for 2, copy paste for 4, etc. Once the area is filled, then copy the area you want to fill, with the empty space set as the background color. Then paste it on top of the pattern you pasted. Then use the fill tool to remove the extra edges you don't want copied (or use the lasso to select the area inside it) then copy the remaining pattern and paste it into the are you want it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:15:44 pm »

Honestly though, what you want to do would probably take less than 3 minutes in GIMP if I'm reading your question properly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »

If I recall correctly, windows 7 was the version that gutted paint and made it terrible. But so far as I know...no, there is no native pattern fill ability, regardless.

However, you can get the effect you want by manually copy and pasting the shape you want to fill into a blank area, copy paste for 2, copy paste for 4, etc. Once the area is filled, then copy the area you want to fill, with the empty space set as the background color. Then paste it on top of the pattern you pasted. Then use the fill tool to remove the extra edges you don't want copied (or use the lasso to select the area inside it) then copy the remaining pattern and paste it into the are you want it.

I was afraid they would screw up paint by gutting it. :(

As for the rest of that, is this what you're talking about?:

I'd like that to be done by making a fill function that gives a pattern to an area much as it does with a solid color. Instead of filling with a solid color, fill with the grass tile pattern, for example. No?

Honestly though, what you want to do would probably take less than 3 minutes in GIMP if I'm reading your question properly.

As you can imagine, I know very little about gimp or many other programs. It has been about 10 years since I have really drawn something by trying. I used to be considered fairly good at it, especially for a non professional hobbyist. I can still make stuff with what most would consider great effort, but my tools are out of date (and it appears Windows 7 has a crap version of paint to boot) What is gimp? Is it expensive, hard to learn or anything like that? I hope you don't mind the question.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:36:06 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:05:24 pm »

Wow, you put in a remarkable amount of effort into that, especially with Paint. Kudos!

GIMP is basically a free version of photoshop, but a little less user-friendly so I've heard (I don't know, never felt like paying for photoshop). Check out the website here. There is a specific command to do exactly what you want. There's... I dunno thousands of tutorials everywhere on the internet. I've yet to google (task) in GIMP and get nothing useful. You seem to have a great grasp of the basic concepts, I doubt you'd have trouble picking it up in a day or two.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:15:19 pm »

Yeah, plus one to GIMP. It's free, not particularly unfriendly, and should do ninety-five percent of all your image processing needs.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »

Thank you very much for the link to GIMP. I think I'll give it a try.

Recommend any tutorials? I realize I could search on youtube or something, but if there are a ton of them, then I might not pick the best one. It's not a life or death thing, of course, but I just don't know if there's a standard tutorial or person people go to on this stuff.

Please don't quote me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 04:08:45 pm »

Really recommend GIMP. Have used it since college, like 10 years now. Once you know how to use its tools, doing exactly what you want would be dead simple.

If I grok at a glance what you want, it's basically what I did to create this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136638.msg5035603#msg5035603

As far as tutorials....with GIMP I've generally found I can figure out most of the basic stuff, and I google for tutorials specifically related to what I can't figure out.

But here's some really useful things to google/tools I use all the time:

-Fuzzy Select Tool
-Invert Selection
-Paths Tool
-Selection From Path
-Stroke Path
-Basically everything under the Image/Layer options at the top.

And absolutely, positively Google for some tutorials on using Layers. I went years being too lazy to learn about them, and using Layers made GIMP twice as easy to use. Also, CNTRL + Z to undo if you don't already do that. Which after all that effort you put out above, you probably do.

Funny story about GIMP. When I was in college doing visual design and photo editing, my professor came over to see what I was doing, and noted the program I was using wasn't anything they'd showed us how to use in class. He asked what it was and I told him the name. He heard it and looked at me like he was about ready to kill me. I should mention he's a Vietnam vet who'd lost his hand and had a metal grasper claw replacement. Thank god I knew what the acronym stood for, and rattled it off like my life depended on it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:20:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 02:16:17 am »

I haven't really followed a specific series of tutorials. So far I've gotten everything I need almost immediately with just google-fu. "beveled metallic edges in GIMP" and whatnot. Definitely look into Layers first, they're by far the most critical and powerful element of using the program well.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 06:07:09 am »

And if you can't get into GIMP, there's always Paint.net

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.