Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any reason why wood/bone bolts haven't been moved to the bowyer's workshop?  (Read 1215 times)

Jebediah`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like it would help quite a bit to balance out the discrepancy between the Craftsdwarf's and Bowyer's workshops in terms of usefulness and activity...it just seems illogical that A) the shop whose one job is making crossbows doesn't also make their bolts from the same materials, and B) the crafters' shops have to accommodate wood and bone bolts as well as everything else they cover while the bowyer's shop almost always goes unused in the corner.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Okay, get a guy who's really good at making bows making good arrows. He probably can't. They're completely separate skills, making a crossbow is basic mechanics. Nothing to do with making arrows, which requires a lot of uniformity and precision. Something a craftdwarf has a lot of. It makes a lot more sense.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Why not just get rid of the bowyer's workshop and skill? Considering metal crossbows are made at a metal forge (with the weaponsmithing skill instead of bowyer,) you might as well move wood and bone crossbows to the craftdwarf's workshop, using their respective crafting skills. Better yet, move wood and bone crossbows to the mechanic's workshop (with those lonely traction benches) and have all crossbows use the mechanic's skill.

Also, metal bolts should probably use the metal crafting skill instead of weaponsmithing. Attention to small detail and fletching seems more in a crafter's skill set.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:23:15 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, get a guy who's really good at making bows making good arrows. He probably can't. They're completely separate skills, making a crossbow is basic mechanics. Nothing to do with making arrows, which requires a lot of uniformity and precision. Something a craftdwarf has a lot of. It makes a lot more sense.

Ask a guy who makes little wooden toys for a living to make good arrows. He probably can't. Sensible thing would be to move bolts / arrows to the bowyer (as long as you don't have a distinct fletcher :)) and move the metal bolts / crossbows to bowyer skill even if they are done at the forge. (Metal animal traps use trapping skill as well although being made at a forge.)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crafts are fine jobs. Like carving, cutting small, encrusting (when jewellery isn't involved). So is smithing.

Crossbow is completely different. So I can see logic in this, it's just different tools.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile

Well a workaround is, add a manufacture menu that show all requirements of said product.
For example, you choose ammo (maybe add some filters like materials), then workshops, then a list of workshops which can manufacture ammo is shown.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can do this yourself with a simple copy paste job in the raws.   ;D
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jebediah`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can do this yourself with a simple copy paste job in the raws.   ;D

...how completely true, shame I haven't gotten to the point where I think like that yet.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If anything it should be done in the carpentry.

I always thought that stone and woodcrafting in the craftsdwarf workshop was a little redundant. Should be there a real difference between the mason skill and the stonecrafting skill? A lot of it seems interchangeable.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

A carver and a mason are incredibly different things. I carve wood masks and statues in real life, and do carpentry. They're not even similar past the wood bit.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any reason why wood/bone bolts haven't been moved to the bowyer's workshop?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 01:29:26 am »

Yeah, if by masonry you mean making walls and buildings. But in the mason's workshop dwarves make what it seems to me like carved out stone furniture. Would it be that crazy to make a stone coffer in the craftdwarves workshop, or a rock pot in the mason's?

I guess that having such a general workshop that handles all crafting is what appears to be a little lacking.