Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NOT Cooking with Milk, Booze or Fat/Tallow...  (Read 3388 times)

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
NOT Cooking with Milk, Booze or Fat/Tallow...
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:02:39 pm »

As the title says, I'm looking for an easy way to get it so my Dwarves won't good with those items. I want Milk to become Cheese, Booze to be drunk and there shall be soap... eventually. :-[

At the moment, I'm basically haunting the Kitchen options under "Z" and manually turning off each individual type of milk/booze/fat/tallow as it pops up.

Is there a way to change something in the Init to make this happen by default? (I don't like to use DFHack...)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: NOT Cooking with Milk, Booze or Fat/Tallow...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »

I would rather tallow be turned off by default, and booze.

Not milk though.  Its going, one way or another.

---

Speaking of food, is it possible to make higher grade food than roast (4).

And can I add alternative style (2)(3)(4) level food?  Like soup, loaf, ration, dish, (etc)?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:06:19 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:06:08 pm »

We should NOT be putting piles of fat in great meals.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:06:14 pm »

[COOKABLE] or something like that is a tag in the raws. You can just remove it from any materials you don't want to be cookable.

Fat, tallow, and milk are all defined in one place. Booze you'd have to go remove the tag from a bunch of different things in the plant raws, I believe.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »

Don't they appear in the kitchen screen (press z then select kitchen)? You can turn off individual items for cooking/brewing.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:18:49 pm »

Don't they appear in the kitchen screen (press z then select kitchen)? You can turn off individual items for cooking/brewing.
Yes... As mentioned in my first post, I am looking for a way to turn them off without manually having to turn off each in turn. If you haven't noticed there's a different type of fat for each creature and that doesn't even count the different booze...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:27 pm »

It takes forever to turn off everything. The kitchen menu should be handle exactly like the stocks menu.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:01 pm »

My mistake. Not sure how I missed what you said.

You could use stockpiles set to feed the specific workshops. You feed the kitchen from a stockpile that contains only things you want cooked and fat (for tallow). They shouldn't then cook anything not in that stockpile like tallow, booze, or milk.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:13:16 pm »

I am looking for a way to turn them off without manually having to turn off each in turn.
Turn it off in the raws... as I mentioned above.

Go to raw/objects/material_template_default.txt, and find:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Delete the red highlighted line.

And so on for milk, etc. They will then not be valid cooking targets to begin with, and your dwarves will not cook with any of them from any animals by default for future forts. (and maybe your current fort, not sure)

The booze would require going through every plant entry that has booze and doing this, though, unfortunately. But IIRC there is a high level option for no booze cooking, isn't there? (I.e. don't have to turn off each one?)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:15:03 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:07:34 pm »

Don't even gotta delete the line, just remove the brackets and it won't be read, makes it easier to see later on when you want to change something back.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 11:37:21 pm »

But IIRC there is a high level option for no booze cooking, isn't there? (I.e. don't have to turn off each one?)

nope

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 11:42:20 pm »

Going along with the stockpile feeding thing or turning it off in the kitchen screen, it'd take forever unless you compressed the list. So, I humbly present to you a mod I made some time ago to standardize animal parts. Depblade's Standardized Creature Parts It may not be entirely the solution to what you're after, but it's an option.

EDIT: changed the link to go to a page in the forums I just made.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:27:25 am by Deepblade »
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »

My mistake. Not sure how I missed what you said.

You could use stockpiles set to feed the specific workshops. You feed the kitchen from a stockpile that contains only things you want cooked and fat (for tallow). They shouldn't then cook anything not in that stockpile like tallow, booze, or milk.

This. I was always a quantum stockpiler so that I could always choose what materials were available to any job, like only the trash stones for crafts, all olivine when I make doors, etc. Now I just set the feeder stockpiles for every workshop I build. I have seen 99% effectiveness this way, and the 1% was probably my fault. So if you designate a food stockpile, forbid everything in stockpile detail screen that you don't want cooked, and point the pile to your kitchens, it should control everything that way. I haven't tried it for cooking, but it works for stone/wood/etc.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 12:45:10 am »

Well, the simplest answer would be just to make fewer varieties of milk, tallow, and booze. You could do this by limiting your livestock and growing only a few plant varieties, however, I would recommend you simply pick a few varieties that you have more of and let the rest be cooked if going to the kitchen hub and turning it off is too much work.

You may want to get onto building an ashery and soapmakers workshop so you don't keep having tallow pile up, it's not too complicated compared to things like steelmaking, and in my experience dwarves don't actually use up soap very fast so you shouldn't need huge stockpiles of tallow for it (butcher two or three domestic animals and you should be good on soap for a few years)...