Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443148 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2014, 05:05:31 pm »

I just got in a kid who had only a father.  Parthenogenesis: not just for women anymore!

....I knew wereskinks wouldn't stop at killing....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2014, 11:50:45 pm »

I noticed three dorfs can spar together.

The broker + another axedwarf vs The militia commander
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:31 am »

Dwarves can walk on water. Don't ask me how!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2014, 01:10:41 am »

If you mean brooks, then it is normal. Because brooks have a solid surface.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2014, 11:34:41 am »

No I've noticed it too, a dwarf or animal can run across a river if it's not too wide, though it probably only works if the water is a z-level below (more like jumping the river than sprinting across the surface)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2014, 01:17:29 pm »

I have found that dwarves submerged in 6/6 water will not drown, provided they have been frightened into climbing the wall. This was discovered when an exploratory upward shaft to find maximum height of a lava tube I discovered when I punched into the magma sea came up through the bottom of a cavern lake. I went crazy trying to block off the lower fort from the flood while simultaneously trying to save the legendary miner, and what ended up happening was that his escape tunnel came out right in front of a giant olm, he panicked and dived head first into the water, and then spent the next season scrambling along the (sheer) walls of the lake, below the waterline. Because of the hole in the lake floor the water level was consistently 5-6/7, and at no time did the miner (while under 6/7 water!) display the "drowning" status in his health screen.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2014, 11:26:16 pm »

No I've noticed it too, a dwarf or animal can run across a river if it's not too wide, though it probably only works if the water is a z-level below (more like jumping the river than sprinting across the surface)
If you "k" the river you'll find there's a downward slope along the bank. It looks like water which is 1-z level below.
Maybe that makes the river narrower than it appears to be so they can jump across it?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:31:24 pm by utunnels »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2014, 03:38:08 am »

Because of the hole in the lake floor the water level was consistently 5-6/7, and at no time did the miner (while under 6/7 water!) display the "drowning" status in his health screen.

Perhaps he wasn't drowning because he was swimming?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2014, 04:51:02 am »

I've watched wild boars hurdling streams. It seems that if they want to path somewhere, they will path there.

I've also seen a dog chasing a giraffe fail to make the jump and plunge into the water.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »

Dwarves don't drown in 6/7 water anyway. It's a useful way to force-train Swimming without them starving if you forget about them. You fill a small rampless pool with a mixture of 6/7 and 7/7 water, and drop them in. The 6/7 tiles allow them to breathe, and the 7/7 tiles allow them to eventually escape. They can't get out at all until they hit Novice level, iirc.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2014, 09:13:32 pm »

Dwarves don't drown in 6/7 water anyway. It's a useful way to force-train Swimming without them starving if you forget about them. You fill a small rampless pool with a mixture of 6/7 and 7/7 water, and drop them in. The 6/7 tiles allow them to breathe, and the 7/7 tiles allow them to eventually escape. They can't get out at all until they hit Novice level, iirc.
It would arguably be safer, if not more work to set up, to drop them into a 3/7 - 4/7 pool.  You could do it with buckets or hook it up to a pressure plate.

But yea, the odds of them getting out prematurely are slim.  Its like adventurer mode, where they alternate between flailing about and moving slowly.  Remember 20 tiles to path out or they wont even try.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

bananaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »

One of my dwarves made a + roast [4]+:

He also refuses to make lavish meals out of different things! I've got 236 cookable ingredients of 23 different types, and most of my prepared meals are made out of 4 of one ingredient! ARGH!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:16:37 pm by bananaman »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2014, 01:54:07 pm »

He also refuses to make lavish meals out of different things! I've got 236 cookable ingredients of 23 different types, and most of my prepared meals are made out of 4 of one ingredient! ARGH!
Delicious kenaf seeds and nothingness

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2014, 02:09:57 pm »

It would arguably be safer, if not more work to set up, to drop them into a 3/7 - 4/7 pool.  You could do it with buckets or hook it up to a pressure plate.

But yea, the odds of them getting out prematurely are slim.  Its like adventurer mode, where they alternate between flailing about and moving slowly.  Remember 20 tiles to path out or they wont even try.
20 tiles to path out?

Oh, and I forgot about climbing. The vast majority of my .40 experience is with Adventurer Mode.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2014, 05:15:16 pm »

I think there are some not properly implemented plant seeds (or leaves?) that simply have no name. I've on occasion seen " " in my kitchen screens which could be set to cook and resulted in "roast".
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 148