Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The best possible weapons.  (Read 2809 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
The best possible weapons.
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:20:29 pm »

Okay, so we have quite a few weapons in Dwarf Fortress vanilla. Hundreds more in mods. I'm just wondering, though: what would make the best possible weapon?
I haven't gotten into weapon modding yet, but I understand the basics, such as high contact area slashes are better, low contact stabs are better, and low contact bashes are better. But what's the perfect ratio for a really effective weapon?
I'd like to have a weapon that can handle all situations well, like a super-sword or something, but not that over powered. Also, in civ raws, can you have something really hard to get, more so than uncommon?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: The best possible weapons.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:26:20 pm »

High velocity makes everything better, so giving a weapon attacks with a high velocity, especially with low prepare/recovery times, would make it really powerful.

As far as it goes, if it's in the entity as a WEAPON, they can forge it whenever it pleases.  However, one thing you COULD do is make a weapon and assign it to no entity.  This would make it possible for it to be produced as an Artifact, but ONLY as an artifact - as artifacts are chosen randomly from the appropriate entries (that's why dwarves can make artifact bows and other weapons dwarves can't normally forge).  The more other weapons you have, the less likely it is to be forged, though.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:36:00 pm »

I like that idea, artifact only. I'm thinking of an axe head on one side, a hammer on the other, with a small spear head on top. Like a mattock, but with a hammer on the back instead of a pick-like blade, and a small blade on top. High velocity, but not super great on penetration, so it's not instant kill.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:22:05 pm »

I like that idea, artifact only. I'm thinking of an axe head on one side, a hammer on the other, with a small spear head on top. Like a mattock, but with a hammer on the back instead of a pick-like blade, and a small blade on top. High velocity, but not super great on penetration, so it's not instant kill.
Warning;  blunt attacks are used FAR less times than sharp attacks.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:41 pm »

I know. It'd probably be best used as an adventurer, with a steel one, as steel makes great hammers and great blades.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:55 pm »

Speaking of weapon design, I'm currently working on a weapon overhaul for the MHU mod, as part of some general improvements.  One issue I've run into is that for some reason the enormous hammers in said game, which are here represented as being about size 900 (seems fairly accurate) seem to also have no ability to, well, crush things.  With the attack as it is currently coded, despite a 1750 velocity, my size 900 iron hammer had to be bounced off an unarmored, unconscious human's skull about six times before it finally crushed it.  Given they look like this:

That seems fairly unrealistic.  How do I make a giant hammer suitably deadly, because right now they're falling FAR below the swords (which are lopping limbs off with aplomb, I must say)
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 10:04:01 pm »

Due to DF physics, you can't.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 08:10:34 am »

Handwave it with that spike and give it a tiny contact areal
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 06:26:58 pm »

give it a much higher velocity multiplier- the velocity multiplier is the number given divided by 1000, so the standard 1000 is just basic, and 1750 is 75% stronger than normal. Try something like 7000 and see what happens.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:46:26 pm »

Seems a bit of a cheat, but on the other hand...  that slam attack IS pretty brutal.  Right now I have a strong attack with it that has about a 3500 velocity multiplier, and that does occasionally fracture a skull.  And hammers are the "raw damage" weapon.  Nothing I can do about the somewhat odd blunt physics currently plaguing combat, I suppose, and it seems silly to give such a huge hammer head a small contact area.

~LegacyCWAL

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:08:37 am »

The term for what you describe is a "poleaxe"
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:23:37 am »

I thought I'd make a quick thing for the poleaxe idea. It looks okay.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_POLEAXE]
[NAME:poleaxe:poleaxes]
[SIZE:800]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:67500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:55000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:40000:6000:hack:hacks:blade:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:stab:stabs:point:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:200:bash:bashes:head:NO_SUB:2000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]

I haven't tested it in the arena yet, hopefully it works ok! I'd imagine a steel version of this would be good in adventure mode.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 08:10:48 am »

Oh, thanks! I'll test it out today.

Sprocket809

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:27 am »

Gave it a try, it seems to be a bit lackluster against armoured opponents (Blunt attacks are barely used so the hammer doesn't get to crush bone too often). Also seems to be a bit slow. The dwarf typically stabs with the tip and hacks with the axe blade, only really striking with the hammerhead and the shaft in odd situations.

It's probably better for unarmoured opponents, seeing as the pointy bits are used more often.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 03:50:27 pm »

I bet it'll do great in adventure mode.
Pages: [1] 2