Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442272 times)

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1665 on: October 01, 2019, 03:23:14 am »

A locked door that cannot be destroyed from below can protect an unlocked hatch cover over the opening to it.  This configuration attracts building destroyers like an artifact building would and the attraction can be stopped by locking the hatch. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 01, 2019, 10:21:38 am »

Huh. How long did you test whether the two stayed undamaged? It takes a full day to destroy a building iirc.

If proven to work against the deeps, this is probably more useful than an artifact building itself would be.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 01, 2019, 02:31:53 pm »

It wasn't a deliberate test; I'd placed the door behind the hatch way back because I'd accidentally unlocked the hatch once.  I think it must have been sitting unlocked for years, maybe decades.  When I found it had been unlocked there was a FB under the hatch.  However long that particular FB had been there there either it or its predecessors had been there a long time. 

I've since lured the FB off elsewhere and killed it, but I used the unlocked hatch and locked door to keep it in place while I set up the archery gallery and new entrance to lure it. 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 02, 2019, 02:59:30 am »

A wombat was hit by flying magma three times and got thrown considerable distances, but was apparently never actually exposed to magmatic contact.
Not that I doubt your findings but that might just be a very accurate simulation of real life wombats. AFAIK they can just shrug off things like collisions with pickup trucks and simply walk away from the smoking wreckage.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 04:30:46 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 03, 2019, 10:36:55 pm »

Blind cave ogres enjoy biting off dwarven heads.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 07, 2019, 07:02:17 am »

Invading goblins can detect elven ambushers for you.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 09, 2019, 07:04:13 am »

Rivers can spawn below lakes. This can result in completely walled off river sources, and potentially waterfalls when the lake drops into river. And also river that both flows in from off-map and has sources, in this case.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In my case it stabilized at a point where the spillover dried up as fast as it filled in.

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 10, 2019, 10:39:37 pm »

The combine-plants script also works on meats, organs, and fats with a minor change. This allows you to consolidate those stacks of kidneys[2] for cooking and storage. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

some_stranger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 12, 2019, 06:52:06 pm »

Fruit tree seeds.  They can not be cooked, and Dwarves love filling random bags up with them.  If only there was a way to easily get rid of all of them at once...
"He personally has a deep dislike of the natural world after being caught in the rain in 125."

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 12, 2019, 07:04:48 pm »

Fruit tree seeds.  They can not be cooked, and Dwarves love filling random bags up with them.  If only there was a way to easily get rid of all of them at once...
Disallow all of them on your food stockpile and any new fruit tree seeds will be left on the ground and eaten by vermin.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 12, 2019, 10:47:44 pm »

With stockpile settings, it's not that bad of a process to trade them away.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 19, 2019, 04:21:58 am »

More of an observation than a finding, but it seems that, for all intents and purposes, the high ground in DF is a disadvantage, and an "inverted hill" is a better defensive design overall. Jumping down is more punishing than climbing up (falling damage and stun, no coverage from missiles), line of sight and ranged combat work the same in both directions, and building a defensive structure from the low ground up allows it to have fortifications on the base ground level (thus, allowing for siege engines and maximum range on marksdwarves).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:42:34 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 19, 2019, 05:34:17 am »

More of an observation than a finding, but it seems that, for all intents and purposes, the high ground in DF is a disadvantage, and an "inverted hill" is a better defensive design overall. Jumping down is more punishing than climbing up (no coverage from missiles, falling damage and stun), line of sight and ranged combat work the same in both directions, and building a defensive structure from the low ground up allows it to have fortifications on the base ground level (thus, allowing for siege engines and maximum range on marksdwarves).
:( so my forts have always been a huge failure when built like medieval cities, castles, forts?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 19, 2019, 06:03:37 am »

Well, it's not all bad - tall walls still prevent invaders from waltzing into your living grounds, especially if they are made unclimbable. It's just that marksdwaves cover less ground when positioned up high (because max shooting angle is 45 degrees), siege engines are hard to place, and invaders don't suffer as much as they could. Building up is not optimal, but neither it is useless - imo, it's definitely more aesthetic.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 19, 2019, 08:11:16 am »

Hm, I'm now imaging a defensive hallway where the sides are covered by bridges - when the invaders come, the bridges retreact, and they get attacked by dwarves, crocodiles, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 148