Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443619 times)

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1395 on: December 07, 2018, 01:43:12 am »

Tavern brawls can generate Curses if the Tavern & Temple share a tile.  You can also get Cursed by knocking over a bookcase in a Library-Temple combo.

So like a brawl spilling out of the tavern into a temple zone?  You can't assign one tile two zones/locations.  Or am I misunderstanding?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 07, 2018, 06:15:48 am »

I think you can. You jut have to define one of them as a room. Say for instance, that in your tavern zone, you define one room from a table and assign that to your temple.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 07, 2018, 08:18:15 am »

You can stack zones one upon other as much as you want, I do it all the times. You can also combine it with rooms, sure, and assign multiple zones and rooms to a single location. When your cursor is over a tile with multiple zones, you use "v" to switch displayed zone to the next one. You must be directly on a shared tile for this option to be available.

If you have dfhack, you may also use my script for gods listing, when cursor is over a zone and you run the script, it will list all zones which are under this cursor, and what locations they are assigned to, if any. When used on location in a "l" screen it will list all zones and rooms assigned to this location: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172496.0
You can use "-noroom" option to disable listing rooms (so only zones will be listed), because taverns can have hundreds of rooms. I use it to help manage these locations with multiple zones.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 08, 2018, 07:41:51 pm »

If a Route Stop begins on a ramp, the Dwarves will have insufficient momentum to push it, resulting in the cart immediately rolling back over the tile and injuring anything in its' path, including the Dwarf who tried to push it.  This situation can lead to very fast !FUN!, since the Dwarves will immediately attempt to push the cart again, until they injure themselves to the point where they can't walk.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 08, 2018, 09:37:50 pm »

If a Route Stop begins on a ramp, the Dwarves will have insufficient momentum to push it, resulting in the cart immediately rolling back over the tile and injuring anything in its' path, including the Dwarf who tried to push it.  This situation can lead to very fast !FUN!, since the Dwarves will immediately attempt to push the cart again, until they injure themselves to the point where they can't walk.
Self-operated danger room?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 10, 2018, 12:38:52 am »

In adventure mode I killed a forgotten beast that had wiped out a fortress.  I claimed the site, but never got a message confirming it.  I retired my adventurer in another fortress.

In dwarf fortress mode I decided to reclaim that fortress.  When my expedition arrived there my adventurer was spotted and I got a warning of an ambush.  My adventurer was hostile and showed up in the units screen as an enemy.  I paused the game.  I didn't want to kill my character.

I used DFhack gui/gm-editor on my adventurer and set the 'visitor' flag to true.  When I unpaused the game my adventurer was not hostile and functioned like a normal visitor.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 12, 2018, 03:32:27 am »

Add this as a attached note-comment or a bug report on Mantis please for the relevant bug reports.

That's really really odd and im sure could invoke a crash if it didn't recognise between killing them and retiring that fortress that the adventurer you might be trying to use is dead (or maybe oddly just create a duplicate of your character, wherin you go back and loot their corpse)

That is unless it just prompts you to create a new adventurer.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 12, 2018, 11:23:40 am »

Yea, is it possible to do a little more !!SCIENCE!! ?, does this traumatic event train any skills or attributes?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 12, 2018, 09:38:16 pm »

Yea, is it possible to do a little more !!SCIENCE!! ?, does this traumatic event train any skills or attributes?
The Fort in which I made this discovery is semi-serious, but I will definitely create a test Fort to get more data.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 12, 2018, 11:55:15 pm »

Keep us posted on that.
Would a loaded iron minecart cause damage through armor? An empty wood one train dodging and armor use?
I miss how I remember danger rooms working.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 13, 2018, 04:21:55 am »

Keep us posted on that.
Would a loaded iron minecart cause damage through armor? An empty wood one train dodging and armor use?
I miss how I remember danger rooms working.

Platinum minecarts destroy creatures of virtually any size by crushing if they are able to with a intense force for a brief reminder of the most extreme effects you can harness with minecarts then applying it to lighter examples, considering weight x velocity the same way in-game weapons are slightly capped but can be still used by the minor statistical advantage of the users strength, agility and whether they are one or two handed gripping the weapon sized right for them.

Armor colliding and shaking would have made this significantly more deadly though even on featherwood minecarts.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 15, 2018, 05:58:38 am »

I just found a 4 deep water pond freezes in a block of ice that melts in a 7 deep pond of water.

I'm channeling new sections of dirt next to the pond every winter and now it's grown into a small lake.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 15, 2018, 10:40:06 am »

I just found a 4 deep water pond freezes in a block of ice that melts in a 7 deep pond of water.

I'm channeling new sections of dirt next to the pond every winter and now it's grown into a small lake.

Not suprised, ponds become virtual aquifers when it rains, id like to know your method though as im told that caving in the ice (but it needs the pond-floors in order to be refilled so cheating to make a obsidianiser esque contraption is harder) creates water.

• EI - if you caved in enough glacier ice providing you survived embark, you could create a mossy cavern on the first significant stone layer and a slightly stable water supply providing you had a wide area and carefully planned & used the desalinated water ice.
My last successful fortress i used rain ponds to irrigate my below ground sunlight exposed farm by putting a floodgate infront of a channel leading from it, and let the water spread out after bricking the roof back in for safety as the rain pushed water pressure forward even though there wasn't that much water inside the pond over my spread out area.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:48:37 am by FantasticDorf »

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 15, 2018, 06:03:39 pm »

Oh wow, that's super way over the thing I do with water. Maybe I confused things using the word "pond", meaning "a few tiles with natural stagnant water", not an activity  area assigned as Pit / Pond.

If you have a natural puddle with depth 7, say

You channel around and water distributes itself in

But in winter it becomes solid ice.

Then, in spring the blocks melt as 7 water and you get

And then you can make it a bit bigger again every year.

¿Hope I managed to explain it well? Also, I've tried to carry ice indoors to get water and pastures when it melts but agh, my citizens keep cleaning the stone floor.

I know I'm doing something wrong but I still struggle with pits and ponds and minecarts and hidraulics. I want to experiment with pressure levels and pumps but I always get carried by roleplaying and don't want to kill my citizens with ¡Science!

(¡The bridge and ice idea is neat, though!)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: December 15, 2018, 06:18:31 pm »

When ice items melt they make contaminant water on the floor, which is not the kind that exists in ponds and rivers and can flow and whatnot. That’s why your dwarves are constantly cleaning it up.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 148