Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443677 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1530 on: May 06, 2019, 09:56:54 am »

My first and current fort is called Practicebanners. I find it interesting because this fort is how I'm learning/practicing the game. Apparently if the lliason stays for many years, you can retire, play a few adventures, then unretire, and your fort will still be inhabited and the lliason will leave and come back normally.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 07, 2019, 08:20:40 pm »

Ghosts retain certain physical traits.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 07, 2019, 08:24:30 pm »

Oh my.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 07, 2019, 11:16:25 pm »

All male ghosts are like that. Strictly speaking they don't have any body parts, so they don't have that body part either. DF logic.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 07, 2019, 11:32:56 pm »

We seem to forget the most important lesson again and again.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 08, 2019, 02:09:52 am »

We seem to forget the most important lesson again and again.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
and it keeps them from making children - for the sake of sanity.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 08, 2019, 03:58:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarves split food before they eat.
This is what happens when a bunch of hungery dwarves raid a kitchen.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 09, 2019, 04:30:59 am »

I ordered a marble statue for a fallen warrior, looking for him as historical fig. The statue was named after another person, and I was puzzled for a while, until I read the description. Turns out it was about the wife of the warrior AND the warrior, embracing, relating to their marriage day. So touching.

So, sculptors sometimes use the historical figs as secondary characters for their works, ¡keep an eye on that!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 09, 2019, 04:34:23 am »

I ordered a marble statue for a fallen warrior, looking for him as historical fig. The statue was named after another person, and I was puzzled for a while, until I read the description. Turns out it was about the wife of the warrior AND the warrior, embracing, relating to their marriage day. So touching.

So, sculptors sometimes use the historical figs as secondary characters for their works, ¡keep an eye on that!
Yes, it gets very confusing when you're trying to make a statue of a god and all you end up with is statues of dwarves writing rude poems (in order to worship said god).

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 09, 2019, 05:18:58 am »

Yes, it gets very confusing when you're trying to make a statue of a god and all you end up with is statues of dwarves writing rude poems (in order to worship said god).

That said, it makes sense, historical and religious art makes that a lot (saints visiting another people, or receiving divine presences, or nobles paying homage to a liege...). But the name changing of the statue makes it confusing.

Also, I recommend making a statue of every weremonster you slain, sometimes you learn really interesting stories about them because for some reason your sculptor knows everything about that entity.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 10, 2019, 10:48:12 am »

All male ghosts are like that. Strictly speaking they don't have any body parts, so they don't have that body part either. DF logic.

That explains it! I couldn't find the gelding strike on him in the combat logs.

*cursor drifts toward raws*

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 10, 2019, 12:58:08 pm »

That explains it! I couldn't find the gelding strike on him in the combat logs.

*cursor drifts toward raws*

"for the sake of sanity"
the dwarves sanity and maybe even more important your very own.
if you're making deals with the devil, you don't change the devil - the devil changes you.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 10, 2019, 05:02:28 pm »

The first fractal creation I've seen from a dwarf so far:

Shukarthun, "The Tall Dominion", a silver war hammer.
This is a silver war hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is decorated with pig tail and encircled with bands of almond wood.  This object menaces with spikes of chalk.  On the item is an image of The Tall Dominion, the silver war hammer in silver.

Surprisingly practical as well! 

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 11, 2019, 02:16:11 am »

This is a silver war hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is decorated with pig tail and encircled with bands of almond wood.  This object menaces with spikes of chalk.  On the item is an image of The Tall Dominion, the silver war hammer in silver.

the exact description of an item such as this is created the very moment it is first looked at in detail. This means the pool of images etc. now includes the item or can even include events that happened after its creation, making it look like the creator had some creepy insight.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 11, 2019, 05:02:03 pm »

the exact description of an item such as this is created the very moment it is first looked at in detail. This means the pool of images etc. now includes the item or can even include events that happened after its creation, making it look like the creator had some creepy insight.

Obviously this means it is of infinite weight. Go Shao Kahn on some poor gobbo.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 148