Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: R855 Bugs  (Read 2771 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
R855 Bugs
« on: October 31, 2014, 07:40:53 am »

General-purpose bug reporting thread, since there isn't one for the release.

Bug: Playing on the 'vanilla' settings (regular CCS, no Nightmare, no Stalinists, normal difficulty), I've gotten the torture law to be red-highlighted yellow, "Respected international leader on Moral Interrogation Practices", and it's off the charts on the dot slider. And every time Congress is voting on a law, Conservatizing the law is brought up and it's ALWAYS 100% consensus, and it never does a thing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: R855 Bugs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »

Honestly, that sounds more like a broken pointer than a bug in the code.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 11:03:50 am »

Honestly, that sounds more like a broken pointer than a bug in the code.

Actually, no. After like fifty votes to make it harsher, it gradually came back from off-the-scale, through left of the scale and visible, but off it, to regular L+. Apparently it overflowed or something.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:32:01 pm »

Yeah, it's a bug: the law is not supposed to be outside of the range from +2 (L+) to -2 (C+).

What I'm guessing is that somewhere in the code there is something that treats the law like a view (views range from 0-100).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:16:25 am »

Yeah, it's a bug: the law is not supposed to be outside of the range from +2 (L+) to -2 (C+).

What I'm guessing is that somewhere in the code there is something that treats the law like a view (views range from 0-100).

This is the kind of thing that good object oriented programming can avoid. By using strong typing, all checking is centralized: "law" type and "view" type would be handled separately.

El Practico

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I don't need any of your stinking emotions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 12:28:06 am »

When One of my martyrs got picked up it would say something along the lines of "Peter Cooper carrying" and then nothing and then it would crash.
Conservatives, They want guns and stuff.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 07:34:56 am »

I've noticed weirdness with trials, like 1 escaping prison charge and 54 credit card fraud charges getting me a guilty verdict even with the super ace attourney and a sleeper judge.

Even weirder, if you get a life sentance and get a not guilty verdict after escaping, it'll say NOT GUILTY!
Esther Krishna will be returned to prison to resume an earlier sentence.

Which kind of makes sense, but instead of being carted back off to jail, I was let off....with another "Escaped prison" charge added.

The criminal system is a bit iffy now. It's more "Realistic" in that you are much more likely to get a guilty verdict, but I miss the zaneiness of the older versions where you can get an entire page of charges racked up, yet let off the hook completely.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:42:11 pm »

Okay, that's not a bug. The game remembers what your sentence was before you escaped from prison, so if you wind up in custody again, you will be returned to your sentence.

The only exception is if you've been sentenced to death, in which case your execution will be rescheduled for three months following your trial date, thus renewing the time needed to escape or be rescued.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 04:01:27 pm »

Does the "Remembered Sentance" count against you during the trial?

And the issue was I was declared "Not Guilty" yet I was then "Let go" only to have a SECOND charge of escaping prison added to my criminal record.

Edit: I savescummed with a liberal with 12 vandalism charges, and no matter how many times I try to get a not guilty verdict, I'm nearly always convicted with the public defender, what gives?

Can a dev clarify if the justice system was actually changed or if I'm just incredibly unlucky? I remember being able to get off tons of murders, but not anymore, even with a sleeper judge and liberal jury.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:28:31 pm by Toybasher »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 12:38:04 am »

Does the "Remembered Sentance" count against you during the trial?

I don't think so, but I didn't write that part of the code.

And the issue was I was declared "Not Guilty" yet I was then "Let go" only to have a SECOND charge of escaping prison added to my criminal record.

That does sound like a bug, and I'm not sure how it could have happened. Are you sure you noted exactly when the second charge was added?

Edit: I savescummed with a liberal with 12 vandalism charges, and no matter how many times I try to get a not guilty verdict, I'm nearly always convicted with the public defender, what gives?

The public defender will get you convicted of prettymuch anything, prettymuch guaranteed, even if it's loitering.

Can a dev clarify if the justice system was actually changed or if I'm just incredibly unlucky? I remember being able to get off tons of murders, but not anymore, even with a sleeper judge and liberal jury.

The decision of whether you are convicted or acquitted consists of a prosecution score and a defense score. If the defense score exceeds the prosecution score, you will be acquitted. If the prosecution score is higher, you will be convicted. If there is a tie, the jury is hung and you may or may not get another trial.

The prosecution score depends on:
  • The political leaning of the jury
  • The number and severity of the crimes for which you stand accused
  • Whether or not the prosecution is an arch-conservative nemesis of your elite liberal lawyer

The defense score depends on:
  • Your lawyer's (or your, if self-defending) Law and Persuasion skill rolls
  • Whether or not you have a sleeper judge

It is not difficult to get your rap sheet to be so long and so damning that there is nothing that you can do but accept the inevitable conviction. A small number of serious crimes and you might still get away with a dynamite lawyer and a sleeper judge, but only with a few.

I don't know when the justice system was last tweaked. It's been the way that it is for as long as I've been here.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 03:09:52 am »

i don't wanna go "lolbugs" but with martial arts 13 and stealth 16 i'm able to oneshot people, remain stealthed, but still receive a murder charge

how's that even work, it fucks with my karate ninja run

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 11:14:11 am »

Maybe being able to kill people without penalty was a little overpowered.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:17:21 am »

i'd acknowledge that if i got the charge when i partook in gratuitous murder using a knife

thing is i don't

knives op

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 11:33:01 am »

Is there a knockout mechanic I'm unaware of, or that doesn't exist but should?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »

There is not currently a knockout mechanic, although you could conceivably beat up a person sufficiently badly that they are no longer dangerous and thus kidnappable.

Honestly, this is realistic: inflicting sufficient damage on a person to render xer unconscious is likely to cause permanent harm, and inflicting said harm without risk of killing xer requires some finesse. Even anesthesia occasionally kills people.
Pages: [1] 2