Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443178 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1590 on: June 17, 2019, 05:50:55 am »

Forgotten beasts will fight one another in the caverns.  I just had a winged forgotten beast made of vomit kick the head off of a forgotten beast made of ash.  But not before getting its left wing cut open and fractured.

Probably mentioned elsewhere, but noticed minecarts' shotgunning is checked before too high velocity penalty is applied (in-water collisions with crossed distance above 0,45 but below 0,55 tiles/step).
Do you mean that stuff traveled further underwater than above water?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:15:56 pm by Schmaven »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 18, 2019, 09:46:53 am »

No, I mean that when I collide a water shotgun cart with water-filled zinc cart (expelling the contents of both) that then turns around and hits now-again water-filled shotgun cart, the shotgun cart expelled its contents (above water) when it was made of gold but not when it was made of platinum.

Got the idea for recycling expelling impulse energy when reading Yet Another Minecart Hydro Cannon from January.

(Sadly, even with zinc and platinum, the shotgun cart takes 7 steps to move off the tile it stopped and filled in provided it sits in 7/7, so these steps are still less jam-prone when separated.)

E: Though on a second thought, maybe submerged wrong build order newton cradle could work better.

E2: Yeah, can easily get 3 step 180°+simultaneous water loading with 4 platinum minecarts (moves out of water at 0,54106 t/s without 7/7 friction i.e. stays loaded with water. 0,33296 with always-refilling 7/7, so 4 steps in that case unless one preemptively displaces it sideways).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:32:07 am by Fleeting Frames »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 26, 2019, 06:13:38 pm »

In a reanimating biome, dwarves killed by one in a fell mood, will reanimate from the butcher's shop, causing the fell dwarf to kill another dwarf, or 2.  I didn't let it play out to see how far it would repeat.  I bet eventually one of the zombies would kill the fell dwarf and break the cycle.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 26, 2019, 06:38:04 pm »

In a reanimating biome, dwarves killed by one in a fell mood, will reanimate from the butcher's shop, causing the fell dwarf to kill another dwarf, or 2.  I didn't let it play out to see how far it would repeat.  I bet eventually one of the zombies would kill the fell dwarf and break the cycle.
Sounds like a good way to train a bone carver

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 26, 2019, 06:48:04 pm »

How? The fell mood dwarf never gets trained, and I don't know for sure, but I would assume none of the killed dwarves are good for regular bone carving.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 26, 2019, 08:14:53 pm »

How? The fell mood dwarf never gets trained, and I don't know for sure, but I would assume none of the killed dwarves are good for regular bone carving.
When a fell dwarf makes an artifact, they either become a legendary bone carver or legendary butcher and you can keep selling the artifacts that the fell dwarf creates

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 27, 2019, 07:01:13 am »

He never did finish any creation as they reanimated in the middle of his work.  It is however a great way to turn the fort into undead very quickly.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 29, 2019, 02:59:20 am »

A group of dwarfs were fighting a forgotten beast and they spotted a gremlin attempting to sneak past. The gremlin did not flee, he ran over to a dwarf and bravely attacked him. So, the gremlin must have noted the fight and chosen to side with the FB.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 29, 2019, 09:08:36 am »

Ah! An eldritch horror bearing death and destruction to my people! I must slay it!

Ahhh! A DWARF!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 29, 2019, 09:43:54 am »

(Oops.)

Discovery: When you kill your best armorer by ice-casting, their corpse and clothes will be invisible inside the wall...but after they die as the tile turns into a wall, they drop the threads sewn into them separately into the tile, keeping those visible.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 30, 2019, 04:15:17 pm »

Designating "Smooth Stone" over an area only marked for another designation will automatically toggle that one from marker to standard.
Like, say, you once wanted to channel out something (or just paint some measurements and use "marker channel" for that) and marked it, but then found you'd rather keep the floor and just smoothen it. Designating a large area for smoothing is done quickly, hardly worth a look at the keyboard let alone the screen... d-s-enter-shift_right*2-shift_down-enter-esc. Maybe, say, an area above your livingroom area that, maybe, has a basin somewhere. While they're smoothening the floor (yawn, you wouldn't wanna observe *that* closely, would you?) check some progress in another section of the fortress. Come back some time later and watch how the effect of your trivial finding has unraveled.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 01, 2019, 03:02:57 am »

Designating "Smooth Stone" over an area only marked for another designation will automatically toggle that one from marker to standard.
Like, say, you once wanted to channel out something (or just paint some measurements and use "marker channel" for that) and marked it, but then found you'd rather keep the floor and just smoothen it. Designating a large area for smoothing is done quickly, hardly worth a look at the keyboard let alone the screen... d-s-enter-shift_right*2-shift_down-enter-esc. Maybe, say, an area above your livingroom area that, maybe, has a basin somewhere. While they're smoothening the floor (yawn, you wouldn't wanna observe *that* closely, would you?) check some progress in another section of the fortress. Come back some time later and watch how the effect of your trivial finding has unraveled.
the same happens with digging markers when your dorfs start channeling above: the marker gets turned on with a higher priority than the channeling - which caused my two initial miners to die from the cavein.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 01, 2019, 03:53:58 am »

Well, I guess some initial casualties can't be avoided, hope they got a nice memorial statue in the dining room or on the roof ;).
Another trivial finding, kind of a follow-up: no matter what material one supplies as a substrate, those cobaltite floor blocks won't ever have the same in-game appearance as the ones that have been laid on top of the natural layer floor. I walled the unfortunate channeling accident with rough walls of the same material that the floor is, but the newly laid floor on top of a wall looks different... there goes the symmetrical legendary dining hall...

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: July 01, 2019, 04:05:43 am »

You could still have some symmetry if you channeled and walled other areas of the dining hall.  Or even the entire dining hall if you have the workforce capacity.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 01, 2019, 07:15:52 am »

Yes, but I'd have to move half of my living-room section to someplace else. For the time being, it's ok to have found out that *not everything can be reversed 100%* in the game ;)
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 148