Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443528 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1080 on: March 29, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »

Today I learned:

You can deconstruct coffins and nothing bad happens.

Note to self: Once Blacksmith becomes Legendary, create Masterwork coffins, and replace the ones already in use.

Also, you can move the first guy to die from the temporary dining room when yo're ready. And into a proper tomb.
But is the corpse still inside the coffin?  I ask b/c I'm wondering if you could move a coffin outside without building it, and somehow encourage a kobold or gobbo thief to steal it.
Nah, the body gets dumped on the ground.

Which is useful, because you can take a dwarf buried hurriedly in a wooden coffin and then later on give them the Platinum Tomb they deserve.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 01, 2017, 03:57:37 am »

I had observed that minecarts with a "ride" command sometimes end up heavier after a ride, as though the rider was still inside. But curiously, this doesn't always happen. So i fiddled with it in .43.05 and it appears that
whether or not a cart retains its rider's weight after a ride depends on whether or not the cart's weight was observed during the ride.

I knew minecarts are at least partially quantum-mechanical entities, but i hadn't expected them to go all Heisenberg on me.

If i let the rider just do their thing, the cart would revert to its normal empty weight once the rider dismounted (24 kg). But if i viewed the cart during the ride via "k" (view tile) or if a weight measurement was taken by a cart-sensing pressure plate, the cart would display the altered weight (103-153 kg, depending on bulk of the rider) after the dwarf had dismounted, and would also trigger pressure plates responding to 100+ weight.

It looks like you can generate carts of unusual "empty" weights this way, which may prove useful in dwarven computing and in achieving transterminal speeds. These weights appear fairly persistent (survive carrying, guiding and pushing the cart) but are reliably re-set by saving/restoring the game, or of course by an "unobserved" ride.

And before you ask - i haven't found a way to add the weight of cargo to an empty cart, the bug seems to only work for riders.

Demo save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12802
In the track rectangle, carts are alternately ridden over a pressure plate or over plain track before being pushed over a 100+ pressure plate. If you don't "view" the cart during the non-plate ride, the cart will re-set to standard empty weight (24kg) once the rider dismounts and doesn't trigger the southern plate. After the ride over the plate, the (dwarfless) cart will still weigh over 100kg and triggers the northern plate when pushed over it.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 02, 2017, 02:47:38 am »

Ok, so dwarven sexual preferences aren't exactly new stuff, but this is the first time I've witnessed an immigrant same-sex married couple. Both female, both listed as "Wife" to each other.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 02, 2017, 02:56:09 am »

I had observed that minecarts with a "ride" command sometimes end up heavier after a ride, as though the rider was still inside. But curiously, this doesn't always happen. So i fiddled with it in .43.05 and it appears that
whether or not a cart retains its rider's weight after a ride depends on whether or not the cart's weight was observed during the ride.

This is cool. What happens when you put new riders on the "ghost-ridden" carts and repeat the process?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 02, 2017, 06:58:39 am »

This is cool. What happens when you put new riders on the "ghost-ridden" carts and repeat the process?

Nothing of interest, alas. Any further events that affect the cart's weight are calculated correctly. It looks like the game basically just calculates cart weight once when it's supposed to change and then keeps that value in memory without re-checking it until another weight-changing event comes up. It's just the "rider dismounts from cart" event that can fail to trigger the readjustment, and only if the weight-with-rider has been checked while underway.

The game doesn't pretend the dwarf's still in the cart: collisions of the "ghost-ridden" cart don't "shotgun" the erstwhile rider or anything like that. In elastic collisions the fake extra weight is taken into account. Empty vs. "ghosted" iron cart, 314 vs. 426 kg according to display, both propelled by highest-speed rollers result in a ~65k cart that can ignore corner track.

It's still an option to bridge the weight gaps between bloodthorn (50), aluminium (108) and zinc (~285) when trying to make carts supersonic via chained elastic collisions - in such a collision, the heavier ("pushing") cart may only be twice as heavy as the pushed cart, no more, and the shotgun effect makes chaining via cargo-carrying carts impossible.

You could also make a bit of memory by letting a dwarf ride a cart over a track with a pressure plate to "set" or over a track without one to "clear". The information would be stored in the weight of the empty cart.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 02, 2017, 12:10:49 pm »

Elephants happily move around in tree branches. 
They are swinging around with their trunks :D
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 02, 2017, 12:50:02 pm »

I can hear the screams of the folks from Boatmurdered now if they ever saw such a thing.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 02, 2017, 05:37:19 pm »

Should still be screaming at elephants too
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 02, 2017, 06:54:40 pm »

After browsing the DeviantArt and other tubes I have not managed to find any usable depiction of this situation.
That meant I had to do it myself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 03, 2017, 07:06:59 am »

After browsing the DeviantArt and other tubes I have not managed to find any usable depiction of this situation.
That meant I had to do it myself:
immediately had this in mind:
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 03, 2017, 12:35:41 pm »

I can hear the dwarves from Boatmurdered screaming from across time.

armok of blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 10, 2017, 10:51:37 pm »

In case you haven't figured it out yet, digging under a cut tree or cutting a tree above a mined-out area will result in an open space where the tree was. If you don't build floors over these holes, they may compromise your defenses (e.g. a werebeast jumping into your stockpiles like in Joel's Vinefort streams).

An easy workaround is to dig out your fort at least 2 z-levels below the surface instead of 1, so as to not even have to bother with roots.
Also, roots do not count as walls for doors.
It's not like an idea has to make sense for people to cling to it.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 10, 2017, 11:10:14 pm »

In case you haven't figured it out yet, digging under a cut tree or cutting a tree above a mined-out area will result in an open space where the tree was. If you don't build floors over these holes, they may compromise your defenses (e.g. a werebeast jumping into your stockpiles like in Joel's Vinefort streams).

An easy workaround is to dig out your fort at least 2 z-levels below the surface instead of 1, so as to not even have to bother with roots.
Also, roots do not count as walls for doors.

My last fort had a 5-year-old dwarf who wished I'd known this before the Roc came in and tore off her foot.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 11, 2017, 01:40:01 am »

Hey, where's that Axedwarf? She was here just moment ago. Why do those craftsdwarves lament their lost masterworks?

So it turns out soldiers can teleport through walls while sparring. I'd better move the barracks so it won't have a magma pipe right behind the wall.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 11, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »

Oh, and quite specific: When a Dwarven diplomat from an Elven civilization gets his scandalous Elven cultural garb (socks with sandals, loincloth, cape and headscarf) forcibly stripped off him and magmaed, he will appear next year in Dwarven gear (shoes, cloak, cap and hood). They can learn!

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 148