Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For now, sieges should always fail instead of always succeeding.  (Read 2278 times)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know that calculating the sieges in worldgen would be hard to implement but all I'm asking for is that they should always fail instead of succeeding. It's not a good solution, but it's better than what we have now. A lot of people are complaining about this, and this suggestion would fix the problem until a better solution is implemented.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: For now, sieges should always fail instead of always succeeding.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:13:02 am »

I dont see goblins going on rampages.  In fact, they are often statistically the weakest ones.  I do see a percentage of civs dying out in my medium sized worlds, however, as they get ripped into.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »

It'd be better to have a random element involved. I quite like generating a world with an extinct dwarven civ that's at war with another civ and reviving it.

Perhaps there could just be a placeholder system where each civ gets a strength value from, say 1 to 10, which determines how likely it is to win an invasion.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:27:12 pm »

It'd be better to have a random element involved. I quite like generating a world with an extinct dwarven civ that's at war with another civ and reviving it.

Perhaps there could just be a placeholder system where each civ gets a strength value from, say 1 to 10, which determines how likely it is to win an invasion.
Toady already mentioned that even a coin flip would be difficult to implement, since once an invading force arrives it spreads out into squads and goes all over the site.  I understand a fight and a retreat would be damned hard to code, but I'd think it'd be possible to KILL all of the invaders if they lose a coin toss.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »

I with OP on this. Hell, I'd even be happy if the current invasion system was removed entirely in place of a much simpler one, like Ives suggested. The current system just isn't ready yet, and it breaks a lot of cool features.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:53 pm »

Give each creature a 1-5 value. Kobolds-1. Elves-2. Goblins-3. Humans-4. Dwarves-5. 53 dwarves versus 65 goblins. 265 vs 195. Goblins lose. With mounts added in, we could assign them numbers as well. Horses-1. Trolls-2. Unicorns-3. Ogres-4. Cave dragons-5. Except more accurate. The system could be a calculator, counting in random trances doubling a dwarf to 10. Obviously this would cause balance issues, but it would make it less unbalanced than now. 14 goblins beat a 216 dwarf fort with no casualties.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:50:09 pm »

1. gamey
2. modding?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 01:32:04 am »

Not sure if the sleeping army (or rather, army with no activity besides sit around) problem is related to the one the OP talks about.

As far as an invading army, I've never actually SEEN an army actively invade a place. Actually, I may have witnessed it once, but I thought it was a civil war or something. Every time I get a report of an army on the march, they've either already come and gone long ago or are stuck sleeping somewhere.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:37:03 am »

I saw an invasion once. It was literally this- one goblin steps across the town's farthest bridge, everyone just ran from their houses.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 01:50:48 am »

I saw an invasion once. It was literally this- one goblin steps across the town's farthest bridge, everyone just ran from their houses.

That would explain why I never see any losses of life in battles post worldgen, though people can still get mutilated, buried alive, or chopped to pieces, but that doesn't count as battle deaths.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 06:51:06 am »

The one invasion I saw was a  few squads of goblins  running around a forest retreat.  they were poorly armored so the giant jaguars tore into them, but they ended up winning in most cases.  they even attacked me if threat assessment was a go.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:48:52 pm »

I always play a world for months, observing the effect of my previous fortresses and adventurers have caused. I also get familiarized with the world's history and stuff. This "invasions always succeed" thing is problematic. It probably won't get fixed until the next major release, so we need a less-problematic placeholder. Invasions always failing seems good enough.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:28 pm »

I just thought of one massive problem: if they always failed, after 100 years at most, there would be no megabeasts.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 09:16:17 pm »

Yeah, I'm not really playing anymore because of this. Not much point in a persistent world that won't survive the first fortress.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 09:33:05 pm »

I still find worlds full of humans, elves, and dwarves. I find adding in a few more mountains makes it more likely that goblins won't reach everyone.
Pages: [1] 2