Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get rid of babies?  (Read 3179 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
How do I get rid of babies?
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:37:00 pm »

I have too many babies. Over half of my 120-dorf fort is babies. Whenever a dorf dies, he is almost instantly replaced by babies. It is too late to change things in the init, but is there any way to just delete all of these babies? A DFHack script, perhaps?

(Setting the adult age to 1 will not help, a lot of skilless adult dorfs is only marginally better than a lot of babies and children)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get rid of babies?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:43 pm »

I have too many babies. Over half of my 120-dorf fort is babies. Whenever a dorf dies, he is almost instantly replaced by babies. It is too late to change things in the init, but is there any way to just delete all of these babies? A DFHack script, perhaps?

(Setting the adult age to 1 will not help, a lot of skilless adult dorfs is only marginally better than a lot of babies and children)
Magma.

Dealing with the resulting tantrum spiral is left as an exercise for the reader.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:00:14 pm »

Magma.

Dealing with the resulting tantrum spiral is left as an exercise for the reader.
How do I magma babies to death without magmaing the mothers?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »

Magma.

How do I magma babies to death without magmaing the mothers?
You want to do this safely?  Fine.

DFHack has a command called exterminate.  Select the creature you want to die and type exterminate him.  It is a "him" regardless of the creature's gender (if any).  It makes the creature actually die in game, rather than just vanish from everyone's memory.  So you'll still have to deal with a tantrum spiral.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:21:05 pm »

Now there's probably going to be thousands of engravings of children dying all over my fortress, but at least it's better than renditions of a well-designed image of a mink and laboring dwarves.
Thanks!

E:
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

E2:
My population is now one tenth of what it used to be, because in the middle of the miasma and some managable tantrums, a webbing FB that I thought was safe in the second cavern layer found its way up to the first, webbed my dorfs, exterminated my military and then the rest of my fort, except for the wereskink speardwarf (That I was keeping in a bridged-off room to throw onto silver spikes once that was finished) and a few wounded soldiers, and two other dorfs stuck in cages.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:14:14 pm by miauw62 »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:50:24 am »

Well you have dwarves left.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 03:55:42 am »

This is what DF is all about. Aggressive population control results in civil unrest, and that makes an opening for invading forces.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 04:32:03 am »

There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

Sigged.
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.