Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443131 times)

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1095 on: April 12, 2017, 12:13:14 pm »

Hey, where's that Axedwarf? She was here just moment ago. Why do those craftsdwarves lament their lost masterworks?

So it turns out soldiers can teleport through walls while sparring. I'd better move the barracks so it won't have a magma pipe right behind the wall.

The good news is it only seems to be through 1-thick walls.  I had a fort where the barracks was 1-wall thickness away from the volcano.  My artifact wearing Militia Commander teleported through (I believe it happens on a dodge), and it was very sad.  The good news is I found the magma sea fairly quickly after that.  This is why now my barracks have at least a 2-thickness wall.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 12, 2017, 01:29:56 pm »

The good news is it only seems to be through 1-thick walls.  I had a fort where the barracks was 1-wall thickness away from the volcano.  My artifact wearing Militia Commander teleported through (I believe it happens on a dodge), and it was very sad.  The good news is I found the magma sea fairly quickly after that.  This is why now my barracks have at least a 2-thickness wall.

I think I now remember seeing it before; that time I just wondered how a militia member had managed to get into a locked room.
In earlier versions a high skill Dodge could flick a dwarf up to three squares away; if the same still applies two square walls might not be enough.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #1097 on: April 12, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »

Hey, where's that Axedwarf? She was here just moment ago. Why do those craftsdwarves lament their lost masterworks?

So it turns out soldiers can teleport through walls while sparring. I'd better move the barracks so it won't have a magma pipe right behind the wall.

I found this out the hard way as well. I think I lost a half-dozen to drowning before finding out what was happening. Now I'm the same way, 2 tile thick walls except to the weapon/ammo/armor stockpiles I keep attached to my barracks.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 12, 2017, 09:06:33 pm »

I found this out the hard way as well. I think I lost a half-dozen to drowning before finding out what was happening. Now I'm the same way, 2 tile thick walls except to the weapon/ammo/armor stockpiles I keep attached to my barracks.
It is caused by charge attacks, apparently. It is one of the more reported issues: see all those duplicate posts.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 12, 2017, 09:21:44 pm »

TIL that, contrary to the wiki, dwarves can indeed remarry if their spouse is abducted and transformed by a night troll:

Was Ilral still alive when the second marriage happened?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 12, 2017, 11:22:08 pm »

I assume it happened in world gen and not a fort?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:38 am »

Finally figured out why my dwarves were constantly going berserk and killing all the animals and each other.

Mossrova meat. It's giving them acid trips or something.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 13, 2017, 06:40:47 pm »

Mossrovas are Masterwork.

Are we counting modded content in our 'findings'? OP didn't specify, and the thread has trended towards vanilla DF and modding capabilities.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:51:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 13, 2017, 08:49:31 pm »

Try to stay vanilla.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 15, 2017, 01:37:40 pm »

If you don't have crutches available for a patient who needs one, it looks like you don't get just cancellation spam. You also get a diagnostician training school, as they seem to check up on the patient everyday to confirm that they, indeed, need a crutch.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 15, 2017, 02:18:57 pm »

Apparently, ants can start colonies on ice.

Wouldn't surprise me if the game crashed when the ice thaws.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 15, 2017, 10:53:58 pm »

Apparently, ants can start colonies on ice.

Wouldn't surprise me if the game crashed when the ice thaws.
No, but the colonies turn red and float in midair.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 16, 2017, 07:24:38 am »

Do you know if this happened to a honeybee colony, would it still be usable provided it's on the edge of the river? This happens to be the case with my ant colony.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 16, 2017, 07:18:08 pm »

Do you know if this happened to a honeybee colony, would it still be usable provided it's on the edge of the river? This happens to be the case with my ant colony.
No. Beekeepers have to be on the same tile as the colony in order to harvest it.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 18, 2017, 07:32:49 am »

I made a dwarven shower (controlled waterfall spilling over grates) at the entrance to my fort, in an effort to keep everybody clean.  It seems to work well, for the most part.  It's also great for free trade goods.  Wagons path through, drops all their stuff, and then leave.  Mass claim, and tada, free goods!  I'm guessing it's wagons, as it's only happened with human/dwarves, but not with the elves.

It does seem odd though that it can disrupt traders like that, while citizens can haul stuff through it with impunity.   Unless they're carrying an infant, that is.  Apparently babies are slippery when wet.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 148