Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thought Science Thread  (Read 4891 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Thought Science Thread
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:02:48 am »

And thus do I de-lurk for to bring you my observations on the new thought system:

Firstly, my stonecrafter, Tun Delermis.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-became  'stressed'
-started tantrumming   14th Slate
-became 'haggard and drawn due to the tremendous stresses placed on him'
-became 'utterly harrowed by the nightmare that is his life'
-became 'oblivious to reality'    12th Felsite (currently reads as 'on break', with grey ! flashing over tile)
-became 'overthrown by the stresses of day to day living' and is now 'running around babbling'

It is not obvious what caused the stress, apart from the dismemberment of various tick people by war dogs, which was seen by most inhabitants.

Shortly afterwards, a full-blown tantrum spiral formed, due to feeling 'vengeful' or 'terrified' at joining an existing conflict.

N.B. It seems that marksdwarves use their xbows when tantrumming.

Attempts to build an asylum for stressed dwarves with good food, good accommodation and good locks were too little, too late.

A brewer and a gem setter are now 'in depression'.

Will add photos when I know how.

ADDENDUM:
Spirals are now much less deadly, it seems.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:15:52 pm by Insert_Gnome_Here »
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thought Science Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:51:50 am »

By "use their xbows", you mean they actually shoot with them now, instead of using them as clubs?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:55:50 am »

Yes. The room was covered in bolts.
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:42 am »

I have yet to see a dwarf de-stress.

I have two separate families running around who came pre-stressed from being separated from a loved one. In a year, this though has not reduced and despite a whole pile of blissful and pleasurable thoughts up to and including birthing the many, many babies they also came pre-loaded with, they don't feel any better.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:49:10 pm »

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:44:06 pm »

I notice your dwarf "becomes completely helpless in stressful situations". I suspect this might explain why he had so much trouble coping with relatively mundane amounts of existential horror.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 03:04:30 pm »

Plan for science:

-Get fort going
-Place all new migrants in dormitories that have only water, miasma, bad food etc.
-Profit!

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:33:31 pm »

accosted by snails
The horror...
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:28:23 pm »

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a battle axe. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a battle axe . . . and surviving."
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:37 am »

The science begins...
6 dwarves in a newly created world in a 10X10 room with a farm, still and kitchen. So far (5th Malachite), no-one is stressed.
5th Malachite

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 07:44:47 am »

How long did you run history? Every stressed dwarf in my fort is a result of missing one individual with the unfortunate name of Dumat Shootwad. It appears that negative thoughts from missing family stack with no apparent limit, as one of them has anywhere from 6-12 at any given time. He began tantruming a fair amount of time after becoming "haggard," and things such as "felt adoration after becoming a parent" didn't seem to affect him much. (Dream was to raise a family, too, so apparently dreams don't give happiness bonuses upon fulfillment. Oversight?)
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 09:39:19 am »

20 years. (I find it loads much faster than on long worlds.)
Fort is in an almost fresh world, only briefly explored by an adventurer.
No-one is too stressed yet, (6th Obsidian, 20) but the troll that died has caused some trauma.