Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443731 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:51 am »

This one is for combined Fortress mode and Adventurer mode.

If you forbid passage (lock) a hatch in fortress mode, your adventurer will be unable to open it in adventurer mode!

I found this out the hard way and my adventurer had to improve his climbing skills from Competent to Expert before he could climb over a two z-level high block wall to get back in his own fort. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2015, 02:08:16 pm »

You can't pump water from a tile with an up/down stairway in it.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2015, 03:33:51 pm »

You can't pump water from a tile with an up/down stairway in it.

It's fine if you have an up/down stairway in the tile below the pump where the water actually comes from, just so long as the tile above it on the same level as the pump is registered as "open space." It's fine if there is a floor grate or floor bars on that tile.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2015, 07:17:32 pm »

If you accumulate 100 or so bags from trading caravans and create enough stockpiles to store them all...your FPS will take a big hit.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2015, 11:01:50 pm »

When does that happen? Do you have to embark in such a way that the wagon lands precisely on a mountain peak or something?
I'd imagine you'd see it if you tell your dwarves to deconstruct the wagon and then cancel it when it's about half-deconstructed.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2015, 11:17:25 pm »

Through modding, I've discovered that Dwarves refuse to stockpile inorganic wood logs or any object made of inorganic wood. The next thing to check up on is animal wood.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2015, 03:35:43 am »

Through modding, I've discovered that Dwarves refuse to stockpile inorganic wood logs or any object made of inorganic wood. The next thing to check up on is animal wood.
Is wagon wood considered animal wood?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2015, 07:40:20 am »

I just made a new embark and deconstructed the wagon. Got 3 (willow logs). So... organic wood, I'd say.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2015, 11:09:33 am »

I just made a new embark and deconstructed the wagon. Got 3 (willow logs). So... organic wood, I'd say.
Ah, but your embark wagon isn't a real wagon. It's just a pretend wagon. The real wagons roam the plains free and wild. When you retire a fortress, all the wagons come to visit and sit pretending to be buildings. Until you hit one, then it runs around without any animal pulling it. If you kill a real wagon you get 'wagon wood'. If you make a chair from wagon wood, you don't get a "wagon wood chair" you get a "wagon wooden throne".

Every fortress should have a wagon wooden throne, it adds class.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »

Dang, and i made all my wagon wood logs into minecarts and wheelbarrows, so they could keep on rolling.

Going by the raws, wagon wood is defined as "local_creature_mat", while wood from trees has "local_plant_mat", which i guess means wagon wood counts as animal (organic) material.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2015, 07:51:13 pm »

Going by the raws, wagon wood is defined as "local_creature_mat", while wood from trees has "local_plant_mat", which i guess means wagon wood counts as animal (organic) material.
I'm talking about wood logs associated with a particular animal. "Ent Wood", maybe.

Which is a curious situation. Wagon Wood does indeed exist in Arena Mode; you can create "Wagon Wooden Training Axes", for instance. In Fortress Mode, however, wagons dismantle into tree-based wood logs and there exists no entry for Wagon Wood in the stockpile.

I see that more research needs to be done.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2015, 08:06:22 pm »

Blood and vomit stay in mid air as if there's no gravity for them. Normally they are invisible.
When you build a tower, the walls and floors may catch them.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2015, 09:33:33 pm »

I'm talking about wood logs associated with a particular animal. "Ent Wood", maybe.

In Fortress Mode, however, wagons dismantle into tree-based wood logs

Ermm:

Quote from: ptb_ptb
Ah, but your embark wagon isn't a real wagon.

We weren't talking of the embark wagon - that's a pseudo-building made from a random tree's wood. The wagons that come with caravans are the real thing - a "creature" (i.e. animal), that is made from wood and when "killed" drops one "wagon wood" log. That's the proper name of the material. If it's not "wagon wood", you haven't gotten it from a wagon creature.

and there exists no entry for Wagon Wood in the stockpile.

Doesn't matter - the material exists and is stored in wood stockpiles if you manage to acquire any. Demolish a human caravan and you'll see.

Own trivial finding: diagonally-moving carts _can_ be sent on parabolic flight paths. In my previous attempts, they just hit the wall behind the launch ramp and stopped without going up the ramp, but now i got carts into flight on weird angles. It's not impossible, just unreasonably difficult; there _are_ some odd requirements that i haven't figured out yet, probably track layout on ramps and/or ramp position.

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2015, 01:37:11 pm »

Apparently Candy canes are considered "Deep metal" for Embark screen purposes. Learned it the hard way, as there was absolutely no other metal on the site whatsoever. The discovery led to a pretty stupid "duh" moment.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2015, 02:38:19 pm »

Not so much a finding as much as something I've noticed for a long time: river/lake/pool animals only spawn once, right when you first embark.  I've never seen otters or mink afterwards unless the elves bring them.  It feels like a bug, but considering how sadistic a game DF is, it's probably intentional.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 148