Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443219 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2070 on: October 05, 2021, 08:06:51 am »

Guess I'll report it on the bug tracker.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: October 05, 2021, 02:45:15 pm »

I've learned that some of necromancers (or their soldiers, can't really differentiate them) can die of old age, despite having immortality (NO_AGING token). I also learned that some experiments do feel pain, and can lose consciousness due to it, when fighting wild animals for example and having their bones broken.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: October 05, 2021, 02:48:16 pm »

Dwarves whose highest weapon skill is Marksdwarf will have their opponents listed as "shot and killed" during a raid, despite belonging to a melee squad and having only melee equipment.

EDIT: ...and when their melee weapon skill after some training surpasses their Marksdwarf skill, that kill notification changes into "struck down" on subsequent raids.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:12:39 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2073 on: October 05, 2021, 04:22:54 pm »

Dwarves whose highest weapon skill is Marksdwarf will have their opponents listed as "shot and killed" during a raid, despite belonging to a melee squad and having only melee equipment.

One would fancy to imagine they threw their melee weapons, like the spear Gungnir and the hammer Mjölnir.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: October 05, 2021, 10:27:25 pm »

Deler, take the shot!

What? I have a sword...

I said...Take. The. Shot.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: October 08, 2021, 02:45:14 am »

Unhappy dwarves can also relieve their stress by "discussing their problems with a friend." This appears to work exactly like yelling at a noble; the stressed dwarf gets a satisfied thought, while the friend feels empathy.

EDIT: Decided to do an experiment.

After locking the stressed dwarf into a small room together with her friend, this discussion happened about once every two days. The friend gained related social skills each time, mainly Pacifier. Unfortunately these discussions weren't enough to relieve stress faster than it was gained.

EDIT2: Of course, after some time the stressed dwarf and her friend became lovers, and these discussions were then labeled as "discussing their problems with a lover." Being lovers did not change the frequency or effectiveness of the discussions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:11:03 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: October 08, 2021, 03:05:41 am »

Watched a necromancer siege get partially covered with a thralling dust. There were regular undead, necromancer experiments "sunless butcher", but the necro was still sneaking. What I saw was the sunless butchers were turned into thralls with "Opposed to Life" allegiance, previously "Invader", but all immediately fled the map. The undead became husks, e.g. Human Lasher Corpse -> Human Lasher heinous ash husk Corpse, but still with Undead as their allegiance. Don't know if the necro was caught.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: October 08, 2021, 08:28:29 am »

If you have no iron on your map, and your civilization apparently has no access to iron ores, steel anvils may be your only source of steel and are, so far as I can tell, the cheapest thing to purchase made of steel.  I suppose there's goblinite, but the only "vile force of darkness" I've had are those "invasions" where a couple of the horde show up on the very edge of the map and immediately disappear again, presumably because they're actually on their way somewhere else.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: October 08, 2021, 10:06:52 am »

If you have no iron on your map, and your civilization apparently has no access to iron ores, steel anvils may be your only source of steel and are, so far as I can tell, the cheapest thing to purchase made of steel.  I suppose there's goblinite, but the only "vile force of darkness" I've had are those "invasions" where a couple of the horde show up on the very edge of the map and immediately disappear again, presumably because they're actually on their way somewhere else.

I wonder if you had some nobles stationed right at that same map edge when they arrived, if they would be enticed to deliver their goblinite rather than wander off?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: October 08, 2021, 01:08:28 pm »

EDIT: Decided to do an experiment.

After locking the stressed dwarf into a small room together with her friend, this discussion happened about once every two days. The friend gained related social skills each time, mainly Pacifier. Unfortunately these discussions weren't enough to relieve stress faster than it was gained.

EDIT2: Of course, after some time the stressed dwarf and her friend became lovers, and these discussions were then labeled as "discussing their problems with a lover." Being lovers did not change the frequency or effectiveness of the discussions.

Maybe they were platonic lovers... Or sex is not implemented yet. You would think that it should relieve stress more than just some babbling.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: October 08, 2021, 03:45:44 pm »

Maybe they were platonic lovers... Or sex is not implemented yet. You would think that it should relieve stress more than just some babbling.
If they did something more than discussing, DF didn't log it.

Of course, it still hasn't been proven that dwarves actually have sex, despite the existence of [UNKNOWN_SUBSTANCE] in the game. Dwarves might as well conceive via spouses highfiving each other as they pass in a crowded corridor.

That being said, the couple in question did end up marrying each other soon after (changing the line to "discussing her problems with a spouse"), so I hope we'll know for certain in about nine months.

Uhhh... welcome?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: October 08, 2021, 04:40:05 pm »

If they've married, they're almost certainly going to have kids. But yeah, getting pregnant amounts to standing adjacent to a compatible non-gelded male if they're unintelligent or standing adjacent to and being married to a compatible non-gelded male if they're intelligent.

Interestingly in weird results I've had with turning animals intelligent: an intelligent female can become pregnant with the child of an unintelligent male, and an intelligent male can impregnate unintelligent females. But two compatible mates that have both become intelligent must marry before having children, and I have never witnessed any TAME creatures marry, despite being intelligent, no matter how long they're locked up together (like pastured by a door and forgotten for years.) However, dwarves can and do form relationships with pets-made-intelligent, so presumably the pets also form relationships with dwarves, and each other. There's so.ething in there about being flagged as [TAME] that's preventing them from forming romantic relationships, or at least preventing them from getting married.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: October 08, 2021, 05:20:41 pm »

Interestingly in weird results I've had with turning animals intelligent: an intelligent female can become pregnant with the child of an unintelligent male, and an intelligent male can impregnate unintelligent females. But two compatible mates that have both become intelligent must marry before having children, and I have never witnessed any TAME creatures marry, despite being intelligent, no matter how long they're locked up together (like pastured by a door and forgotten for years.) However, dwarves can and do form relationships with pets-made-intelligent, so presumably the pets also form relationships with dwarves, and each other. There's so.ething in there about being flagged as [TAME] that's preventing them from forming romantic relationships, or at least preventing them from getting married.

Oh very interesting, this is helpful to my modding as i've been relying on [ORIENTATION:] and semi-intelligent - unintelligent animal propogators, but knowing it wont affect their ability to make relationships and instead they'll just "spore" surrounding members of their race simplifies it considerably.

Pets forming sentient relationships is part of a continual tirade of bug squashing however being made by Toady, as parts of the tavern arc were blighted by ducks shouting fortress secrets out loud, grudging dogs and gregarious peacocks. All animals are capable of having a compatability score with their masters theoretically because essentially they overlay the civilized ideals of the people who "own" them and have manipulatable personalities. (if you dive into GUI editor particularly)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:22:31 pm by FantasticDorf »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: October 08, 2021, 09:33:04 pm »

If they've married, they're almost certainly going to have kids. But yeah, getting pregnant amounts to standing adjacent to a compatible non-gelded male if they're unintelligent or standing adjacent to and being married to a compatible non-gelded male if they're intelligent.

Have you tried adding [CAN_SPEAK] to your intelligent tame animals? Talking is probably required to form a relationship.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: October 09, 2021, 05:01:34 am »

ducks shouting fortress secrets out loud

Always wondered how all these visitors had heard about the library I built, since I only started building it after the last caravan of autumn left, and the visitors started arriving before the spring caravans...

It was the ducks. I should have known.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 148