Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcano Eruptions  (Read 2137 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Volcano Eruptions
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:51 pm »

Volcanoes should be able to erupt in world gen, and in Fortress Mode + Adventure Mode. Also, the eruptions should have some lasting effect on the world. Like if a super volcano similar to the one under Yellow Stone were to erupt, the world would be effected in the same way as our actual world. Changes in climate, ash blanketing the ground for a long ways away, possibly a miniature ice age happening due to the amount of ash in the air. Etc, etc.

What do you all think?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano Eruptions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:37:22 pm »

Well, a super volcano eruption would basically make the world unplayable, unless you like ice. Which, I really don't.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:23 pm »

I mean, I'd like to see something like this implemented.

But considering the amount of work it'd take to work, I'd rather have the ability to invade forest retreats before we start messing around with this stuff. I'd put this on the same level as magic, in that it'll be cool once we have time for it forty years from now.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:46 am »

Even if it were implemented, volcanoes erupt only once in a very long time; it would virtually make no difference in-game and therefore probably isn't adding any crucial game play elements. Although however unlikely it is for a volcano to erupt within world generation, I believe it should still be implemented and that it may be already planned. A better statement wouldn't be that it should be implemented, but how.

I can imagine something among the lines of: "Deity X revealed his rage by raining fire and ash down upon the town of Y".

But as Witty stated, there are more crucial game play elements at hand.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:11:39 am »

Even if it were implemented, volcanoes erupt only once in a very long time; it would virtually make no difference in-game and therefore probably isn't adding any crucial game play elements. Although however unlikely it is for a volcano to erupt within world generation, I believe it should still be implemented and that it may be already planned. A better statement wouldn't be that it should be implemented, but how.

I can imagine something among the lines of: "Deity X revealed his rage by raining fire and ash down upon the town of Y".

But as Witty stated, there are more crucial game play elements at hand.
I think volcano eruptions should fall into a general category of Disasters that gods can mete out on mortals.  Floods, plagues, eruptions, raining elephants, whatever.  This would alter the region permanently, basically regenerating it with a much stronger affinity for the Disaster's Sphere.  (Remember, Good Regions and Evil Regions are a placeholder for a richer Sphere-based system to come.)

The Disaster itself needs some kind of tangible effect because it's always possible for a player to "time travel" by regenning the world and stopping at that point to send an adventurer or embark party, but it doesn't need to be a super-duper high-realism simulation.  A volcanic eruption can be modeled as increasing the top of the magma pipe to 3 over the rim.  The actual rim, even if it's player-built.  And even if it requires adding three layers of sky to get three layers over the player-built rim :)

Similarly, a flood can just increase the top of a body of water, and other effects can re-use the evil weather mechanics.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:00:42 am »

My intution is actually the opposite of above: dwarves live in caverns. They inherently don't care much about supervolcanoes, unless it's right on top of them.

In fact, dwarves are at a huge advantage right after a supervolcano, comparatively.

Could be a nice incentive to get back to your roots as actual cavern dwellers. And it's not that hard to code. Tweak to the temperature gradient, add in some ash contaminants like weather (or even a whole sediment layer), filter out the plants and animals in a quick pass, done-zo. (talking about an aftermath embark sort of thing, not it erupting while you stand there, but even that's just some fires and stuff. Maybe some dust effects and kill anybody on the surface if close enough. No huge deal.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:02:14 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:33:01 am »

My intution is actually the opposite of above: dwarves live in caverns. They inherently don't care much about supervolcanoes, unless it's right on top of them.

In fact, dwarves are at a huge advantage right after a supervolcano, comparatively.

Could be a nice incentive to get back to your roots as actual cavern dwellers. And it's not that hard to code. Tweak to the temperature gradient, add in some ash contaminants like weather (or even a whole sediment layer), filter out the plants and animals in a quick pass, done-zo. (talking about an aftermath embark sort of thing, not it erupting while you stand there, but even that's just some fires and stuff. Maybe some dust effects and kill anybody on the surface if close enough. No huge deal.)

Actually you are kind of wrong.  Dwarves are highly vulnerable to earthquakes, underground lava flows and all the side-effects of what we think of as volcanic activity. 

But basically this fits into the general need for random disasters in general.  (Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Crop Failures, Plagues).