Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439493 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1410 on: December 15, 2018, 07:05:30 pm »

@pamelrabo
You could exploit your puddle further by splitting the puddle similar to how you have been doing it, but allow the water to flow into underground tiles where it will not freeze. Then convert the stagnant water to fresh water using a screwpump, and pump it into a 2-z pit and build a well over it. Careful with the screwpump... it causes pressure and can flood parts of a fort if it has access to too much water.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 23, 2018, 07:29:43 am »

I just found a 4 deep water pond freezes in a block of ice that melts in a 7 deep pond of water.

I'm channeling new sections of dirt next to the pond every winter and now it's grown into a small lake.

That works with any depth, but of corse 1/7  might evaporate so usually 2/7 is the way to go.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: December 24, 2018, 08:37:30 pm »

So we all know the horror dwarves experience nowadays upon seeing the teeth of dead gobbos lying around...

...but what about teeth from someone who isn't dead yet?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These teeth got knocked loose when my manager threw a tantrum and punched a gem cutter in the face. They've been sitting there awhile now, and the furnace operators don't seem to care.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: December 25, 2018, 03:05:57 am »

Were gila monster bites apply necrosis. The wiki says gila monster bites just causes swelling and pain. Either the wiki info on gila monsters is incomplete, or lycanthropy seems to be able to somehow exacerbate syndrome effects in some cases.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 25, 2018, 01:34:41 pm »

Severe swelling can lead to necrosis. I had a FB with swelling-inducing blood, and some of my warriors' faces started melting, even though DFHack said there was no necrosis syndrome in work.
Of course if you get bitten by a were gila monster you have more serious problems than your body rotting.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 25, 2018, 01:59:43 pm »

Severe swelling can lead to necrosis. I had a FB with swelling-inducing blood, and some of my warriors' faces started melting.

I learned this the hard way a while back. Full body swelling to the point of necrosis - the afflicted would bloat and die on the way to the hospital, even though the FB itself had been a joke int erms of strength, a simple water blob. Wiped out an entire squad of marksdwarves with one big-ass dust burst that way.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: December 26, 2018, 01:20:15 pm »

Of course if you get bitten by a were gila monster you have more serious problems than your body rotting.

Agreed. Corpse rotting is very nearly the same, but it's a pretty important difference.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: December 26, 2018, 04:59:54 pm »

Were gila monster bites apply necrosis. The wiki says gila monster bites just causes swelling and pain. Either the wiki info on gila monsters is incomplete, or lycanthropy seems to be able to somehow exacerbate syndrome effects in some cases.
Actually, the truth is even stranger! Each time a weregila monster is generated, it gets a random FB-like syndrome applied to its bite. It's not the same every time.

Quixotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: December 28, 2018, 05:26:26 pm »

Sometimes dwarves will cry after finishing an artifact.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: December 31, 2018, 06:40:19 am »

[ANIMAL] entity linked creatures, particularly ones that are [ALWAYS_AVAILIBLE] in the RAW arguements are more (not totally) likely to be the favourite animals of citizens of that civ, if the pool of animals to use is quite small this makes it easy to decorate and design images for decoration and symbol pictures to be repeated which will please a lot of citizens at once.

If your civ has a animal tag allowing dogs, dogs will turn up in preferences, maybe you can make a picture of your dwarves admiring the loyalty of them, or ripping a goblin's throat out while dwarves applaud and laugh then detail it around the fortress. Simple stylistic decorations of things dwarves like in the color & texturing material that they like significantly increase room value.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: December 31, 2018, 06:28:09 pm »

Engravings don’t get admired. They simply increase the value of rooms. The contents of engravings are thus presumably immaterial, except for role playing purposes.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: December 31, 2018, 07:57:25 pm »

Engravings don’t get admired. They simply increase the value of rooms. The contents of engravings are thus presumably immaterial, except for role playing purposes.

This wasn't always the case, a rollback to 30.whenever can confirm, as with other things like parties and game breaking bugs as standard.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 01, 2019, 11:07:16 pm »

TIL that sports events are a thing. There are multiple books in my possession about foot races and wrestling matches between dwarves or different settlements.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 02, 2019, 11:41:18 am »

Not to degrade your findings, but a quick walk to legends mode would have revealed a lot of "competitions" like that, together with ceremonies and festivities. I am more supprised that there are books about it, but I don't often have a library.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: January 02, 2019, 06:30:38 pm »

• You can't craft clothes for troll, but Moose men cloths will fit them like a charm
• The mongols are best known for periodically going north and south the great wall of china. This is why, in DF, "Monggol" means "Nation of the wall"

You actualy can, if you restrict a clothiers shop or blacksmiths forge (for armor) to beings of a spacific race and order clothes from it without specifying the size those creatures will always make clothing of their own size. Its most apparent if you get a human tailor or armorer who occasionaly helps out on work orders producing items your dwarves cant use but using dfhack for testing ive been able to have everything from trolls to giants and ettins make properly fitted gear for themselves
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 148