Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442481 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2115 on: November 07, 2021, 03:33:32 am »

Makes me wonder if a jeweler can wind up having a strange mood and make a lapis lazuli shield.  Or even a gem sword, that would be really cool too.

Yes, if the jeweler has a preference for an item type, they will always make (either a large gem, or) that kind of item in their strange mood.  I recently got a gem flask in Friendlytreason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: November 09, 2021, 09:33:42 am »

Nope. The list of things a Jeweler can make is limited - only raw-definable options being toys and instruments.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: November 09, 2021, 07:34:35 pm »

Toys, instruments and large gems. My favourite large gem so far being "the failed cat", a large yellow gem which evidently was intended to be a figurine or a toy, and then didn't work out....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: November 10, 2021, 04:50:36 pm »

Nope. The list of things a Jeweler can make is limited - only raw-definable options being toys and instruments.

Outside of artifact creation, they're definitely quite restricted in what jewelers can make.  The wiki lists quite a few more things that jewelers can make as artifacts, but unfortunately it does not include weapons or armor.  A bummer, but at least half of the options are actually useful.
Quote from: wiki
Perfect gem‡, door, bed, chair, table, statue, box, armor stand, weapon rack, cabinet, coffin, floodgate, hatch cover, grate, figurine, amulet, scepter, crown, ring, earring, bracelet, chain, flask, goblet, cage, barrel, bucket, animal trap, window, instrument, toy

On a related note, it turns out leather shields are regularly available from the leather works, regardless of artifacts or not...

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: November 10, 2021, 09:02:40 pm »

You missed this bit
only raw-definable options
which corresponds to
{I added a new type of shield to the raws}

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 10, 2021, 09:31:54 pm »

You missed this bit
only raw-definable options
which corresponds to
{I added a new type of shield to the raws}

I'm not sure I understand, do you mean that it's possible to add shields / other items to the raws in such a way that artifact gem shields could be created from a strange mood?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 10, 2021, 10:01:43 pm »

Nope (unless you count toys and instruments   :P).  The point being that the artifact list on the wiki does not provide information about raw-definable possibilities which was the additional and conclusive thing fleeting frames had to say.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 13, 2021, 11:39:59 pm »

Nope (unless you count toys and instruments   :P).  The point being that the artifact list on the wiki does not provide information about raw-definable possibilities which was the additional and conclusive thing fleeting frames had to say.
Oh, that makes sense then.

In other discoveries, assigning trolls to a pit that is not directly adjacent to their cage in the stockpile appears to be impossible.  I'm currently at 10 out of 10 escaping and having to be put down by the guards...  A few more to go on this test, maybe 1 will make it to the pit?

edit: I saw a couple trolls get dragged to the pit, but I think they're climbing back out.  I'm not sure yet what's going on tbh.  I saw the last of the trolls get sent into the pit, and then disappear.  Either it climbed out, or the guards stabbed it from the z-level above.  Well, either way, the animal cage stockpile is empty now, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much (there were no casualties).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 11:47:44 pm by Schmaven »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 14, 2021, 02:05:59 am »

In other discoveries, assigning trolls to a pit that is not directly adjacent to their cage in the stockpile appears to be impossible.  I'm currently at 10 out of 10 escaping and having to be put down by the guards...  A few more to go on this test, maybe 1 will make it to the pit?

edit: I saw a couple trolls get dragged to the pit, but I think they're climbing back out.  I'm not sure yet what's going on tbh.  I saw the last of the trolls get sent into the pit, and then disappear.  Either it climbed out, or the guards stabbed it from the z-level above.  Well, either way, the animal cage stockpile is empty now, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much (there were no casualties).

The trolls were presumably casualties. Note: Trolls can climb. Seen the bastards climb up into an open window cavity I had high on a natural cliff wall. They don't climb as well as goblins though.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: November 17, 2021, 04:36:54 am »

The trolls were presumably casualties. Note: Trolls can climb. Seen the bastards climb up into an open window cavity I had high on a natural cliff wall. They don't climb as well as goblins though.

Trolls ARE strong enough to hang off the cavern ceiling to move around as the most absolutely difficult climbing position in the game, for as long as their endurance and exhaustion can hold out. I've even had them path into a unforbidden cavern ceiling hatch this way now in order to topple a statue.

Just do a krugg and imagine them as big apes, and it makes the habit somehow form more sense to their capabilities.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: December 18, 2021, 02:55:16 pm »

If you have DFHack, while selecting goods to trade, you can search "x" to filter by worn items.  It picks up both x and X, though also anything made of ibex leather, so you still have to be cautious.  But it's certainly much less scrolling than I was doing before!

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 19, 2021, 09:16:04 pm »

Excellent story. Troll, the poem critic with integrity!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 29, 2021, 04:37:19 am »

I once had a drain to get rid of the water from a waterfall (fed by a brook on the surface) going all the way down to the first cavern layer.  It had a grate on top of it.  So there was a constant waterfall down about 50 z layers.  I had a troll swim up the entire thing and smash open the grate.  I didn't know they can do that if they could access the top.  The troll was in pretty bad shape with a page long list of minor injuries when he got to the top but it was impressive.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: January 02, 2022, 02:13:29 pm »

I once had a drain to get rid of the water from a waterfall (fed by a brook on the surface) going all the way down to the first cavern layer.  It had a grate on top of it.  So there was a constant waterfall down about 50 z layers.  I had a troll swim up the entire thing and smash open the grate.  I didn't know they can do that if they could access the top.  The troll was in pretty bad shape with a page long list of minor injuries when he got to the top but it was impressive.

Dwarven engineering? In MY neck of the woods?! Not if I can help it!!

*queue shrek music*

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: January 10, 2022, 08:37:31 am »

Never seen this sort of message at embark:

I guess it's because I'm really close to a Necro tower?
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 148