Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My faster FPS  (Read 3967 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My faster FPS
« on: October 30, 2014, 04:12:15 pm »

50 dwarves, and (Pocket world very short history) and I can run 1342 fps at a time!
The heck?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:13:53 pm by Romegypt »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My faster FPS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:42:37 pm »

50 dwarves, and (Pocket world very short history) and I can run 1342 fps at a time!
The heck?

Did you uncap the FPS? Worlds sometimes will run pretty fast when brand-new.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:56:07 pm »

Number of Dwarves doesn't have much affect on performance until they are trying to path to various places. If they are all chilling around early on after embark, you could probably have far more before it affected performance.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »

The fact, you have a power CPU.
lol
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:08:19 pm »

Give me your computer or else magma will find it's way to your room.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:24:33 pm »

Do some science, designate the removal of a layer with up-ramps, try to take down a mountain like this, see what you drop to.

I'm on an i3-3220, 8 GB ram, at 1920x1080 with multilevel 3 on and calc fps at 180/graphic fps at 25 normally, it drops to 23~25/15 while removing a 10~20x10~20 hunk of stone designated all at once with a 33x33 world in year 60 and population capped at 20.

Interestingly, this is using the internal graphics as my old gt-440 gave up the ghost, but even then it rarely gets hotter than 44 C.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:52:30 pm »

My computer runs Morwind, Minecraft, and Dark Souls 2 perfectly on their highest settings. Can barely handle Dwarf Fortress at 60 dwarves.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:54:02 pm »

CPU is great, and I capped it pretty high. It drops only 10 fps when they are not idling, I did check that. I play dayz/nether/ghost recon games on it so...

Also, My room is really cold right now, I'd love some magma :D

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:44 pm »

My CPU has 8 logical cores. Four physical cores (I'm jealous of your two), of which I've only ever seen DF use 50% (of one.) I can play anything I want any way I want...except dwarf fortress. That single-threaded, no graphics, pathfinding-intensive son of a gun. And it's like the only game I play :P

$1k gaming computer and I still only play with 50-60 dwarves..multi-threaded, Toady, plox! (I know, I know, it would take as long to do as 0.40, but...augh, would be so much better!)

While we're on the subject, anyone know a way to max out DF's usage of a physical core? OP, did you do anything to that effect? I've tried shoving everything else to other cores and setting DF to realtime, but no good. If it just did that, it would double my fps :/ (I'm using a laptop, if that's relevant.)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:47 pm »

Dwarf fortress can run on only a single thread and core. This means high end quad cores (i-7 4790k) are the best it can get (each core starts at 4 ghz, can turbo to 4.4ghz, which means dwarf fortress should be getting the benefit of a 4.4ghz single core in that instance). The direction the new intel extremes and AMD cores are going are more cores and more threads, so you might actually hurt dwarf fortress performance funnily enough if you bought say, a $1000 CPU in the i7 5960x

Modern games mostly aren't CPU limited like dwarf fortress is, a wildly inferior CPU can run a lot of games because the graphics card does most of the heavy lifting for modern gaming.

Anyone who wants some more performance out of their computer should try overclocking. I have a 4790k like i used in the example above at 4.8ghz rather than the stock 4.0 that i got pretty recently. Although you need to change the stock intel cooler, stock intel fan for the CPU cannot handle overclocking!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:15:48 pm by Number7 »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 11:31:21 pm »

I'm getting an i5 something unlocked for overclocking, I think it's the 4th gen. It has a higher clock speed per core than the i7 of the same gen, but what I'm wondering is just how to manage temperature. It's not like it has an inbuilt thermometer (or does it??).
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 11:36:16 pm »

Dwarf fortress can run on only a single thread and core. This means high end quad cores (i-7 4790k) are the best it can get (each core starts at 4 ghz, can turbo to 4.4ghz, which means dwarf fortress should be getting the benefit of a 4.4ghz single core in that instance). The direction the new intel extremes and AMD cores are going are more cores and more threads, so you might actually hurt dwarf fortress performance funnily enough if you bought say, a $1000 CPU in the i7 5960x

Clock speeds are completely and utterly irrelevant, especially when it comes to Dwarf Fortress, where a gigantic amount of the CPU's time is likely spent waiting for RAM to do stuff.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 11:49:07 pm »

The chips wouldn't really be able to do a lot of what they do without internal monitoring of temperature being a designed in feature, though as I recall it is actually keeping track of the effects OF changing temperature on voltage and such, which then can be presented with various programs or scripts as a temperature.

As putnam said, the game is very much ram choked, if I was going to build a system for DF I'd go for higher speed multi-channel ram with a good cooling system on something like an i5 k so I can get in a bit of overclocking, and a video card purchased with other requirements in mind as pretty much anything will be able to run DF graphics without breaking a sweat. I've noticed no real difference after switching from an admittedly old GT-440, which was still a dedicated card, to the HD 2500 or whichever it is in the ivy bridge i3 chips... except the whole system runs cooler without the video card pumping out heat.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 05:05:07 am »

The heck?
Unpause the game pls.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 07:09:07 am »

game was unpaused. This is my dads computer (I'm 17) and it's insanely good for gaming. It used to be a work computer at Raytheon, maybe that has something to do with it?
Pages: [1] 2