Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human diplomat is a vampire  (Read 2432 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Human diplomat is a vampire
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:27:35 am »

This Gulgud Snuggledcounsel is a law-giver vampire.
Guess the fact doesn't affect anything, does it?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Human diplomat is a vampire
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

He'll seek blood.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:38:52 am »

He'll seek blood.

Not in dwarf mode. Visitors to your site never get hungry or thirsty, and that includes the vampire's version of "thirsty".

The only functional difference is that other night creatures will ignore him and he'll be a lot better in a fight, should the situation arise.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:59:23 am »

He'll seek blood.

Not in dwarf mode. Visitors to your site never get hungry or thirsty, and that includes the vampire's version of "thirsty".

The only functional difference is that other night creatures will ignore him and he'll be a lot better in a fight, should the situation arise.
In fact, in my experience, bloody suckers are coming to feed to other fortress... Before meeting my mayor was going to go to his bed, then i got message about him being missing... Poor guy was not found as long, as i doesnt sended my quards to his bedroom on top of "Great Tower"...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:03:29 am »

He'll seek blood.

I don't think that's right in the case of vampires. In 34.11 I had a human diplomat vampire that ate two of my dwarves over the course of a year. He only had one foot, and couldn't make it to the mayor's office fast enough to conduct a meeting before the mayor got hungry or thirsty and stopped trying to meet. The only path between the office and the dining hall went right through a long residential hallway. The result was a vampire crawling slowly back and forth outside my dwarves' bedrooms for a year and stopping for an occassional snack. Diplomats are the only (known) instances of nonresident vampires visiting a player fort, and it's rare that they stay for an extended period, so it's easy to see how one could assume that their version of satiation works the same as hunger and thirst for visitors. My experience suggests that vampires' satiation uses a different mechanic, though.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:20:00 am »

I've had numerous visits from vampire diplomats without incident in .40, so if I'm wrong then they're likely only dangerous in extreme cases like m-logik describes. Maybe I'll start giving them the magma bath just to be safe.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:22:53 am »

A few of the people above have no clue. The vampire liaison is a major threat, he will feed multiple times so keep an eye on him.
Here is a picture of the liason draining a farmer, i locked him in the room.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 02:54:07 pm »

Borge is telling the truth, he is likely to kill someone and you cant kill him by squad since that might mean a loyalty cascade.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 05:39:48 pm »

Borge is telling the truth, he is likely to kill someone and you cant kill him by squad since that might mean a loyalty cascade.

It should be fine if he's not of your civ, though the humans won't appreciate it.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:21:48 pm »

It should be fine if he's not of your civ, though the humans won't appreciate it.

Yeah, in the aforementioned situation I never could get the meeting to happen, so I sicced a squad on the diplomat. No tantrum, as he was an outsider, but the humans sent sieges for a couple of years. Now, had it been the mountainhome liaison...
Well, just let him eat.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 06:22:50 pm »

I had it happen a few times, here is my first: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143891.msg5672684#msg5672684

It seemed that so long as his guards stayed with him, the mayor was safe. The moment he was alone though... I had two dwarfs get found "mysteriously drained of blood" while a recent human vampire lawgiver diplomat was around, and there were none after the mayor FINALLY got around to seeing him. I'm pretty damn sure they drink from dwarfs.

I've never had a female vampire materialise. I don't know if that's significant. Could be coincidence.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »

Well he came and left, no harm was done (I think so, at least).

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!