Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refuse to clear corpses  (Read 1453 times)

TheColourGreen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves refuse to clear corpses
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:09 pm »

There are a few hamster remains in my meeting hall, all my dwarves have the appropriate labours enabled and 90% of them have no jobs and are just sitting there doing absolutely nothing while the miasma slowly whittles away at their happiness. There are the appropriate stockpiles outside that already have a number of corpses, as it has been working earlier, but now they've randomly stopped hauling corpses. I'm at wits end here. I've tried everything and nothing works. They just sit there doing nothing.

Help?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refuse to clear corpses
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:26:22 pm »

"o" Are they ignoring other kill corpses? Are they ignoring outside refuse? Check, that may fix it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TheColourGreen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:35:43 pm »

They are ignoring all corpses and refuse. Literally every single one of them is sitting in a miasma/corpse filled meeting hall claiming they have no job despite having all the hauling labours enabled.

Harken

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force has arrived? Good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »

They are ignoring all corpses and refuse. Literally every single one of them is sitting in a miasma/corpse filled meeting hall claiming they have no job despite having all the hauling labours enabled.

Refuse pickup, particularly hamster remains and the like have an extremely low task priority (even with half your populace idling). Eventually they will get them but it takes a long long while. I run into the same problem at my fort, I haven't determined yet whether d-b-dumping is quicker.
Dwarf Fortress utilizes the most advanced graphics engine, your brain.

TheColourGreen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »

Refuse pickup, particularly hamster remains and the like have an extremely low task priority (even with half your populace idling). Eventually they will get them but it takes a long long while. I run into the same problem at my fort, I haven't determined yet whether d-b-dumping is quicker.

Damn. Thanks for the reply. Any idea if this is a newish problem? I don't recall having this much difficulty in my fort 6 or so months ago.

Harken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:53:23 pm »

Damn. Thanks for the reply. Any idea if this is a newish problem? I don't recall having this much difficulty in my fort 6 or so months ago.

Nah buddy it's been this way for years. You can hide the remains if you have OCD like me using [k]-[h].

Also check your standing orders [o,rders]-[r]-[v].
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:13:25 am by Harken »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:50:27 am »

I usually end up having few dwarves doing nothing but hauling food and refuse for this very reason. If they never get idle they dont get to do anything else.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:21 am »

Also of note:  Currently (40.13 & 40.14, fixed in pending 40.15) refuse hauling is messed up so it incorrectly interpret inside/outside.

You need to set 'o'rders to allow outside refuse hauling and vermin collection.  Otherwise dwarves will ignore all indoor remains.

Harken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:51:03 pm »

I usually end up having few dwarves doing nothing but hauling food and refuse for this very reason. If they never get idle they dont get to do anything else.

I've always been of the opinion that every few years, it's a good idea let your entire fort idle for a few months to clear up all those low level tasks that build up and clog the system.
It seems to help in the long run with my fps.