Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443123 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1185 on: December 28, 2017, 02:44:59 am »

Huh, that's fascinating. My Uncle grew potatoes; didn't even know there was seed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:37 am »

Apparently SOMEONE in my masonry industry really carried a grudge about a kobold thief earlier in my fort.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 29, 2017, 02:08:43 am »

Ooh. Monster slayers come with reputation. "She is a noted treasure hunter for the Cloudy Band. She is a noted preserver of the knowledge of the Cloudy Band".

21 years old, married with 3 kids, laughs in the face of death.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 29, 2017, 11:47:16 am »

A visiting bard came by my fortress.

Now, every so often, the tavern looks like this:

A line of anywhere between 5 and 7 citizens, playing musical instruments, reciting poetry, or chanting.

Pretty neat.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 29, 2017, 04:44:30 pm »

I don't think I took any pictures, but in my last fort of 44.02 (where there were waaaaay too many visitors), the large numbers + a large dance floor ended up with some truly impressive displays of singing and dancing, like in large circles circling around.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 30, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »

A werebeast fell from a great height into some water.

The splash made some mist. I don't remember seeing that happen before. Was pretty neat.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 30, 2017, 03:57:27 pm »

I don't think I took any pictures, but in my last fort of 44.02 (where there were waaaaay too many visitors), the large numbers + a large dance floor ended up with some truly impressive displays of singing and dancing, like in large circles circling around.
When I decide to dance in Adventure Mode, I always do it in a crowded market. Everyone joins in. I like it.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 30, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »

just found out that dwarves in a tavern will gather around someone telling and story or performing music
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 30, 2017, 06:37:27 pm »

When I decide to dance in Adventure Mode, I always do it in a crowded market. Everyone joins in. I like it.

I want to try this now.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 30, 2017, 08:16:10 pm »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 01, 2018, 08:39:23 am »

When using the 'exterminate him' command on a female with DFHack, it will give a message "It's a she!"

The command will still kill the creature though
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 01, 2018, 08:41:21 am »

When using the 'exterminate him' command on a female with DFHack, it will give a message "It's a she!"

I read over this a few times in an attempt to parse it. In all readings, I somehow thought it applied specifically to female ducks.

Where the hell did I get 'duck' from?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 01, 2018, 09:37:17 am »

Probably because when skimming your brain can mistake DFHack for both duck and quack.

Did you konw tath yuor bairn's frist atetpmt at miakng snese of wrtiten lagnuage invloves only looikng at the fsirt and lsat letter, word lnghet, and which chrarectas are in bewteen, but not at all at the spcecfiic odrer of those crharactes in bteween the fitrs and last letetr?

If you try hard to read that sentence, you will pain your brain, but if you just skim over it you will notice you can in fact read it at first glance just fine.

EDIT: on an intersting side note, people with specific type of dyslexia can skim-read a garbled sentence like that just as fast and as well as the population average.
They just have trouble with putting the in between letters in the right order when writing.

EDIT2: nice excercise to get a feel for what dyslectic people have to go through when trying to write is to try and construct a garbled sentence like I did here. Make sure the first and last letter are not garbled, and make sure to use the exact same characters as the orginal word.
This puzzling is what dyslectic people have to go through when trying to write normally. I completely agree with allowing them extra time on tests and exams, like they get here in the Dutch school systems.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:05:38 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 02, 2018, 01:14:26 am »

I read over this a few times in an attempt to parse it. In all readings, I somehow thought it applied specifically to female ducks.

Where the hell did I get 'duck' from?

because you read 5 lines a bout a stray fat guineahen just before and imagined it?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 148