Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443781 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:15 pm »

It is possible to see magma crabs before you see magma.
My miner reached a layer of warm stone yesterday.
Then a magma crab sneaked into my fort.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2015, 02:45:39 am »

The official euphemism for testicles is "geldables".  As in "the geldables have been torn away!".

It's because gelding isn't actually tied to the testicles, IIRC. You could make a female geldable by including the [GELDABLE] tag somewhere in the body plan.
The part about there being no testicles is correct.  The part about gelding females is not.  Or at least not when I tried.

Nope, part about females is right.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2015, 04:46:51 am »

I've been doing some research, and I've come up with some findings on migrants.

Although you can get 'historical' migrants, those from fortresses, camps or even retired adventurers, the majority of migrants are newly created from thin air. For example, when I had 14 retired adventurers in a fortress and started a new fortress very near to the first, it took around EIGHTY migrants arriving before FIVE of the retired adventurers arrived.

That was in a civilization where the only fortresses were the two I created. I'm not sure if having more sites in your civilization results in a greater percentage of historical migrants.
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 11, 2015, 06:43:17 am »

I dont think the game generates migrants on-site unless it has no choice.  Your adventurers, for example, are far from standard dwarves.  You cant count them as normal civilians because they themselves were procedurally genned.

Best would be getting an almost dead civ with only a few sites and tracking pops
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2015, 06:45:40 am »

1) Corpse on a tree
2) Blast the tree using ballista = floating corpse
3) Design a floor betwen the tree and corpse
4) Remove design, corpse falls
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2015, 02:45:56 pm »

Does ballistaing a tree give wood?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2015, 08:17:51 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2015, 08:33:55 pm »

Ballistas haven't been updated since the game was 2D.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 11, 2015, 10:24:32 pm »

I dont think the game generates migrants on-site unless it has no choice.  Your adventurers, for example, are far from standard dwarves.  You cant count them as normal civilians because they themselves were procedurally genned.

Best would be getting an almost dead civ with only a few sites and tracking pops
I'm pretty sure the game regularly generates new dwarves for migrants.  There seem to be two categories of migrants.  Historical migrants, with a random selection of skills and skill levels and a smattering of social skills, and generic migrants, which I suspect are generated on the spot, which have semilogical sets of skills, usually no social skills, ad within a particular skill, all "generated"  migrants have the same skill level if they have the skill.  For instance, most dwarves that have a melee weapon skill have competent in that skill, a lesser level (plain x in dwarf therapist's glyph display mode.  Adequate, maybe?) in assorted generic combat skills, like fighter, dodger, and armor user, and no social skills.  Marksdwarves seem to be more commonly "historical", since they are usually hunters, which is a fairly common profession in worldgen, and arrive with recorded kills, more random skill levels and types, and often some social skills.  It seems to me, though I may be imagining it, that "historical" migrants make up a much much larger portion of the migrant pool in 40.x than before.  For instance, I got an adequate lasher with one recorded dwarf kill the other day.  I really want to know whathappened in that dwarf's past, I should hunt him down in legends mode, but I have never gotten a lasher or other foreign weapon skill (aside from miner, of course) from migrants in any previous version since dwarf therapist was released.  He also was only an adequate lasher.  Previously, migrant melee weapon skill was competent or nothing.  Now I'm gettig a smattering of both higher and lower weapon skills, almost always corresponding with presence of social skills and a more random distribution of other skills.  But I still get a lot of migrants (seemingly more on low dwarf population worlds, though I may be imagining it) that are generic migrants, with predictable skill levels and no social skills.

TL;DR: I'm pretty sure I've been seeing "generated" migrants in every world, even ones with lots of surviving large dwarven civilizations.  But I might be making up imaginary distinctions, I'm not quite sure...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 11, 2015, 11:27:53 pm »

Well I saw a big white O on my refuse stockpile.

At first I thought it was a Giant Olm corpse. But after months, no one went to butcher it.
Then I checked the name: Giant Olm bone [18]. So it was a bone stack.

I checked the stock menu, it was under corpses, not body parts.
It was eventually fetched by a bone carver and used to deocrate finished goods.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2015, 11:36:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure the game regularly generates new dwarves for migrants.  There seem to be two categories of migrants.  Historical migrants, with a random selection of skills and skill levels and a smattering of social skills, and generic migrants, which I suspect are generated on the spot, which have semilogical sets of skills, usually no social skills, ad within a particular skill, all "generated"  migrants have the same skill level if they have the skill.  For instance, most dwarves that have a melee weapon skill have competent in that skill, a lesser level (plain x in dwarf therapist's glyph display mode.  Adequate, maybe?) in assorted generic combat skills, like fighter, dodger, and armor user, and no social skills.  Marksdwarves seem to be more commonly "historical", since they are usually hunters, which is a fairly common profession in worldgen, and arrive with recorded kills, more random skill levels and types, and often some social skills.  It seems to me, though I may be imagining it, that "historical" migrants make up a much much larger portion of the migrant pool in 40.x than before.  For instance, I got an adequate lasher with one recorded dwarf kill the other day.  I really want to know whathappened in that dwarf's past, I should hunt him down in legends mode, but I have never gotten a lasher or other foreign weapon skill (aside from miner, of course) from migrants in any previous version since dwarf therapist was released.  He also was only an adequate lasher.  Previously, migrant melee weapon skill was competent or nothing.  Now I'm gettig a smattering of both higher and lower weapon skills, almost always corresponding with presence of social skills and a more random distribution of other skills.  But I still get a lot of migrants (seemingly more on low dwarf population worlds, though I may be imagining it) that are generic migrants, with predictable skill levels and no social skills.

TL;DR: I'm pretty sure I've been seeing "generated" migrants in every world, even ones with lots of surviving large dwarven civilizations.  But I might be making up imaginary distinctions, I'm not quite sure...

Well to me most of the dorfs can't be tracked.
I once viewed their history in Legends Viewer, but they don't have any history before my site was created.

I also tried to find my king, but there was only a message about the dorf settled in some cave. But when I created an adventurer or embarked in the cave, it was just empty.

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 13, 2015, 07:04:10 pm »

Trivial finding: Pearlash is magma safe.

(not mentioned on the wiki anywhere but immersion of pearlash bars in magma with no effect confirms that they're fine).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2015, 10:56:09 am »

On militiadwarves, student and concentration raise at the same time.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 16, 2015, 12:36:06 am »

Gem window and windows can stop water. So I can build swimming pools over floors.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 16, 2015, 07:25:27 am »

If you can engineer a situation in which your military beat up an unconscious creature for eternity (or until they go mad of sleep deprivation), you can get the following benefits:

:Armour User skill
:Discipline
:Observer
:Excellent stat gains. This is the main draw for me.
:Daycare -- burrow the kids there and let them watch. It's great for their focus and intuition. Who knows, if you have a sufficiently fight-happy child, maybe they'll join in the beating.
:Dinner at the end of it. Animals don't get the skill benefits of fighting, but they do get the stats. Camel bacon for everyone!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 148