Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443088 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2145 on: January 30, 2022, 06:03:03 pm »

I have a goblin citizen in my settlement.  Assigned him to armor making.  Took me a while to notice that all the armor he's produced is sized for goblins.

I was actually super impressed when I found that out. Happened when I'd gotten a legendary human armorer by chance among the bards I'd allowed in. Set him to work making some armor since he was the best for the task at the time surprisingly enough, and out popped a human-sized steel breastplate.

Decided to give him a private workshop after that to make gear for the humans in my militia.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 31, 2022, 12:01:39 am »

Don't goblins use the same size as dwarfs do?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: January 31, 2022, 09:46:24 am »

No, they use ''narrow'' stuff as armor and clothing, as DF calls them.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2148 on: January 31, 2022, 04:47:59 pm »

Could not reproduce in adventure mode.  The dwarf could wear armours spawned on goblin and elf.  The armor was named identically but described as "sized for [creature]".

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 31, 2022, 08:21:05 pm »

Damn, they haven't worn narrow clothing for over 10 years :P

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: February 02, 2022, 05:39:16 pm »

I made a dozen standard water reactors and I found that a) they leak, and b) they glitch, momentarily losing one of their waterwheels output, about once a month per reactor.  I've seen posts about leaking but not about glitching.  I think I've figured it out, but why nothing about the glitching?  Do people not notice, or care?  Or am I seeing things?

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: February 02, 2022, 10:13:22 pm »

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Water_wheel#Micro_Water_Reactor

Check out this micro water reactor. I made one the same as the one in the first graph. It's been working for years. I haven't tried multiple reactors linked together yet.

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: February 03, 2022, 12:55:34 am »

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Water_wheel#Micro_Water_Reactor

Check out this micro water reactor. I made one the same as the one in the first graph. It's been working for years. I haven't tried multiple reactors linked together yet.

Gah, I'm not a fan of minecarts.  But if this works, maybe I will be.  It sounds doable, I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the help.

EDIT:  It worked.  Practically solid state.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 10:22:15 am by Sarvok »

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: February 03, 2022, 11:01:29 pm »

Indeed. It's solid and compact! I don't worry about the FPS drain mentioned on the wiki at all. I cap my FPS at 5 already.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 01, 2022, 06:44:48 pm »

Forbidding a cage trap's mechanism will not stop dwarves from reloading it. It will, however, stop dwarves from deconstructing the trap if you order it removed. This becomes important when you've accidentally captured a forgotten beast in a cage trap and it's sitting there spewing syndrome gas all over.

Additional note: Minecarts don't stop syndrome gas any better than cages, if anybody was wondering. (Annoying that glass terrariums don't stop it, too.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 06:45:57 am by doublestrafe »

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 03, 2022, 09:34:51 am »

Forbidding a cage trap's mechanism will not stop dwarves from reloading it. It will, however, stop dwarves from deconstructing the trap if you order it removed.

It used to be that forbbiden mechanism stops dwarves reloading cage traps and cleaning jammed weapon traps. Now this doesn't work. This makes using traps very inconvenient.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 03, 2022, 11:15:00 am »

This is, I think, all known behavior, but it's not in the wiki. I wrote this up to add to the wiki but apparently nothing I do, up to and including downloading a new browser, will allow me to see the captcha and therefore be able to post this on the wiki. Would somebody mind adding this section to Milk?

Code: [Select]
==Dwarven ice cream==

Milk has a [[temperature|freezing point]] of 10000 °U, the same as [[water]]. If milk is left in conditions below this temperature, even on a tile marked [[tile attributes|inside]], it will freeze, and become "frozen ''{animal}'''s milk". Frozen milk is treated as a cookable solid {{Bug|2787}}, and may show up as an ingredient in your roasts--at 1/10th of the value of cheese, if the roasts do not just melt entirely. There is no entry for frozen milk in stockpile menus, so dwarves will not haul a frozen milk barrel to any type of stockpile. {{Bug|3398}} Attempting to dump the barrel to a [[garbage dump]] indoors carelessly may result in dwarves hauling the frozen milk and the barrel separately, resulting in a puddle of milk when it thaws. Dwarves will not make cheese out of frozen milk. For these reasons, milking industries should be set up underground, as Armok intended.

To move frozen milk to an indoor garbage dump without spilling it, do not use the [[Designations Menu]]. Instead, use {{k|k}}-{{k|d}} to mark just the barrel for dumping.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 03, 2022, 06:23:02 pm »

....So, if the milk that is thawed before it is hauled, can it then be used for cheese?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 03, 2022, 06:49:56 pm »

....So, if the milk that is thawed before it is hauled, can it then be used for cheese?
Sure, if summer rolls around, or, let's say, you pump flowing magma on the tile underneath for long enough...

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 07, 2022, 01:47:25 pm »

Today, I found out making instruments is very tedious.

I'd rather spend a fortune and a half on whatever the caravans bring to me or whatever, than to grapple with that byzantine nightmare.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 148