Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443098 times)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1365 on: September 10, 2018, 04:02:03 pm »

Had it happen 2 more times, with 2 different packs of badgers. When one pack member gets caught, the others stop whatever they are doing and start loitering/observing, one or two tiles away from the traps. The badgers will never willingly step into a tile they suspect is trapped.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:26 pm »

I think that stems from the leader being trapped first usually, and since the leader isn't dead, they just hang around the cage instead of running along on their merry way; if someone else in that isn't the leader gets caught, they usually continue on like there's nothing wrong. Least that's my observation.

Needs further testing, but it seems like blunt weapon fighters are more likely to knock the teeth out of enemies' heads, thus ensuring teeth will traumatize the general population for weeks to come after a siege; it's almost as if they're jealous of blade users' capacity to send limbs flying. I could just be imagining it.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 11, 2018, 02:03:55 am »

heavy metal boots might pump him up though :D
*all the other kids with their pumped up kicks...*
If this happens again, you better believe they will.
Better run, better run, outrun Sigun...
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 14, 2018, 12:24:08 pm »

Loot counts as imported wealth, regardless of whether you're the raider or the raidee.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 14, 2018, 01:27:33 pm »

Loot counts as imported wealth, regardless of whether you're the raider or the raidee.

Dwarf Fortress: euphemism simulator

I picture Urist McRaider, sheathed in blood and tears and steel, striding into the tavern and slamming a bag full of goblin innards and other spoils right in the middle of the +prickle berry seed roast+. His mien is terrible and also covered with prickle berry seeds. The Kat shaker drops his block, the dancing lurches to a halt, and every bleary bloodshot eye in the room is on him.

"Imported weath!" is what he bellows, leering through his beard at every staring face.

And the room's timbers shake with the fell dwarven laughter from every dwarven throat. Someone throws him a kaolinite mug of carrot wine, and he downs it in a gulp. Then the announcer comes on and it turns out to be ANOTHER stupid carrot wine commercial. Quaff Carrotwine to slake your bloodiest after-raid thirst! Christ, I hope the dwarven economy never comes back.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 14, 2018, 01:42:54 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: euphemism simulator

I picture Urist McRaider, sheathed in blood and tears and steel, striding into the tavern and slamming a bag full of goblin innards and other spoils right in the middle of the +prickle berry seed roast+. His mien is terrible and also covered with prickle berry seeds. The Kat shaker drops his block, the dancing lurches to a halt, and every bleary bloodshot eye in the room is on him.

"Imported weath!" is what he bellows, leering through his beard at every staring face.

And the room's timbers shake with the fell dwarven laughter from every dwarven throat. Someone throws him a kaolinite mug of carrot wine, and he downs it in a gulp. Then the announcer comes on and it turns out to be ANOTHER stupid carrot wine commercial. Quaff Carrotwine to slake your bloodiest after-raid thirst! Christ, I hope the dwarven economy never comes back.

I was about to type something about a nazi securing a bottle of cognac for future generations, but your example works just as well.

And it's not that you really need to simulate a lot of economy, as long as there is distinction between nobles, soldiers and commoners. In a traditional society, everyone just trades favors or uses their status to get things done. You only need currency when you're trading with an outsider, and a lot of the time that currency is called "sheep".

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 09, 2018, 06:14:58 pm »

(I couldn't find if this has been observed/mentioned before)

I had a dragon attack my fortress (regular dragon, not a cave dragon).  The were ten monster slayers who had petitioned to be part of the fort.  If they died due to melting they reverted profession.  So a spearman would get vaporized and it would say (name), human jeweler has been found melted.

If the dragon struck them down or they died to bleeding their profession would be unchanged.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 13, 2018, 12:46:00 pm »

Found something that I didn't know before.

If you build a bunch of cages for use as jails, and designate a room from one of them, and set it to be used for justice, it will allocate all the cages covered by the room for justice, rather than you having to designate each cage individually for use for justice.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 14, 2018, 12:52:22 am »

I got a new computer so I wanted to see how far I could push it with embark size. I embarked in an 8x8 area, and immediately got a notification that I had found a cave. Looking in the units list I found a gremlin and a Hydra. Didn't know you could embark ON a megabeast. I then tried to zoom in on a unit from the unit list and the game immediately crashed.

If you can embark on hidden sites, does that mean you could embark on a vault?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 14, 2018, 01:25:10 am »

I got a new computer so I wanted to see how far I could push it with embark size. I embarked in an 8x8 area, and immediately got a notification that I had found a cave. Looking in the units list I found a gremlin and a Hydra. Didn't know you could embark ON a megabeast. I then tried to zoom in on a unit from the unit list and the game immediately crashed.

No; in fact, one of the methods for finding a Vault's specific square is to go to its coordinates and find the square you can't embark on.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 14, 2018, 02:30:44 am »

No; in fact, one of the methods for finding a Vault's specific square is to go to its coordinates and find the square you can't embark on.
i mostly cannot embark if all embark squares are on high mountains.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 14, 2018, 04:03:43 am »

i mostly cannot embark if all embark squares are on high mountains.
Right, but I'm talking about squares you could otherwise embark on.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 14, 2018, 04:41:12 am »

...and once the location has been found, use DFHack's embark-anywhere for some high quality but short lived !!FUN!!
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1378 on: October 15, 2018, 01:07:45 am »

The dwarven checkerboard might work on them. On the other hand, they might not be as actively malevolent as clowns, and fail to strive ever upward. This calls for some !!SCIENCE!!.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 17, 2018, 12:19:41 pm »

Today one of my Goblin citizens gave birth to a Goblin baby! First time in the history of me playing DF has a non-Dwarven citizen given birth in my Fortress. I didn't actually even know it was possible. I will be keeping a close eye on her development as she integrates into the Dwarven society.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 148