Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Conquest of Relicdunes  (Read 755 times)

Daunted

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Yellowbelly the Shame of Pens
    • View Profile
The Conquest of Relicdunes
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:13:52 pm »

It’s over. Relicdunes has fallen. Rushrulmistem is no more.

They came with no warning or apprehension. The people of Palacewalls awoke to find an army outside their gates, and at its head he walked like a dark dream, like a nightmare. Solon, the Demon King of Severity. In one day Palacewalls was reduced to a ruin and its founders, good King Logem and General Zam, were killed. We locked ourselves in our fortresses and prepared for war. For a few seasons, all was silent. But they came like a flood with the melting of ice and began to devastate the countryside. One after another settlements fell—Oillucid, Hatchetmark, Inkrasped. By mid-spring, the only bastion left was Relicdunes, the first dwarven settlement on the face of Atilecamade. We thought within its walls we could hold out long enough to muster our strength and take the field. We thought in this, the holiest of cities, we could earn glory in the eyes of the gods. We were wrong.

Solon didn’t bother attacking himself. He didn’t need to. His general Umas won entrance to the city in a matter of days and set about slaughtering every dwarf he could lay hands on. He was creative in his choice of punishments, more so than most goblins. The lesser nobles he simply beheaded, having no time for more involved tortures. The majority he had buried alive. When the Hammerer tried to intervene, he cut him to pieces and buried him with his friends. The king was forced to watch as Champion Locklantern was burned to death the throne room. And then King Ustuth himself was thrown to the beasts. The invaders laughed as they watched. Umas smiled. And as I watched I swore on Zatam’s crossbow that I would avenge him.

They call Umas the Auburn Dune now, for the blood he spilled in that city. Weeks have passed since the invasion, and Umas has claimed Ustuth’s throne for himself, calling himself the overlord of Relicdunes. A few members of Ustuth’s entourage, including his heir, fled east into the Godless Hills when Umas struck, but there has been no word from them. Whether they survived or were devoured by the undead none can say. Already some of the dwarves here have resigned themselves to slavery, but I am not such a one. If Led still lives, I will find him and join his cause.

My name is Goden Bronzerhythm. I have pledged my axe to Zatam, and with her divine guidance I will make blood rain down on Umas and his demon king. I will earn my place in Edem’s Hall. And I will reclaim Relicdunes for dwarfkind forever.

So basically this is just a story thread about the adventures of Goden Bronzerhythm, Axedwarf and Usurper. It started with an ill-fated fortress in which I tried to see how long a bunch of unarmed dwarves with absolutely nothing at embark could survive in a Terrifying savannah (spoiler: not long). It ended in disaster when one of my dwarves suddenly became king and started mandating things. While the others tried to fulfill his demands, he got caught in a cloud that possessed him and made him kill everyone. Naturally, I decided to poke around in Legends Mode, and found an incredible story that I couldn't help but continue. My goals for the game are as follows:

• Journey into the Godless Hills and disover the fate of Heir Apparent Led Spattersacks
  • Take vengeance on Overlord Umas and reclaim Relicdunes for dwarfkind
  • Reclaim the other captured cities of The Purple Portal
  • [BONUS] Seize all the settlements of The Demon of Severity
  • [SUPERBONUS] Banish or enslave Demon King Solon
  • [SUPERMEGABONUS] Hell and Back Again

After that (hell, if I last that long) I guess I'm up for suggestions. I'm not the greatest player in the world so you'll have to forgive me for my dumb stumblings. Still, I'm eager to begin!
(First bit coming up tomorrow because I'm a boring student who goes to bed early)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:27:44 pm by Daunted »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Conquest of Relicdunes
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 06:12:05 pm »

(First bit coming up tomorrow because I'm a boring student who goes to bed early)

Good for you.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Conquest of Relicdunes
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:09:22 am »

crickets...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii