Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443551 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1680 on: October 19, 2019, 09:31:40 am »

Hm, I'm now imaging a defensive hallway where the sides are covered by bridges - when the invaders come, the bridges retreact, and they get attacked by dwarves, crocodiles, etc.

Reminds me of that Phobos Anomaly level from the Doom Roguelike.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 19, 2019, 02:52:53 pm »

Well, it's not all bad - tall walls still prevent invaders from waltzing into your living grounds, especially if they are made unclimbable. It's just that marksdwaves cover less ground when positioned up high (because max shooting angle is 45 degrees), siege engines are hard to place, and invaders don't suffer as much as they could. Building up is not optimal, but neither it is useless - imo, it's definitely more aesthetic.

Dry moats work quite well at least in stone.  Enemies won't climb into the moat if they don't think they can get anywhere useful, which keeps them away from the foot of the tower and out of the blind spot while still providing an aesthetically pleasing and historical look.  You may need to make the moat quite deep to get two Z levels of smoothable stone at the bottom to make climbing next to the fortifications impossible. 

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 19, 2019, 05:01:41 pm »

Yeah, the blind-spot-preventing moat works quite well. As I said, it's not that high ground is all bad - it's that the low ground is more effective defense overall. Particularly when you don't want any straggling invaders at the bottom of a moat they can't get out of, or are worried of your military charging into directions not intended for them (still risky, but not as risky).
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 19, 2019, 05:58:18 pm »

Apparently Night Creatures can be scholarly visitors?

I had a "Bridegroom of Bellowing Hag Chemist" visit. Everyone was perfectly fine with them hanging about in the library until they decided to violently dismember the neighboring mathematician.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 19, 2019, 10:15:36 pm »

Bridegroom? Was it an abducted mate?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 19, 2019, 10:55:03 pm »

What does their legends history say?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: October 21, 2019, 12:55:21 pm »

Bridegroom would be an abducted mate, yes.

I don't have the info anymore to look into their history, not sure why I didn't do that immediately. Let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Can't find it. I had already save scummed since I'm trying to do something specific with this fort rather than just play it, so I can't just check my fort page in legends viewer since the event technically never happened. No chemists show as historical figures either.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:17:09 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 21, 2019, 01:47:53 pm »

Did you check all Bridgegrooms? Could be that they're already traveling the world and just haven't become Chemist in current timeline.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: October 21, 2019, 07:53:16 pm »

I looked for a while and then gave up ;-;

BUT THEN I GOT ANOTHER.

This time I took pictures and have the name handy. Gonna do some lookin' into it presently.

UPDATES:

Holy geez, this is the former ruler of the human civilization.

He appears to have only ruled for a year before his now-wife abducted him during a rampage. He's been writing technical manuals ever since. His only human daughter became an adventurer and was killed by a troll.

While I would have preferred to capture him, the visiting dwarf caravan tore him apart with little trouble on-sight. None of this tolerance bullshit from the mountainhome, it seems. The merchants themselves helpfully dropped troves of leather and parchment sheets that I had asked for before booking it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:14:02 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: October 22, 2019, 12:08:34 am »

I would say report bug, but I'm not exactly sure it is a bug.

I mean, makes sense that the abductee would sneak out to do this or that while the night creature is away. Makes sense that upon discovering that the dwarf is birthing night creatures other dwarves turn on them.

In a time before time, I had a name.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1690 on: October 22, 2019, 12:52:18 am »

Well, thing is, the species name indicates he's been converted, ergo he's a night troll himself now too. Given the night troll descriptions and their size, I wouldn't be surprised that the caravan guards would go "holy shit, what the fuck is that, kill it", even if the guy actually wasn't hostile.

But yeah I'd say its a bug, converted spouses are as hostile as the "base" night trolls, so I'm guessing story-wise their minds are gone as well and they shouldn't be writing stuff, much less visiting civilized sites. Maybe with future updates it could change (would be neat to see a converted night troll trying to recover their normal body) but for now definitely a bug.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 22, 2019, 02:33:56 am »

Maybe it is a bug of Toady, but it is a feature to me, and I'm curious how to make it happen (and make a script that makes it happen in worldgen if need be; ditto for ...Oh I just got an idea of manually adding groups to necromancers as well as looking at the one lone case where a necromancer did leave their tower, over 1900 years in.). It's probably not something to do with the kidnapper's values (due different one being here), and I haven't seen it before (though have seen rulers be kidnapped before fairly often - I'd guess because they're always historical and night troll wants someone like that.).

Any mods; game version?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 22, 2019, 05:46:04 pm »

I just found out that the bug causing a loyalty cascade when having the militia put down a berzerk citizen is still not completely fixed.

It also looks like I just managed to stop the loyalty cascade by isolating the combatants from each other until their "battle mode" (feeling X while in conflict etc.) subsided. As far as I can tell there are no permanent changes in allegiance, and the former enemies are now happily sparring together. There were no casualties, although one marksdwarf lost a foot.

EDIT: Scratch that, after few days the dwarves involved suddenly renewed their hostilities, resulting in the death of the original separatist. Ah well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:52:56 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: October 22, 2019, 10:03:12 pm »

Hm, I'm now imaging a defensive hallway where the sides are covered by bridges - when the invaders come, the bridges retreact, and they get attacked by dwarves, crocodiles, etc.

Reminds me of that Phobos Anomaly level from the Doom Roguelike.

I've always wanted to make a fort with that as a defense mechanism. Specifically using GCS, or, if i felt truly cruel, megas and semimegas that get trapped in cages after the fights said and done.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: October 23, 2019, 12:56:09 pm »

Maybe it is a bug of Toady, but it is a feature to me, and I'm curious how to make it happen (and make a script that makes it happen in worldgen if need be; ditto for ...Oh I just got an idea of manually adding groups to necromancers as well as looking at the one lone case where a necromancer did leave their tower, over 1900 years in.). It's probably not something to do with the kidnapper's values (due different one being here), and I haven't seen it before (though have seen rulers be kidnapped before fairly often - I'd guess because they're always historical and night troll wants someone like that.).

Any mods; game version?

No mods, version 44.12.

Yeah I mean it feels like a feature and a bug, in that they could totally write books, being sentient, but also shouldn't be peacefully visiting before the AI realizes they are utterly hostile and making them attack.

Anyway this is a 600 year old small world with increased volcanic activity and some other terrain modifiers changed to make for more high cliffs. It has way, way more cursed/night creatures than any other world I've played. I've had 4 were-beast attacks and two visiting night trolls in a 2 year period. I've been supremely lucky that the caravans were here for all but the first one. A few nearby miners happened to be close enough to dispatch that one.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 148