Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442260 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1290 on: July 15, 2018, 12:45:59 pm »

Maybe he is thinking "nothing in life is important anymore" because his kid or lover died or something. What are the rest of his thoughts?
Her husband and only son are still alive. Within the last season, she has dwelled upon three memories which have caused anger, exasperation, and annoyance. So maybe she doesn't remember anything good.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 16, 2018, 09:03:31 am »

Apparently, dwarves can get alcohol tolerance.

He is properly drunk, as indicated by his temporary personality changes.

He had the same thought for eating a "pretty decent" meal.
That is one of the most terrifying things I have ever seen in this game.
So actual Depression and PTBS coming to the game? Are they planning to add results to trauma like drug abuse (alcoholism), SelfInjury etc.? Having Dorfs going through puberty falling in love and being committed to that person for a year and trying to impress them and going through pain when being ignored? i can almost see the tantrum spirals coming. "i just embarked and luckily i had no minors on site, so finally no tantrum spiral within the first 3 days."
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 17, 2018, 03:03:03 pm »

THEY'RE

ADAPTING
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 20, 2018, 03:25:19 pm »

Was bouncing minecarts again, 5 on a S-shaped six tile track with two ramps and came across something quite thoroughly odd that I'm complaining about:

▲╝
||

Tower cap and willow minecarts rotate alternatively back and forth, pink tiles are low (50) friction track stops.

First finding was that unlike with ramps, a cart hitting another after a corner still pays 1000 to cross over; unintuitively like with ramps a cart with less than 1000 speed can still move over a corner (and then stop).

The third cart - second tower-cap cart - The first hit it took from the first willow (weight 15) cart, as it tried to go over tile edge and take a turn gave it 2390, when it was moving westward at 1275 (subtiles/step) from retained velocity from coming back up. Being southward only, this didn't impact the westward velocity.

Every subsequent gave it 3830, which is exactly ramp impulse - all frictions - turn cost of 1k. Which means the collision changed from inelastic to elastic.

This means that cart direction on crossing a corner is to the side only if the cart is already at tile edge.

Next one after that, similar issue with the 4th minecart (willow) having remaining 2680 velocity north: First hit when moving over was unelastic 2780 (=3830-1000 turn-50 low stop) which also stopped its westward momentum, then...nothing, no resetting the northeast moving cart to 1340 east each step. Larix showed that a light high-speed cart hitting medium-speed heavy cart from behind gives it low speed, but here it is heavy low-speed cart not overwriting light high-speed cart.

Of course, once the 2nd willow cart going northeast tried to cross over north, it gave unelastic push of 831(=[2380-1050]*15/24) to the second tower-cap cart supposedly pushing on it, which zeroed out its speed (though it didn't recenter it either direction).

Afterwards, it started taking 1340 hits as predicted.

The third tower-cap cart, having stood completely still, took exactly predicted 202 (202,5=(1340-1000)*15/24-10 on first step.
Every subsequent one, it took 330, indicative of an elastic collision (330=(10 friction+202,5)*24/15-10 friction) or cart weight difference not being accounted for (1340-1000-10). Mind, it's willow(15) striking tower-cap (24).

So, I assume it is a case where southward heading light cart striking a heavier cart with heading?? with same or lesser speed results in cart weight difference not being taken into account despite being light on heavy.

(It being nonelastic would indicate ~1544 2. willow speed, which ...does not work with the rest of the numbers at all.)

Well, it moved over 22 st positions into ramp in 152 steps with zero speed (due crossing corner), and the whole dance started the other way around; elastically giving the willow moving southward with 340 4890 from tower-cap.

Overall: I shouldn't have calced out month long repeaters without doing simple tests of design first. Stupid diagonal elastic collisions ruining my precious predictions >_>

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:03 am »

I don't know why I thought new arrivals were exemt from moods, they're not. A migrant just went fey before the person behind him even entered the map, blinking X and all.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 24, 2018, 10:25:18 pm »

You don't need to have "No Job" to get married.

||

Though without an impulse, the two dwarves took 11 years to get married, when there's only 7 around and their jobs are limited to occassional plant gathering and brewing.

(Not the goal, was testing minecart counters. Seems they can be quite sensitive to build order.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:32:04 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:27 am »

Semi-megabeasts can be cursed with Lycanthropy.  Whereas normal creatures gain size while transformed, SMB's actually shrink to accommodate the curse.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 26, 2018, 05:48:45 pm »

Can a wolf get a werewolf curse?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 26, 2018, 05:55:15 pm »

I don't think animals can get cursed, can they?
A wolf-man probably can though.
Half-wolfman, half werewolf. Scary. I think...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 26, 2018, 07:19:57 pm »

I don't think animals can get cursed, can they?
A wolf-man probably can though.
I'm fairly certain that lycanthropy requires [CAN_LEARN], so critters are a no-go.  Same reason why it works on certain SMBs but not MBs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 26, 2018, 10:12:37 pm »

And werewolf literally means "manwolf".
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 27, 2018, 12:46:18 am »

And werewolf literally means "manwolf".
Half wolf-woman, half manwolf.
Um...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 27, 2018, 02:51:30 am »

Playing again after some pause and I'm constantly finding funny little WTFs I didn't see in the earlier versions.

A dwarf gets hauled into the hospital and is "diagnosed with inebriation." No treatment is prescribed and the dwarf immediately gets up and goes to work further on his inebriation. Yes, that sounds realistic, but why bother with dwarves?

Chief medical dwarf has a night troll uncle and cousin in his relationship screen. They're both pure night trolls, not abducted spouses, and have no real relation to him in the Legends mode. He also feels lonely from time to time because he'd like to spend time with his family. Trust me, you don't.

In the barracks area, bolts missing archery targets somehow also manage to miss the floor below and end up in the Duke's dining room two levels down. They simply teleport through solid stone flashing briefly on the level I was planning to use as the collecting area; I wonder if this could be exploited as a safe way to recover bolts during sieges.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 27, 2018, 03:30:26 am »

A dwarf gets hauled into the hospital and is "diagnosed with inebriation." No treatment is prescribed and the dwarf immediately gets up and goes to work further on his inebriation. Yes, that sounds realistic, but why bother with dwarves?

In vanilla game inebriation has [SYN_NO_HOSPITAL] flag, which should prevent it from being treated. Maybe the dwarf had other problem, and was dragged to the hospital because of that other problem, and then diagnosed with inebriation just because he happen to have it too.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: July 27, 2018, 09:47:37 am »

In vanilla game inebriation has [SYN_NO_HOSPITAL] flag, which should prevent it from being treated. Maybe the dwarf had other problem, and was dragged to the hospital because of that other problem, and then diagnosed with inebriation just because he happen to have it too.

That's very likely, since dwarves can sometimes heal mangled limbs and ruptured organs in less time than it takes them to get to a hospital. A funny coincidence anyway.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 148