Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 FPS in Dark Pit/Fortress  (Read 4609 times)

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2 FPS in Dark Pit/Fortress
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:47:34 am »

I have young world (5 years old) and Is that normal that I had many FPS when I'm in hamlets, elven retreats etc. but In Dark Pit/Fortress FPS are equal 2 ? (sometimes I have 1 FPS)

How could I improve my FPS ?
(DF 04.13 version - starter pack r5)
Maybe that's because Dark Pits/Fortress have many items etc. so is there any way to remove part of them.
I'm running DF on Win7x64 with Intel Pentium T4400 (2.2 GHz) procesor and 4GB RAM
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:01:30 am by Tilogour »

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 FPS in Dark Pit/Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:06:05 pm »

You might want to check in legends mode how many creatures are living in those dark pits. If my guess is right, expect there to be thousands of them. That would be the reason for low fps in that case.

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »

about 1100 creatures. Is there any mod to reduce population in cities/pits to for example ~300 ?
I can't play if I have 2 frames per seconds.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 06:53:02 pm »

I was under the impression that the worldgen parameter for 'civ site population cap' controlled that, but I'm not sure if it effects necromancers or goblins.. I've tried setting it to 80, which is how many fort-dwarves start lagging my laptop, but still get massive lag in forts and hillocks in adventure mode, so much that I rarely get to see the the actual site-dwellers because it involves walking through twisting and redundant forts looking for the one or two rooms they hang out in while suffering 1-2fps.. Also means I rarely get to leave the fort I start in as a dwarf due to lag, as well :( Someone mentioned a trick to leave a friendly dwarf-fort site without actually walking out, but I've forgotten it..

The first time I ever hit adv mode lag this evil was strangely a kobold site flooded with 600-700 cows, but that was a long time ago..

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 03:27:04 am »

It's trolls in the dark fortress I've been exploring. There are well over 1000 of them with most idling in the same area. There are these caves with pits in them, some have graves. Three adjacent caves have 300+ Trolls in each one. As long as I stay away from that area my frame rate is fine.

There's more trolls throughout the fortress proper with two or three in each room. And they're killing the goblins. I've found more dead goblins in there than live ones. I've seen several fights but I can't tell who started it. I can sure tell who's finished it.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:18:54 am »

()==[:::::::::::::>

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:22:58 am »

Yeah, you can lower your Population Cap After Civ Creation to 300 or lower. World is not overhelmed by goblins, and most of sites are playable, and helmets/towns have no soo big  But after all, game is always playable. But... Cavers looks empty now...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 12:04:24 pm »

For goblin sites, it seems those cap settings are ignored, i always ended with thousand of goblins and trolls populations in them whatever i was worldgen-ing after lowering the caps, even if i set the caps very very small.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 01:10:21 pm »

For goblin sites, it seems those cap settings are ignored, i always ended with thousand of goblins and trolls populations in them whatever i was worldgen-ing after lowering the caps, even if i set the caps very very small.

Removing NO_EAT and NO_DRINK from goblins helps reduce their numbers (I don't think they need the tags anymore actually), but the main cause of lag are those hundreds of trolls crammed into those chambers. Killing them doesn't help because they just respawn.

EvilJapYaY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:44:26 am »

DFHack helps, just "exterminate TROLL" but of course you need DFHack first...
Jaa

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:37:53 am »

But to go to that extreme, you can add
[FANCIFUL]
[DOES_NOT_EXIST]
to the Troll entry in creature_standard.txt before a worldgen

Would be better if that problem was fixed so goblins and trolls (and maybe other as i have not tested much with the other species but i can imagine they can give problems too) were respecting the cap settings you decide about in world parameters instead of just ignoring it completely and resulting in some unplayable sites, and wouldn't all respawn after you killed them all and decide to sleep
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:40:48 am by Robsoie »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:50:33 am »

? They don't respawn, I completely eradicated a whole dark fortress, it never was repopulated.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:01:58 am »

Odd, in every of my adventures if i exterminate a troll population, they respawn fully as soon as i sleep as shown in that bug report

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:18 am »

Oh, trolls. Yeah, those do. I use it for training. But I've never had goblins come back.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 10:33:43 am »

I had a case with goblins respawning , but not in the depth/buildings of a goblin site but on the surface of one, this one without needing to sleep :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8334#c30447
Pages: [1] 2