Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The best possible weapons.  (Read 2812 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: The best possible weapons.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 04:48:53 pm »

Speaking of weapon design, I'm currently working on a weapon overhaul for the MHU mod, as part of some general improvements.  One issue I've run into is that for some reason the enormous hammers in said game, which are here represented as being about size 900 (seems fairly accurate) seem to also have no ability to, well, crush things.  With the attack as it is currently coded, despite a 1750 velocity, my size 900 iron hammer had to be bounced off an unarmored, unconscious human's skull about six times before it finally crushed it.  Given they look like this:

That seems fairly unrealistic.  How do I make a giant hammer suitably deadly, because right now they're falling FAR below the swords (which are lopping limbs off with aplomb, I must say)
900 seems pretty small for that picture you posted. A maul is size 1300 and likely has a much lower volume than that hammer. I'd put that at least at 2500, if not 5000.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 05:13:43 pm »

There is forced perspective in that drawing, so it's hard to tell, but it looks roughly the size of the dude, which would be more like 50,000-60,000 size, like a dwarf is.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 12:57:43 am »

Maybe that's the secret - just make all the weapons absurdly huge (they...  basically are, really)

The end result will of course be that they are also crazy valuable and heavy, but that doesn't seem too unrealistic.

Let me see if I can get a more side-by-side image, but they are about as long as their wielders, generally, although not as thick all around as a person.  I could see them being like half person-size, though.  I myself found Size 900 to be an oddly small amount and had upped it since then (I've been updating the mod, originally made by Iados, with his permission), but maybe they just need to be absolutely enormous.

Here's one being swung away from the body, which at least gives a different perspective.  Most of the other weapons are of similar size in some regard - Greatswords and Switch Axes are probably the next biggest, then Long Swords (about as long as Great Swords, but thinner), then Lances and Gunlances (some of these may actually be bigger than longswords, especially the Gunlances), with Swords being the smallest (about the size of a regular arming sword or short sword) among the melee weapons - swords designed to be used with shields are usually slightly bigger than the swords used in dual pairs, but since you can't force a weapon to be used with a shield I just sort of lumped them into one category.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 09:03:36 am »

There is forced perspective in that drawing, so it's hard to tell, but it looks roughly the size of the dude, which would be more like 50,000-60,000 size, like a dwarf is.
While that's true, I wanted to keep the weapon wieldable as well. 5000 is the largest weapon I have in my mod (with velocity 9000 and 5:5 preparation/recovery; it's pretty ridiculous already), and you probably can't go beyond 10000 and keep weight somewhat reasonable. As a guess, a size of 40000 would be what these weapons actually are. That would be 4/7th the volume of a human, and have a weight that'll slow you down tremendously.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:56 am »

A dwarf sized iron weapon (60,000) would weight 1,038 pounds, lol.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 01:48:33 pm »

Yeah, an attempt at more realistic sizes (which still had nothing go above 25000) resulted in weapons that universally cut speed to .200 or below, owing to their enormous weight.

...bizarrely, most of them STILL failed to penetrate equivalent armor.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »

Gave it a try, it seems to be a bit lackluster against armoured opponents (Blunt attacks are barely used so the hammer doesn't get to crush bone too often). Also seems to be a bit slow. The dwarf typically stabs with the tip and hacks with the axe blade, only really striking with the hammerhead and the shaft in odd situations.

It's probably better for unarmoured opponents, seeing as the pointy bits are used more often.

Try making the hammer an edged attack with zero penetration.
Attacks that fail to penetrate armour get converted to blunt-force damage, so a zero-pen blade is essentially a bludgeon with the AI priority of an edged attack.
This will technically make it possible to butcher corpses with the hammer end, but that's not an issue since you've already got sharp bits elsewhere on the weapon.
Pages: 1 [2]