Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443211 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1740 on: February 15, 2020, 08:51:18 pm »

Found an interesting POI while looking at Silentthunders: https://mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_mapid=12467 ("Of slight note is that dwarves managed to somehow engrave one of the brass walls.")

Now, I didn't manage to replicate that.

But I managed to replicate something that may be better, sometimes:

||

So, turns out, if you build a constructed wall, and then mark it for fortification carving and removal, the fortification carving is kept on hold even after the wall is removed.

If you then fulfil that designation on sand - it remains sand floor.

But fulfil that on conglomerate - and it becomes conglomerate fortification.

Dig that out, and you can get a conglomerate boulder.

This means a source of flux on embarks where there's just flux boulders on surface, and an alternative to obsidian for mass stone duplication.

Unfortunately, only works for layer stone. No ady duping or natural soil clay fortifications for trees.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 15, 2020, 11:52:14 pm »

I suppose it doesn't work on ores, since they just leave layer floors behind now. Does it work on raw candy, though? What about slade or SMR floors?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:00:35 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 16, 2020, 12:05:35 am »

It doesn't work on raw candy, first thing I tested.

Also doesn't work on branches.

Slade I would guess to work, but probe reveals that the layer material there is diorite, not slade. Testing confirms that diorite fortification is carved indeed, as diorite cavern floor is left behind after deconstructing the wall on slade floor.

SMR ditto diorite, but results in furrowed peat, which behaves like other soils (no fortification).

However, I discovered something it does work on:

||

Implied walltops. This results in implied fortification (with no floor above it).

E: Oh yeah, this means you can convert dug stone downstairs to updown stairs or floors without spending a resource for it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:40:28 am by Fleeting Frames »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 16, 2020, 09:58:55 am »

Apparently human caravans send trade representatives now. I've got a "high treasurer" that came with the human caravan.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 16, 2020, 11:17:42 am »

Turns out your starting dwarves and other npcs dont have to worship only dwarven gods. My miners worship human gods. And a goblin monster slayer worships the Dwarven God of Crafts
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 16, 2020, 11:40:32 am »

After much experimentation and many worlds generated, I have observed that the amount of "evil" (i.e. necromancers, goblins) in a world is directly inverse to the number of elves remaining. Elves don't die of old age. They don't scheme. They don't become necromancers. They always join alliances against goblins and necromancers. And they never break open the HFS and release new monsters into the world.

Worldgen doesn't take wooden weapons into account. Elves always have big, powerful war beasts to bring along. I never thought I would see elves become the good guys.

Furthermore, humans, dwarves, and elves are always at peace. With the new alliance mechanic, I've yet to see a war between any of three good races that was more than a spat between two site governments. There's simply too much evil in the world for the good guys to be wasting time fighting each other.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 18, 2020, 04:04:59 pm »

Dunno if this is known--it wasn't in the wiki--but in two forts now, one, but not all, of my animal trainers named and adopted every dog he trained for war, even though they were not available for adoption. Turns out he likes "dogs for their loyalty." Jerk ruined my entire dog farm, and it won't get better until the next generation is born and grows up.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 18, 2020, 07:40:17 pm »

I have no idea why that would be. On the other hand, it does sound like something someone would do if they get the chance.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: February 18, 2020, 07:51:34 pm »

A human citizen of mine worships 23 different gods.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 20, 2020, 10:31:33 pm »

A human citizen of mine worships 23 different gods.

I guess he's hedging his bets.
Pascal's Wager strikes again.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 21, 2020, 01:37:58 am »

An interrogator can interview somebody that corrupted them. However, no crime report is generated, nor is the organization added to the counterintelligence screen.

How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 21, 2020, 09:41:59 pm »

Trees are really shady. I dug a large channel and built a bridge over it to grow aboveground crops safely. One of the farm plots I built was reporting that I could plant both underground and aboveground crops, which meant that part of it was underground. I checked, afraid I had missed a spot, but I hadn't. But one of the tiles was under a plum tree branch, and was still marked Inside - Dark - Subterranean, despite the tile above being Outside - Light - Above Ground. I cut down the tree and it became enlightened.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 22, 2020, 11:20:25 pm »

When you have dump zone and floating door adjacent next to each other, there's two different possible behaviours.

||

When the door is locked, or closed and operated by mechanisms, they place the dumped item on floor.

When the door is open or passable, they dump the item in the door tile. The door is not marked as Open, and pressurized water will not escape the door.

(Bit of (magma) mist can escape from the door, however)

When what you dumped was bituminous coal, it can catch the door above it on fire, as it heats it up to 11296°U (720°C):

||

(Making the dump inaccesible until door has burned away)

Allso, I found that retracting bridges can't fling items upwards through floating but unopened doors (so if you want to use one to retrive items, link the door to a lever before you deconstruct the floor under it).

I guess this is useful to know if you have 1z of air between magma and dump, but can't use a diagonal to prevent magma mist from escaping (or just want the dumper to have a chance to admire the door). Pretty trivial compared to previous finding.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:31:25 pm by Fleeting Frames »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 23, 2020, 11:28:47 pm »

Someone must have discovered this already, but if a dwarf falls in an open caldera that goes down to the magma sea, even if he's already dead, you may discover the magma sea at some point afterwards, apparently even if the body no longer exists.  I also found the adamantine this way.  I'm not sure if actually catapulting the dwarf in there on purpose is the reason or why that would make a difference (I was increasing the net happiness of the fort by removing a member with negative happiness who refused to be expelled because of the family bug).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 24, 2020, 05:04:40 am »

Someone must have discovered this already, but if a dwarf falls in an open caldera that goes down to the magma sea, even if he's already dead, you may discover the magma sea at some point afterwards, apparently even if the body no longer exists.  I also found the adamantine this way.  I'm not sure if actually catapulting the dwarf in there on purpose is the reason or why that would make a difference (I was increasing the net happiness of the fort by removing a member with negative happiness who refused to be expelled because of the family bug).

Pitting a animal like a cat would also work, if not just to possibly get rid of excess population, if it survives you wont be able to pasture it up again.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 148