Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expedition Leader Usurps the Throne  (Read 1865 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Expedition Leader Usurps the Throne
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:25 am »

So, I was trying out a new fortress in the update just before 40.14, and saw a strange announcement:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What?  What does that mean?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently, one of my founding seven has declared herself queen!  Anyone else seen something like this?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Cholek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Leader Usurps the Throne
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:56:29 am »

When queen/king of your civilization dies, dwarf closest to succession will be appointed as new queen/king. It's normal thing in newer versions.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:28 am »

Weird that a founder would be closest, since they're not yet pulled from historical figures.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Cholek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:18:54 am »

Probably your whole civilization is dead so queen was taken from only living dwarfs (your starting seven).

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:20:33 am »

You'd best get to engraving a room, soon.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:17 am »

Something similar just happened to me, except with barony instead of monarchy. Which is kinda weird, considering my fort already had a baron.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:05:44 am »

It's possible for migrants to inherit the titles to other sites, but since your fortress dwarves can't leave your site, they'll never leave. Instead, you just have to deal with them yourself.

Leelas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:20:36 am »

I had the same thing happen. The mayor of my fortress in its third year abruptly became king. Turned out that the reigning king got killed in a massive goblin invasion of our civilization, and my mayor took the throne. The civilization hasn't "fallen" - still have caravans, migrants, and so on, and according to the latest news from outside, we were making gains. My fort wasn't even a barony yet, and I still have the "progress towards capital" screen. Diplomats and liaisons continued to treat with the mayor, and now treat with the baron, instead of the king. I'm currently anticipating what will happen when I manage to satisfy the requirements for the king to migrate.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 07:47:40 pm »

Well currently it is very easy to create a world without any dwarven civilizations.
For example, create a pocket map with long history.
Eventually goblins will conquer every civilizations.
You can start an adventure game to do a quick check, see if you can play as anything but a human outsider.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:59:43 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:36:28 pm »

Yup, the whole "invader autowins" thing with active worlds mean sooner or later you end up noble heavy.

You can roll with it if it suits you, if you're on a version with dfhack you can do a mild lobotomy (gui/gm-editor -> status -> current soul -> preferences -> delete any item preferences so they don't get pissed with absurd unfulfilled demands that screw over your early fort, can always undo it later when you're actually able to discuss gold armor stands and artifact beds) and make use of massive engraved rooms to fulfill the royal requirements (if you expand a bed/dining/throne room more than 4 or 5 times and it touches unbroken edges of a room (so use staircase entrance/exits) it's pretty hard to not have it count as royal, way easier when you're dealing with the starting 7 and one of them suddenly needs 10 chests, 5 cabinets, 5 racks/stands, and a royal bed/throne/dining room plus mausoleum without access to legendary crafters and/or high value metals/stones yet.

I like to try to pick an embark site in the way of what look like more plausible invasion routes on the main dorf civs on the map, since I can at least count on my ability to not fall instantly to every invasion.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 11:08:26 pm »

Accommodating the new monarch isn't problematic (I already have two legendary engravers and enough gold, silver, and brass on hand to make enough royal-quality rooms without hassle), it's more of an anti-climatic end to a new fortress.  The civ probably is dead: two seasons have passed with no additional migrants, and so I've got a fortress hovering around 90 dwarves.

Is it just me or are dwarves slower to marry since the new personality stuff started coming in?  The usual flood of babies and doubled-up rooms that comes by now isn't materializing.  Still lots of single dwarves and no children (not that I'm complaining; it's nice not to have 30+ kids to deal with for once).
On the Nature of Dwarves