Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443568 times)

God in the Details

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #855 on: October 25, 2016, 01:58:23 am »

PTW.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 25, 2016, 02:11:16 pm »

PTW.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm outdated on my forum lingo.  What does PTW mean?  I've seen it all over the place.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 25, 2016, 02:13:47 pm »

PTW.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm outdated on my forum lingo.  What does PTW mean?  I've seen it all over the place.

Posting to watch. Took me ages to find out too, means other stuff elsewhere but natively here it means that.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #858 on: October 25, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »

PTW.

Posting to watch. Took me ages to find out too, means other stuff elsewhere but natively here it means that.

Cos ounce you post in a thread, it shows up in a thing.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 25, 2016, 02:29:06 pm »

I am positive that it means poke the wombat.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 25, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »

PTW.

Ah, thanks.  I don't know where that shows up, but at least that makes sense of the acronym.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 25, 2016, 06:41:45 pm »

Pass the weed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 26, 2016, 05:09:18 am »

Pass the weed.

Yeeeaaah man, like uh my dwarves are like the biggest producers of hemp man. Fields of the stuff kept under strict climate conditions.

Just uh, burn some stockpiles of the plants  we dont use for masterwork clothing maaan, embroided with our hemp symbols, the timber industry is a lie run by rogue elf tycoooons.

talking of annoying habits, though dwarves typically wont strike out at each other, if any of them harbour a grudge they will be listed as 'enemies' to their targeting when in combat with brawling entry level. When anger is involved and creatures like goblins 'are lost to rage' temporarily they will strike out at the nearest person they dislike, hold a grude or have had a arguement with, friends are usually safe with each other in public places but with or without drink (which has a mixed effect of giving goblins more confidence to fight but also keeping them cheery) they'll often lethally beat the snot out of each other with weapons drawn (One of my miners got cleaved in two by the second month in a dispute).

Goblins have lots of children and familiarial relations (nieces/nephews) because they marry and never stop producing kids across the whole of world generation after getting married, when they migrate (with modifications) to your fortress often they will come in family groups, and all goblins share the same bedroom bed (because toady patchfixed that in 43.05 if my memory is correct, its intended behaviour but the scale is strange as most dwarves only have 2 children, while on average goblins have 6)

Goblins can also send migrants/caravans (caravans enabled by modding as initially goblins can't trade) at whatever distance across ocean/whatever because as soon as they put up a settlement (in my case a player fortress with my modifications) they will build a tunnel to that far away location (lets say a island) and start building dark pits, at about 5 average and perhaps a dark tower within the first three months or by at-least the winter of the second year, effectively colonising wherever you go.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 30, 2016, 03:59:33 pm »

so i was trying to be a bit cheap with my steel (as i have to get all of it from imports) so i ordered a steel chestplate to be made, then saved after my smith was about to finish it and i kept closing the game (via end process in task manager since this game dosnt allow save scumming) and then reloaded the game to try and get a diffrent quality level. i noticed that every time the quality was the same, so i then tried saving before i ordered the armor to be made, and then i was able to get different quality modifiers.
so apparently the quality is decided when a dwarf accepts the job and the green A shows up next to the job in the workshop, rather than when the task is complete.

yes, kinda cheaty, but when you got necromancers AND goblins, as well as having only copper, one needs all the help they can get

i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 30, 2016, 04:16:41 pm »

Interesting.

Sorry about the lack of iron on the site I made for you. I tried really hard for it to have everything, but until DFHack gets updated for the current version in a proper way, I cant use prospect to better narrow it down.  I got nearly everything else though.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 30, 2016, 04:52:16 pm »

Interesting.

Sorry about the lack of iron on the site I made for you. I tried really hard for it to have everything, but until DFHack gets updated for the current version in a proper way, I cant use prospect to better narrow it down.  I got nearly everything else though.

yeah i think it was just because i embarked in the wrong site, mine dosnt at all match the description you gave me.
ill try some of the other magma tubes when this fort gets boring
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 30, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »

Just FYI: I've had 42.06 worldgens gen same geography(but different history) in 43.05 at least once before, so there's that for looking for better sites.

100% Tallow roasts can rot, at least when stored in extremely cold kitchen:

Though, kinda weirdly the tallow roast (partially fish) produced before it and the cave fish roasts produced after it are both fine so far. (they'll rot eventually since not in food stockpile, though)

Also, on that note: it seems deadly cold item cleanup depends on how cold it is, actually. Barely deadly -120 is something like third as fast as proper -300 (world gen paint values near tropical line). Frankly, I'd suspect the cold caused the rot, given the meals don't take on x,X or XX values, expect some meals also remained when beer barrels broke - heck, one of the meals remained whole the whole winter in deadly cold, so it clearly isn't something that freely cuts them down.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:34:26 am by Fleeting Frames »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 31, 2016, 09:10:52 am »

Insulation actually means something now, yeti-fur clothes will stop you freezing to death around Ice while being in a cold biome, which normally destroys civilian clothes and eventually kills you.

Pit naked/civilian clothed (/armoured?) people into a 5x5 exposed ice pit on a glacier or a tundra with a aquifer (with careful construction), units trapped will have their clothes turn to tatters and eventually die. For extra points chain a yeti or more in the pit too if you have one spare, they're good as immortal with a 1000 year lifespan, dont worry about it.

Recommended method is to smoothen the bottom walls out without completing the 5x5 floor for about 2 or 3 z levels, using non natural stairs made of ice to descend, then to channel and hurry your miners out. Then construct a Scaffolding platform over with a hatch to drop pitting creatures, it will still be outside without a surrounding wall. Remove stairs and it should be deathly cold in there.

Enjoy your death-yeti ice dungeon.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 31, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »

Dead dwarves viewed from the relationships screen of another dwarf have no injuries except: "Her upper body is gone", which they all have.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 31, 2016, 12:40:26 pm »

Dead dwarves viewed from the relationships screen of another dwarf have no injuries except: "Her upper body is gone", which they all have.
This is because the upper body is the "root" to which all other bodyparts attach.  DF is smart enough to know that anything attached to a missing part is also missing (when the right arm is missing, you don't see reports of the right hand or right thumb).

What you are looking at indirectly is the unit associated with the dead dwarf, which is where the ghost would appear if needed.  The corpse is generated upon death as a separate object, and moving the corpse does not move the unit.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 148