Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Bay12 Bestiary  (Read 12348 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Bestiary
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:57:57 am »

The Deadly Bendlebat.

A small, multi-legged creature of considerable weight, Bendlebeese are known for their ferocious and deadly hunting habits.  These creatures, though nearly invisible to the naked eye, are bright red cephalopods that distinguish themselves from others of the same classification by being land-dwelling non-nocturnal predators.  Many who have witnessed a Bendlebat in the wild, or even more rarely an entire herd of Bendlebeese, have reported that the beautiful creatures display intricate, interlocking spiral patterns upon their skin.  Though these patterns vary from Bendlebat to Bendlebat, all of the North American Bendlebeese have two visible swirls upon their lateral end with a long protruding loop, distinguishing themselves from their South American brethren who only possess the two swirls with accompanying concentric micro-swirls.

The cry of the ferocious Bendlebat as it devours its prey (commonly dust mites and small lady bugs) can be heard for dozens of inches away.  The most common description of this blood-curling cry is that of the Pillsbury Doe Boy's ghastly giggling, and is thought to be an attempt to strike fear into the hearts of it's unfortunate prey.  The Bendlebat will then leap upon it's prey and tickle it mercilessly for hours on end, until the prey is lured into a false sense of security.  Then, and only then, will the Bendlebat gobble up the dust mite whole.  This is truly a disturbing display of nature's ferocity.

Bendlebats reproduce via cuddling, a raunchy and exhausting mating process that can go on for hours.  Once two Bendlebeese have mated, they are mates for life.  Common displays of territorial behavior are displayed by both organisms, such as elaborate friendship bracelets that fit over one of the Bendlebat's many appendages.  The offspring have been known to engage in training for their lives as deadly predators almost immediately.  The young Bendlebeese will participate in games of Patty Cake in order to increase their tentacle-eye coordination, as well as games of Hopscotch to train their agility.  Very rarely in nature do we see organisms prepare for violence at such an early age, once again showing how utterly disturbing and violent the wild Bendlebeese may be.

Our advice here at Bay12 Bestiary is to avoid these horrifying creatures at all cost.  They have been known to attempt to prey upon and mate with those they meet in the wild, and wild speculation puts the death toll of wild Bendlebat attacks at nearly twenty thousand an hour across the globe.  Please, if you hear the horrifying sound of a giggling baby, immediately scream in fear and flee the area as fast as you are physically able.  It may very well save your life.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:59:42 pm by evictedSaint »

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:26:50 pm »

I'm kicking off my creativity! Woohoo...?

Slooms
On close inspection, one would say this specimen was a simple pond. But when the water drips off the trees into it, there is no sound. No splash, no ripple. It is gone. Terror dawns on the split second it takes to pounce. You see, a Sloom is a large, jelly-like creature that closely mimics swampy water when immobile. Not much is known about their true substance and how they seem to erase sound from the area around them, but two things are certain. Their slime is highly valued by Bandibears as a delicacy, and if you see a pondhole with no pond, run. There is either a Bandibear or an irritated Sloom nearby, and neither possibility is good.

<Excerpt from Head Scout Shadwell>
I want out of this damn swamp! I'm leaving my post, this is bullshit! One of my boys saw a Sloom, just sitting a few yards from our post. No hole, nothing! It fucking came after him, faster than anything I've ever seen. It shuffled like something unholy, and I bet it was. We barely drove it off, and by the time it ran he was dead! His legs were gone and the rest of him was... Black. Give me a post with Stormstriders, angry natives, whatever the hell you fucks up there in the Bestiary can dream up, but the next time I see a Sloom it'll be too soon.
Up Yours, Once-Head Scout Shadwell
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:31:02 pm by rabidgam3r »
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 11:52:35 pm »

Finally gotten around to updating the OP.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 11:55:00 pm »

Ooh, interesting!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 12:13:59 am »

I'll have to make sure to write about the Stormstriders tonight. Wow, I'm kind of on a creature-kick. Feel free to incorporate anything I submit into a story if it tickles thine fancy!
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 08:31:29 pm »

(Here's my subpar entry, made in an attempt to revive this.)

The Legion
A race thought to have never existed, though it is a popular race of speculation among those that study civilizations, myths and legends, or the spread of species.  This species has only been mentioned in a journal written by an unknown source outside of a set of engravings within certain temples.  It would be unremarkable if not for the temples being across the entirety of the known world, frequently having gaps of several hundred kilometers between mentionings of the race.  Interestingly, recent contact with a few remote islands has revealed similar structures upon them, despite there being no known way that these islands could have been contacted before.

The passage referring to the race within the structures is always as follows, despite the differences in the writing being used in any of the structures.
"When the White King returns and the world grows strong but arrogant,
the Shell of Chaos will blacken the bright skies and the legion shall return.
If they are not sealed once more before the time of darkness ends, your time is over."

The discovered tablet that contains the reference to the race contains a bit more information.
"The legion has won.  Despite the efforts of [Unknown], the Living Shadows were not sealed within [Unknown].  It is strange, just how far [Unknown] has fallen over the course of a single year after the return of [Unknown].  The Shell of Chaos is beginning to be moving now.  It is strange, no matter when I look at a shadow now, they all seem to be more threatening.  Almost as if they were infected by the Legion totally.  I have enough time remaining for this one message.  Beware the coming of [Unknown].  If [Unknown] grows to power again, the Legion shall come for you and unless you are prepared, another shall replace you."

The style of writing is seen to be similar to a set of ancient structures that are near the largest concentration of Narwhal-Dragons known, though the language is structured similar to English of all things, though the symbols were Phonecian with additional 'letters' that were determined to be letters that were in the English language but not in Phonecian.  This factor leads many to believe it as a planted hoax, though there are those that point out that this was believed to have been found in the depths of one of those structures, in a room that had not been opened.  It is also noteworthy that any names outside of 'the Shell of Chaos' were stricken from the entry by odd marks that are not recognizable of belonging to any known creature, nor able to be explained through any other occurrence outside of an apparent deletion from reality.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 09:00:02 pm »

(Here's my subpar entry, made in an attempt to revive this.)

The Legion
A race thought to have never existed, though it is a popular race of speculation among those that study civilizations, myths and legends, or the spread of species.  This species has only been mentioned in a journal written by an unknown source outside of a set of engravings within certain temples.  It would be unremarkable if not for the temples being across the entirety of the known world, frequently having gaps of several hundred kilometers between mentionings of the race.  Interestingly, recent contact with a few remote islands has revealed similar structures upon them, despite there being no known way that these islands could have been contacted before.

The passage referring to the race within the structures is always as follows, despite the differences in the writing being used in any of the structures.
"When the White King returns and the world grows strong but arrogant,
the Shell of Chaos will blacken the bright skies and the legion shall return.
If they are not sealed once more before the time of darkness ends, your time is over."

The discovered tablet that contains the reference to the race contains a bit more information.
"The legion has won.  Despite the efforts of [Unknown], the Living Shadows were not sealed within [Unknown].  It is strange, just how far [Unknown] has fallen over the course of a single year after the return of [Unknown].  The Shell of Chaos is beginning to be moving now.  It is strange, no matter when I look at a shadow now, they all seem to be more threatening.  Almost as if they were infected by the Legion totally.  I have enough time remaining for this one message.  Beware the coming of [Unknown].  If [Unknown] grows to power again, the Legion shall come for you and unless you are prepared, another shall replace you."

The style of writing is seen to be similar to a set of ancient structures that are near the largest concentration of Narwhal-Dragons known, though the language is structured similar to English of all things, though the symbols were Phonecian with additional 'letters' that were determined to be letters that were in the English language but not in Phonecian.  This factor leads many to believe it as a planted hoax, though there are those that point out that this was believed to have been found in the depths of one of those structures, in a room that had not been opened.  It is also noteworthy that any names outside of 'the Shell of Chaos' were stricken from the entry by odd marks that are not recognizable of belonging to any known creature, nor able to be explained through any other occurrence outside of an apparent deletion from reality.
Damn that's good. And yeah, this thing seems to just lurch back to life every now and then, but staunchly refuse to stay living for a decent amount of time. Adding it to the OP.

And I realize that despite starting it, I've only contributed one (Fairly bland) creature...I should really fix that.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:51 pm »

C+P from my Worldbuilding thread (seems appropriate here also) pretty long, so I guess a summary would be needed if it is to be added to the OP:

The Pipra

Appearance: Pipra are giant terrestrial ant-like creatures measuring about 4 feet tall and 6 feet long. However these measurements vary considerably from caste to caste (explained below) as does their appearance. The most common encountered caste, the so-called Nobles, conduct trade and diplomacy with humans (and on some rare occasions elves), the Warrior caste is also encountered frequently, since they usually accompany Nobles. Nobles are relatively small (compared to the Warriors) measuring about 2-3 feet in height and 4-5 feet in length. They walk on four limbs which sprout from their thorax, the other two limbs are used for grasping, having pincer like extensions at the “wrist” which can rotate freely in 360 degrees. As with all castes of Pipra (or so it is believed) neither the Nobles nor the Warriors have any photo-receptive organs. It is believed that the Pipra primarily use chemo-sense to collect information about their surroundings; neither the mechanism nor the organs which are responsible for this sense are known.

The Nobles lack the large mandibles which Warriors (and it is also believed, Workers) possess, but are nonetheless capable of the peculiar “chittering” language. Their heads are also much more pronounced, almost the same size as their abdomen.

The Warriors, in contrast, are huge, around 4-6 feet tall and 6-9 feet long. They use all six of their limbs to walk and do not seem capable of standing on their hind limbs, though they can easily scale steep cliffs and safely go down near-vertical drops. Their head’s are much smaller than the Nobles, but their mandibles are greatly pronounced and sharp (and, as first-hand experience has regrettably found, can be used as deadly weapons).

Anatomy: Not much is known about Pipra anatomy, only a few traders in the world deal with the Pipra and fewer still have seen more than two castes of the colony. After a great deal of negotiation (and several tons of pyrite) a number of Pipra corpses were bought for dissection. They included members from 3 castes: Warrior, Worker and Nurse

To the surprise of many scholars, the internal physiology between three castes varied so considerably that they could be considered separate species. The degree of specialization, believed to be induced upon birth by magic, causes several major anatomical changes from caste to caste. Creating specialized organs for certain tasks while destroying or making vestigial other organs. For instance, the Nurse caste seems to have a pouch which carries chemicals of a mysterious nature (possibly magical). Feeding these chemicals to rats causes instant death, and their purpose is not understood.

However, there are several things which these castes have in common. All seem to have stomachs and a circulatory system, as well as a nervous system, though the latter two vary considerably in development and complexity from caste to caste. They also all have an auditory system far more sensitive than humans.

The biggest mystery is perhaps that of the Pipra’s diet. They have no teeth; instead their mouths are simple empty holes with large pouches at the sides. The pouches seem to contain an extremely toxic liquid which can burn holes even in metal. It has been theorized by some, that Pipra feed upon stone itself; however, these scholars have been defamed and ostracized from the general community and should not be taken in earnest.

The Pipra stomach and digestive system is the only thing that is truly consistent from caste to caste, yet, as with everything else, their workings remain a mystery.

Language: The Pipra do not have tongues, as such their primary method of communication seems to be chemo-sensitive as well as auditory. The mandibles which all castes are believed to have, can “click” at varying speeds and intervals and serve as a language. Humans have been able to figure out the language more or less through trial and error (quite a bit of error), but the Pipra, despite their looks are a patient and well-meaning race (if a bit introverted and isolationist).

Society: Pipra society is divided into castes. Each caste is differentiated at a physical level to a particular specialized task within the colony. Everything from mandible size to intelligence is controlled from the egg. The prevailing “Hexa-caste theory” claims that there are 6 castes: Queen, Nurse, Noble, Warrior, Worker, and Child. The first two are responsible for hatching and replenishing and caring for, the stock of eggs in the colony. The Noble caste dictates day to day business as an administrative force (they are also diplomats and merchants who trade with other races). The Warrior caste defends the colony from harm. The Worker caste expands the colony, digging deep into the earth and uncovering space and rare metals. The Child caste is hypothetical, but is believed to be a caste of undeveloped Queens, which mature as soon as the current Queen dies.

While contact has been established between humans and Pipra, the Pipra remain an enigmatic and secretive race. The fact that even their diets are unknown is a testament to their rigid isolationist society. What little is known about Pipra come from accounts from traders and merchants who have communed with Nobles during trade negotiations. The Pipra do not seem to any culture or "civilized society" below the Noble caste. Indeed, it has been observed by several merchants on many separate occasions, that the Warriors which usually accompany Nobles seem to be vacant and vapid. Following orders with a machine like precision, they are more automaton than organism. The Nobles, however, do seem to have some customs and habits (and some believe, even religion) though the extent of it is debatable (and debated).

However, the Pipra seem to be a pacifistic race. Neither interested in war, nor conquest of new lands. One merchant recounts an exchange between himself and a Noble, when he had asked the Noble whether he was aware of the existence of Mount Orod. The Noble replied in the negative. When asked whether the Pipra had any intention of future expansion, the Noble replied with indifference, stating "The Pipra do not run to and fro as you humans, for our [life]source lies within the depths. Bring us your stone from this other mountain and we shall trade. Or do not bring it. It matters not, we shall remain regardless."

Some scholars believe such passive indifference toward the world (not unlike the Theastan religion) is a result of racial age (i.e how long the Pipra have been around, which some estimates put around 5-6 million years) as well their general isolation. Nevertheless, there are few that would dare to aggravate the Pipra, peaceful though they are, for while their numbers and their abilities are unknown, they are almost certainly superior to anything that exists on the surface.

One final note about the Pipra, they have no formal writing system (understandable, as they are blind) nor any system of recording sensory input. Some theorize that the Nurse caste acts as recorders for Pipra society, transmitting information through chemical means or through oral tradition to the Nobles, whose superior intelligence coupled with this knowledge allow them to make informed decisions.

Note*

1. Pipra stomachs contain lithotrophic bacterium which allow them to indeed, digest rocks (pyrite, FeS2, in particular is traded only for the sake of food)
2. Pipra mouth-pouches contain concentrated acid to dissolve minerals, how does the mouth and digestive tract tissues remain intact you ask? They don't, like human stomach's they are constantly eroded and regenerated.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:22:30 pm by bahihs »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 09:21:19 pm »

Yeah, that is a bit long for the index...Would you prefer to cut it down yourself, or have me butcher it?

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:01 pm »

Yeah, that is a bit long for the index...Would you prefer to cut it down yourself, or have me butcher it?

Butcher away! Take whatever salient point you like.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 09:43:30 pm »

Wasn't there a thread like that, but specifically for intelligent races?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 04:06:42 pm »

ptw
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 08:23:40 pm »

ptw
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 09:47:57 am »

After 2 years of promising it, here's the bee tree.

Spoiler: Apis gum (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 [2] 3