Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442288 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1245 on: March 21, 2018, 04:58:24 am »

Dwarves that learn medicine in libraries auto activate Healthcare jobs in the dabbling skills they just learn, and then kill your dwarves in the hospital. I  hope it is a bug, or Toady really hates us. I dont use therapist and there must dozens of dwarves in this situation.

All dwarves have healthcare labours enabled automatically i think, just disable it. Ill probably make a bug report.
Vanilla DF dwarves only have Feed Patients/Prisoners and Recovering Wounded enabled by default.

They had diagnosing/surgery/etc activated but were only dabbling at it. All of them were assigned scholars that would be discussing things at the library.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 21, 2018, 05:11:12 am »

Ah i see the issue, you assigned the job roles so that they would train up that specialty field but can't control them now that dabbling is applicable to them to start trying it practically.

Why not make a burrow especially for trainee doctors to keep them away from labors in the hospital.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 21, 2018, 06:33:35 am »

Ah i see the issue, you assigned the job roles so that they would train up that specialty field but can't control them now that dabbling is applicable to them to start trying it practically.

Why not make a burrow especially for trainee doctors to keep them away from labors in the hospital.

I didnt assigned job roles for them. I only assigned them as scholars, but somehow the healthcare jobs got assigned automatically when they start learning from other scholars. This is the issue.
There are workarounds, sure.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:26:23 am by thvaz »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 21, 2018, 09:04:53 am »

I didnt assigned job roles for them. I only assigned them as scholars, but somehow the healthcare jobs got assigned automatically when they start learning from other scholars. This is the issue.
Are you using dfhack? It has various auto-labour things that will mess stuff up if you enable them by mistake.

If not, then definitely one for the bug tracker. You don't want automatic skill enablement. Especially if you don't play with something like Therapist where you can quickly spot it.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 21, 2018, 09:05:45 am »

How does unskilled doctor kill the patient?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 21, 2018, 09:16:04 am »

How does unskilled doctor kill the patient?
just like in Reallife.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 21, 2018, 10:19:33 am »

Like amputating head for scratched ear? That must be fun...
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:42 am »

Are you using dfhack? It has various auto-labour things that will mess stuff up if you enable them by mistake.

If not, then definitely one for the bug tracker. You don't want automatic skill enablement. Especially if you don't play with something like Therapist where you can quickly spot it.

No dfhack, total vanilla. I will try to confirm it before posting a report, thanks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 21, 2018, 12:27:00 pm »

Like amputating head for scratched ear? That must be fun...
Actually, I think it's more like taking a very long time to complete the operation, allowing the patient to bleed out, even though there's a much more skilled surgeon idling nearby.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 25, 2018, 07:35:29 pm »

Posted this a while back on the DF subreddit, but thought I'd share it here too.

So I noticed something interesting today as I accidentally flooded my fortress in an artificial lake I built. Long story short, floor collapsed during building and punched a hole into a section under the artificial lake, lake empties, fortress becomes an aquarium.

Anyways, down below in the sleeping quarters I noticed that a few dwarves were trapped in their rooms. I decided to observe them out of macabre intrest to see if they did anything interesting.

Apparently, when dwarves get hungry and thirsty enough they will try to brave the waters. One by one the dwarves tried their luck in getting out of their individual bedrooms, but the pressurized water was too much for anyone and nobody made it further than a couple of tiles. Interestingly there is quite a lot of variation in the time it took for each dwarf to try it, some of it probably comes from when they last ate and drank, but few of them took a lot longer to build up the courage to try to leave. A couple went within a week, most in a couple of months and a few waited until practically dead from thirst already. Hunters and military members seemed to be the first ones to try. Some also tried to hunt small animals in their rooms, but not all. Few opened the door and managed to close it before the room flooded completely, they waited quite a long time until trying again. Children waited until the last possible moments to try to escape and one at least tried to hunt small animals in their rooms prior. That one was abnormal from others who played makebelieve by themselves until finally trying to leave, still playing as they drown, or starving in their room.

My mayor survived quite long and was one of the last stragglers and resisted opening his front door. He eventually did though but managed to close it before his first room flooded completely and then retreated to his bedroom. After that he started frantically running around his bedroom in a panic trying to hunt small creatures, he did not do this prior to first opening the front door. Curiously his thoughts didn't change after starting to panic leading me to believe there is more going on under the hood. Finally, after a while longer he tried to escape again and drowned in his front room.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 25, 2018, 07:53:39 pm »

@trib
Excellent!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 26, 2018, 06:43:54 am »

Hmmm, hearing about a fortress being flooded like that makes me wonder if stockpiling a single pick in, say.. every 5th or 10th dwarfs bedroom would be a good last-minute safety measure.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 26, 2018, 07:29:36 pm »

Or a central pick stockpile area for every section of housing with a few.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 26, 2018, 09:35:27 pm »

If I really wanted to, I could have mined down between the walls and opened the walls between the bedrooms to get them out, that wasn't really a problem so individual picks wouldn't really be necessary unless the miners were drowned somewhere, though it could be a nice backup. I just couldn't be arsed with dealing with 5 levels of water plus trying to block the holes in the artifical lake.

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: March 26, 2018, 09:39:54 pm »

Dwarf babies can read as soon as they're born. Mom was in the library; gave birth. Baby began to read. I do not know if reading increases any skills, but the thought of little dwarf babies reading at their mother's teat breaks the stereotype of dwarves not caring for intellectual pursuits. Nevermind. When I looked more closely at the screenshot, it turns out the baby wasn't reading; the peasant above him was. My mistake.

If I knew how to include a screenshot, I would.
          Thanks, Trib, for the instructions. Since the screenshot proved that I made a mistake, I have chosen not to post it. But now I know how.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:07:49 pm by Quicunque »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 148