Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443710 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2100 on: October 15, 2021, 08:25:39 pm »

Unicode 6.0 emojis are compatible with notepad .txt files, so you can use a bunch of additional emoji lettering for DF and commented out notes theoretically.

🔎 for example could be very useful for visually enhancing descriptions.

😱

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: October 16, 2021, 02:56:08 am »

You're telling me I could send a baby raiding for his birthday every year and end up with a 30-year-old baby?
I'd be just like the movie The Baby.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: October 16, 2021, 01:56:37 pm »

The hamlet north of my fortress has decided to link economically just after being conquered, first one (and I already have a City size fortress, with more than 140 citizens, so about time). What I find strange is that the hamlet was conquered by the same goblin civ which is at war with me, previously it was owned by the allied humans.

So although linked, the hamlet is also at war. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised, after finding that two of the towers regularly sending besiegers to me are also formally at "peace" (and to other towers "at war" do not send anyone). Peace and war doesn't seem to mean much in DF, business is business.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: October 16, 2021, 04:51:51 pm »

You're telling me I could send a baby raiding for his birthday every year and end up with a 30-year-old baby?
I'd be just like the movie The Baby.

I was thinking more like Boh the baby, in Spirited Away.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: October 16, 2021, 06:01:15 pm »

I made a little fort immediately next to a necro tower. No undead sent in two years. So I made a peasant adventurer, found a book, became a necromancer. Interestingly, all of the forts residents were walking around the necro tower too.

If you go into a tomb and raise the skeletons, they will no follow you. If you disturb the mummy and 20 undead are raised and start attacking you, you can retire in that location and avoid the danger.

This will not, however, prevent a single goblin from breaking your legs and murdering you in the street later...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: October 23, 2021, 07:39:00 pm »

Don’t know where to put this, but…

Assuming my calculations are correct, the total area of the largest possible DF world (including both land and water) is slightly larger than the State of Georgia in the United States of America.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: October 24, 2021, 05:25:48 pm »

Assuming my calculations are correct, the total area of the largest possible DF world (including both land and water) is slightly larger than the State of Georgia in the United States of America.

Interesting... I count 129 x 129 world tiles on the largest map, each of which has a 16 x 16 grid to choose from.  I did a 16 x 1 embark, and counted it to be 768 tiles wide.  Which (assuming no buffer zones between world tiles) gives an approximate world measurement of 99,072 tiles.  If 1 tile = 3 feet, that is 297,216 ft, or 56 miles.  So a square with 56 mile wide edges, giving a total area of about 3,169 square miles.  That's about 20 times smaller than GA, so my assumptions are probably inaccurate.  I chose 1 tile equal to 3 ft because that's about the standard width of a door, and doors take up an entire tile. 

I suppose 1 tile could be 10 ft rather than 3, since a lot can fit in there.  That would produce an edge length of 187 miles, and an area of 35,207 sq miles.  A buffer zone between each of the 129 world tiles of 2,360 ft (or 236 regular tiles) would make up for the 20,000 sq mile shortage in area.  Assuming no buffer zone, a 13 foot wide tile (as the Dwarf stands on it) would give a total large map area of 59,500 sq miles.

Are you using the 1-tile is approximately x size method, or some kind of astronomical method?  I'd be curious to see how the results compare between the 2.  Also, my tile count is based on fortress mode, perhaps adventure mode could produce a more accurate count and eliminate the buffer zone uncertainty.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: October 24, 2021, 08:08:34 pm »

Interesting... I count 129 x 129 world tiles on the largest map, each of which has a 16 x 16 grid to choose from.  I did a 16 x 1 embark, and counted it to be 768 tiles wide.  Which (assuming no buffer zones between world tiles) gives an approximate world measurement of 99,072 tiles.  If 1 tile = 3 feet, that is 297,216 ft, or 56 miles.  So a square with 56 mile wide edges, giving a total area of about 3,169 square miles.  That's about 20 times smaller than GA, so my assumptions are probably inaccurate.  I chose 1 tile equal to 3 ft because that's about the standard width of a door, and doors take up an entire tile. 

I suppose 1 tile could be 10 ft rather than 3, since a lot can fit in there.  That would produce an edge length of 187 miles, and an area of 35,207 sq miles.  A buffer zone between each of the 129 world tiles of 2,360 ft (or 236 regular tiles) would make up for the 20,000 sq mile shortage in area.  Assuming no buffer zone, a 13 foot wide tile (as the Dwarf stands on it) would give a total large map area of 59,500 sq miles.

Are you using the 1-tile is approximately x size method, or some kind of astronomical method?  I'd be curious to see how the results compare between the 2.  Also, my tile count is based on fortress mode, perhaps adventure mode could produce a more accurate count and eliminate the buffer zone uncertainty.

I’m using information from the wiki that states that a large region is 257x257.  129x129 would be a medium region.

I’m using the “1-tile is approximately x size” method, and assuming that 1 tile is 2m x 2m, each embark tile is 48 x 48, and each region tile is 16 x 16, and a large region is 257 x 257.  I then compared it to Wikipedia’s lists of countries and dependencies by area.

Edit: Clarification.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:15:30 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: October 25, 2021, 01:51:02 am »

Wiki also claims that one tile is about 2,4m x 2,4m (8ft x 8ft), so the maximum area would be about the size of the United Kingdom.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: October 25, 2021, 02:32:15 am »

If you were a necromancer, died, were resurrected as an intelligent undead (pale zombie), then read a different slab from the first one you read, You'll retain the powers of all 3 steps. (First slab's raise undead and intelligent undead, pale zombie's power [dizziness in this case], and the second slab's raise undead and intelligent undead.)

You'll also be considered a necromancer in Legends mode (rather than pale zombie) but this is reasonable as it is just reading the most recent change.

Now...to kill this guy and raise him as a Death One from the second slab... There's a third slab out there somewhere...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: October 26, 2021, 04:22:36 pm »

Wiki also claims that one tile is about 2,4m x 2,4m (8ft x 8ft), so the maximum area would be about the size of the United Kingdom.

Toady claims that tiles are 2m x 2m.  It all depends on who want to believe.

Now to figure out what tile size would be required so as that a DF large region would have the same surface area as the earth…

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: October 26, 2021, 04:53:23 pm »

I’m using information from the wiki that states that a large region is 257x257.  129x129 would be a medium region.

I’m using the “1-tile is approximately x size” method, and assuming that 1 tile is 2m x 2m, each embark tile is 48 x 48, and each region tile is 16 x 16, and a large region is 257 x 257.  I

That makes sense, I was using the wrong world size.  Given 1 tile is 2m x 2m, the large 257 x 257 region would be about 300 miles on each side.  That's about 1.5 times the state of Georgia!  I suppose I should be more patient with how long world generation takes for large regions.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: October 26, 2021, 05:56:56 pm »

I’m using the “1-tile is approximately x size” method, and assuming that 1 tile is 2m x 2m, each embark tile is 48 x 48, and each region tile is 16 x 16, and a large region is 257 x 257.  I

That makes sense, I was using the wrong world size.  Given 1 tile is 2m x 2m, the large 257 x 257 region would be about 300 miles on each side.  That's about 1.5 times the state of Georgia!  I suppose I should be more patient with how long world generation takes for large regions.

It doesn’t take that long.  I generate large regions all the time.  I haven’t timed one, but it feels like they only take about five minutes.  In contrast, the first search using Embark Assistant seems to take four times as long…

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 06, 2021, 06:52:40 pm »

A tanner with a strange mood can make an artifact leather shield. 

In 1 of my forts, Dosmèrith 'Wisdomlabor', one of the new cooks, had a strange mood and created Tostostath ísterzan, "Visesteems the Undignified Artifact", a hair leather kite shield {I added a new type of shield to the raws}.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with round mica cabochons and encircled with bands of oval citrine cabochons, pig iron and persimmon wood.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of hare leather and cave spider silk and menaces with spikes of bituminous coal and cobaltite.  On the item is an image of The Faint Clearings the sand Bag (alpaca leather) in goat leather.

Makes me wonder if a jeweler can wind up having a strange mood and make a lapis lazuli shield.  Or even a gem sword, that would be really cool too.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 06, 2021, 11:50:39 pm »

its possible, i guess. I got an artifact gemstone barrel out of a jeweler once. Among other things like buckets and querns.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 148