Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443426 times)

LilyInTheWater

• Bay Watcher
  • Me want bite. Me want plant corn dog delight.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1935 on: January 09, 2021, 02:34:10 am »

Not quite sure how trivial it is but it turns out the game actually checks to see if a creature is amphibious or not when placing a creature's civ in an ocean biome--I discovered this when I made a generic animal people civ and added axolotl people to the list of possible creatures (along with adder men, hamster men, kea men, olm men, kakapo men, loon men, hare men, and jumping spider men because I like those animals) and set the biomes to these parameters.

[SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ALL_MAIN:1]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:NOT_FREEZING:2]
   [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_FOREST:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ALL_MAIN:2]

Ran a worldgen test and found something very interesting.
I found Axolotl tree cities popping up all over the ocean. (I've seen olm men civs pop up too in the ocean, but less so than axolotl men) I like to picture them having kelp forest cities in these case. No other animals had cities in ocean biomes, only on land biomes.

Fleeting Frames suggested to me that I test this by setting only ocean biomes to human civs. I did this. The game kept rejecting worlds at the civ placement stage over and over because it couldn't place humans in a suitable area. The game just up and told me it couldn't make worlds.

Though, bizarrely, I've seen Kea people with cities in the ocean in one worldgen instance. I assume this is a worldgen bug that happens when two civs go to war and the kea people happened to take over this specific city, but I'll have to do some more investigating in this matter.
Whatchu gonna do when I'm fucking small
Like one inch tall
You won't see me coming at all

He or They pronouns

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: January 27, 2021, 03:33:55 pm »

Just one raiding mission revealed a whole bunch of new (to me at least) stuff:

1. Important religious figures from the player civilization can migrate to other civilizations, presumably to do some kind of missionary work.
2. During wartime, these holy people will not only coexist peacefully with hostile civilization members but will also take part in defence when the site is attacked.
3. When these people are killed during a raid, the notification is colored the same as when a squad member is killed, probably because they are still members of the player civilization.
4. There are no ill effects from killing members or your own civilization during raiding missions.
5. A position in church hierarchy in these cases is hereditary; it can pass to a descendant in a player fortress.
6. This heredity is instantaneous and will ignore any religious affiliations; for instance a total atheist who doesn't belong to any church can inherit the position of "the abbot of The Bronze Communion" the exact moment her mother dies during a raid in a faraway forest retreat.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: February 09, 2021, 06:18:00 am »

In 47.05dry, there was a change to stockpile logic... Dwarfs will now take items out of stockpile containers to place them on a stockpile. This means that a binned/barrelled stockpile can feed a non-container stockpile.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:15:24 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: February 13, 2021, 07:19:30 pm »

In 47.05dry, there was a change to stockpile logic... Dwarfs will now take items out of stockpile containers to place them on a stockpile. This means that a binned/barrelled stockpile can feed a non-container stockpile.

Been unable to clarify this, i've set up a single bin over a non-bin goblet finished good stockpile, and they wont transfer the mugs out of the bin they were put in but perpetually set the bin to being in the process of a job. All Dwarves on no-job, peeps can access the bin and retrieve the mugs when they want to drink.

I guess it must be so low on the priority list, dwarves wont actually stop talking in the meeting zone to go do it between having their nice intellectual discussions with each other like big-brained folks. (saying that i wonder what unintellectual goblins speak about)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: February 18, 2021, 06:16:08 pm »

I was wrong about it. I had watched about 6 dwarfs haul about 30 individual plants from the barrelled stockpile to the non-barrelled stockpile, and didn't test it further before posting. I tested since then and it did not change. Probably they were grabbing individual plants from a herbalist's dump.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: February 21, 2021, 05:10:04 pm »

Seems knocked-away hfs shell isn't valid option for decorate with shell job :<

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 01, 2021, 08:11:13 am »

Crossbow squads really do go reload their crossbows when they run out of bolts.

I've long been a supporter of the opinion that crossbow dorfs aren't quite as broken as their reputation. Lock them in a bunker and they do their job well of softening up the enemy horde as it approaches. However I've doubted their ability to actually reload mid-battle. No longer. As hundreds of steel clad dorfs rush slowly towards my gates, my crossbow guys have used up all their bolts on them and wandered off to get more. Now they're back and ready for more pew pew. (Dwarf horde has run away already, having met my militia on the other side of Weapon-Trap Gully).

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 01, 2021, 10:23:38 am »

Do you have to lock them in their bunker?  Or is a "defend burrows" order required to make marksdwarves stay put?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: March 01, 2021, 04:42:13 pm »

Do you have to lock them in their bunker?  Or is a "defend burrows" order required to make marksdwarves stay put?
They're not locked in, there's a ladder down and passage to their barracks and the bolt pile. If they were determined they could work out a path to the fortress entrance where the bad guys are, but they don't. They reload, then come on back to the bunker.

If there's a hole in the bunker wall, they'll still charge the enemy and try to batter it with their crossbows though, yes. That still happens as far as I know.

Funny, because hunters are able to hang back, shoot, run away to reload and even go butcher their kills. Much nicer AI.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: March 02, 2021, 07:26:03 am »

Oh, two in a row sorry.

Bards can become attached to their instruments. Scholars can become attached to their scrolls. Happened one after the other and the first time I ever noticed either!

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 02, 2021, 12:51:38 pm »

Seems knocked-away hfs shell isn't valid option for decorate with shell job :<

Would this be because it's technically a corpse fragment instead of a butchered, prepared material, or because it came from a sapient being? Sounds like experiments are required.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 03, 2021, 07:00:23 am »

Got a shell from a water blob FB. Was storing it near my craftdwarf's workshop in case of strange mood, but at some point it seems it remembered it was composed out of water and turned into a puddle. Now I'm wondering what would've happened if I'd made it into an item.

I'll take a look through my backups later to see if there's one where the shell still existed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:02:25 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tsov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 03, 2021, 07:23:43 am »

Been going through a number of pages on this thread and added what I could find to the wiki when relevant. It would be nice if everyone who posted in this thread did the same and posted whatever they found to the wiki in addition to posting it here.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:12:50 am by Tsov »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: March 03, 2021, 09:28:13 am »

Been going through a number of pages on this thread and added what I could find to the wiki when relevant. It would be nice if everyone who posted in this thread did the same and posted whatever they found to the wiki in addition to posting it here.
It would be, but you won't get many more posts here if that becomes a requirement. Right now this is a fun thread where anyone can just type out a quick Oh wow, that's a thing! message as they play (regardless of how many times it's been posted before). As opposed to stopping play to search the wiki to see if the information is there already, and then adding a new entry, which is considerably more time consuming.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:30:22 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Tsov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: March 03, 2021, 09:36:13 am »

It's not a requirement, it's just something nice to do. It's basically taking the effort to make your findings known so new people don't rediscover the same thing over and over again. It doesn't take much time to edit the wiki, either. In fact, I bet that the time spent to post on the forum and reply to posts is equivalent to the time needed to edit the wiki.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 148