Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Depression  (Read 2062 times)

peculiarfortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Depression
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »

Okay, so normally I don't have a problem with depression, unless I get attacked and find a tantrum spiral on my hands. In this case they are coming to me extraordinarily stressed. I've got about five that have been under a lot of stress, both from being separated from a loved one. Interestingly enough, these people are not on their list of relationships, so I imagine that they might be dead. Anyway, one started tantrumming and disappeared, and the child has entered into depression. I've given the child ownership of two statues, a room with a cabinet, and a coffin (I hope that he sees humor in it like I do), but nothing has seemed to work. Suggestion?

peculiarfortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Depression
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:30:57 pm »

Two children now have depression.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:48:23 pm »

The emotions system is probably very buggy right now so it might be a bug or the dwarf in question hasn't seen the stuff or something like that.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

peculiarfortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:14 pm »

Yeah, it almost seems like the other fortresses are "dumping" their depressed citizens. Or at least that the depression is grandfathered in.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:54:13 pm »

It's the missing cousins depression. There is no cure. They are sad from being separated from their family...

peculiarfortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:22:46 pm »

So what should I do with them? I have them locked up in a room where is filled with cage traps (this is where enemies will walk into). Perhaps I could use them as bait. I was told that the dwarves will not have bad thoughts if other dwarves disappear, but what if they find them later? Basically, I'm wondering if I'll run into reprecussions if I either take the cages or bury the bodies.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »

Recruit them and use them to explore your caverns.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

peculiarfortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:50:46 pm »

Now that is an excellent idea. One interesting thing I found, most certainly a bug, is that dwarves which appear on top of the bridge when it is being raised will disappear. I think that this is actually atom smashing, but it has been a very good way to make them disappear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:44:43 am »

Raising them into a wall is atom smashing as well, it's just more risky because you can fling them sometimes if the wall isn't complete or it is a longer bridge I think? Dropping a bridge on stuff being the more reliable method because it's just gone then... except for those damn giant snails... BKOOSH!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:33:41 am »

Yeah, they'll basically become progressively more unhappy until they start to tantrum and eventually go insane. You can slow it down with nice things but the process does not appear to be reversible.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.