Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443427 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #870 on: October 31, 2016, 12:44:26 pm »

I hoped to have tundra creatures show with winter deadcold, but although yeti was listed in region-pops list-all, it didn't show it's face (then again, so was kea which definitely didn't have a biome to spring from). Maybe I was simply unlucky, then? It is not like it's a given. Though it'd make for a neat garbage disposal.

Was wondering about dwarf-made pools and wet plants (Muck Root, Kobold Bulb, Rat Weed, Fisher Berry, Rope Reed, Sun Berry and Willow tree).

Dug channels on poolless grassland and filled them with river sources from liquids plugin.

At first glance, it seems to still leave the ground dry....

But near river sources, the wet plants can spring forth (I then replaced the river sources with obsidian floors and the rat weed died a month or so later - though cats keep running across the map.).

Then on a different map (had a segfault when investigating dead almond sapling that shouldn't have possibly existed), did it properly with just planting 7/7 water after channel and got no wet plants.

I guess only thing that remains to test is retire and unretire....And this world is expendable.

*does just that*

Nooope, after 5 seasons total. At least both tests got pond turtles, which is kinda weird mismatch.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 31, 2016, 01:19:42 pm »

Teeth can start fires.

In 129 the swamp titan Ino Inoganuk, a flying fire-breathing ceratops visited my fort.  Thankfully, he spent the first half of his assault in the yak pasture within my above-ground fort.  As the fields burned around him, my marksdwarves rained steel bolts down upon him.  He shrugged them off until all the Yaks lay mangled and burning, then he turned his attention upon the crossbow pillbox.  Sadly it was only partially complete.  Ten brave Marksdwarves looked on in horror as the ceratops flew up and squeezed in with them, through a poorly conceived hatch upon the roof.

The resulting battle within the pillbox was difficult to follow, hidden in great gouts of flame and billowing smoke.  Somehow, only three dwarves fell, one of which was incinerated so badly he left no corpse.  Before this happened, however, he was bit in the mouth by Ino and left behind 4 of his teeth as a result.  Ino himself was in bad shape when he entered the pillbox, and the hail of steel from the marksdwarves somehow managed to open his belly and spill his guts, bleeding him out.

Weeks after, as the dwarves mopped up, the fires finally dwindled out in the pastures topside, and a butcher took on the monumental task of carving up Ino, I was shocked to find my entire underground fort on fire.  I had spent so much time building above-ground that my dwarves were still living in a temporary level within the soil, the grand fortress in the granite far beneath still in the planning stages.  They had opened the 1st cavern, so this soil was covered in moss and what not.  I was at a complete loss as to how the fire got started.  Thankfully, the season had just turned, so I had a save file - and on loading it the fire literally broke out from some coffins the moment I unpaused.  The contents of the coffin:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

336°C is about the melting point of lead.  :D
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:15 pm »

Dead dwarves viewed from the relationships screen of another dwarf have no injuries except: "Her upper body is gone", which they all have.
This is because the upper body is the "root" to which all other bodyparts attach.  DF is smart enough to know that anything attached to a missing part is also missing (when the right arm is missing, you don't see reports of the right hand or right thumb).

What you are looking at indirectly is the unit associated with the dead dwarf, which is where the ghost would appear if needed.  The corpse is generated upon death as a separate object, and moving the corpse does not move the unit.

A code regression to do with that is linked to this bug report because nothing is dying properly before turning into a item corpse is suggested here http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10057

Each individual game unit has a health screen (in our dwarves with a diagnostian its on the Z menu) but curiously there isn't a death state so combat is bugged with no more ('Struck Down') messages registering death before units slump down on the floor dead.

Quote from:  summary of trivial findings with the bugreport
> Using exploits you can look at a 'alive itemcorpse' through the relationship screen of people who knew the person who died, the thoughts will be stopped because they are no longer a unit, but the interface will continue to update. You can even assign a tomb post-death and watch your worker's holdings update and their health while they rot

> Ethics are tied to itemcorpses, if its alive and part of your faction it will be checked, non-intelligent wild animal corpses are never checked (because they are counted as huntable and need to be butchered once shot and hauled) except for circumstances (see below point)

> As long as the item corpse is alive, it will retain ownership over all of its bp anatomy (hair and skin (and edibles) dont count because of [ANIMAL_PRODUCTS])) after death, so zombies can rise from being entombed/ghosts manifest if there is a loose tooth representing that unit still on the map. This is why ivory and horn crafting is bugged because it still belongs to their itemcorpse unit state. Turning into a zombie resets it state to huntable & wild and it can be butchered, but the ethics will still be broken from the 'zombie' or the original creature's ID still existing (not sure which), which in theory fixes pet butchering. (I've heard of it being done, can't recall if i've seen it myself)

> A technicality with slaughtering means that you can't use living corpses, (slaughtering living pets works fine because of ethics running checks) but even slaughtering intelligent pets is forbidden, as the slaughter will execute, but the still living 'id' of the destroyed sentient creature's products will be unusable (not forbidden - unusable, both inedible and unworkable, immediately shifted to the refuse pile that will take it) because it is a illegitimate ethical kill, even if all your ethics are correctly aligned. There's no way around it even if you mod in sentients to slaughter.

> Theoretically a were-'s limb or BP part that is cut off then grows back is seperate ID or all the same associated with the were-'s identity state despite growing back to replace it, claiming ownership of a uh, additional arm.

> When you die, you sit inside your owned holdings of a tomb and slowly feel your eyesight and ability to stand and grasp release from you as you rot, all the while you never have the necessity to breathe. You are alive in one sense of the word, the entire time as you turn into a skeleton and you can keep monitoring it from there on forever.

Night of the living dead, Spooky

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 31, 2016, 02:27:25 pm »

I got all excited when a hamsterman necromancer dropped a scroll related to the secret. 
Well, it's not the book, so no necro fort.

However, I am trying to figure out how to retrieve said scroll as it will not allow dump, but can be forbid. 

I have a library, a book case, but it is not being hauled in.

I will try to make the tile it dropped on (outside) part of the library. 

So it should be possible for a book binder to grab the scroll?
But it's a scroll, so it cannot be made into a book?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 31, 2016, 02:33:17 pm »

I got all excited when a hamsterman necromancer dropped a scroll related to the secret. 

However, I am trying to figure out how to retrieve said scroll as it will not allow dump, but can be forbid. 

I guess checking your (R) refuse and (F) forbid on the (O) order screen for dwarves is relevant if its aboveground, items dropped by invaders might be restricted or just generally you've forgotten to set collection for aboveground things.

Codices in the finished goods menu handles books and such so make a codice pile near or inside your library to get it in if you have a spare bin.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 31, 2016, 06:05:40 pm »

I guess checking your (R) refuse and (F) forbid on the (O) order screen for dwarves is relevant if its aboveground, items dropped by invaders might be restricted or just generally you've forgotten to set collection for aboveground things.

Codices in the finished goods menu handles books and such so make a codice pile near or inside your library to get it in if you have a spare bin.

All other items (weapons, clothes) were claimed and put to stockpiles, corpses and remains went to gabage zone. 

The scroll, cannot be dumped.  Using (k) over it does not have (d)dump option, only (f)orbid.

I wonder if it acts the same as the trader item lock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:15 pm »

Exactly the same.

I did a necromancer fort some time back. Used dfhack to embark on top of the necro tower, which I imploded. Books with the secret sauce were in the rubble, but I could do nothing with them.

I poked at one of the default lua scripts in dfhack to make it list all an items flags. Merchant was set on the books. I had to poke the flag by further meddling with that script to force clear the merchant flag.  Could read and copy after that.

Without dfhack, selling and buying back from the merchant caravan might work. Don't know.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 01, 2016, 07:25:05 pm »

Although Ettins start out being able to see all around them, disabling both of one head's eyes gives them regular conical vision. Injuring all four of their eyes makes them effectively blind, much like any other creature suffering two eye injuries.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 03, 2016, 12:51:32 am »

Partially deconstructed screw pump leaks.
Learned that while deconstructing a magma pump.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 03, 2016, 11:51:07 am »

(Obsidian is igneous extrusive)

(Diorite is igneous intrusive)

Incidentally, there's rhyolite (igneous extrusive) 3z above that diorite.

E: Just found an embark that starts as igneous intrusive and goes to metamorphic. I didn't expect to be thwarted so thoroughly.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:41:24 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 03, 2016, 09:58:22 pm »

Teeth can start fires.

In 129 the swamp titan Ino Inoganuk, a flying fire-breathing ceratops visited my fort.  Thankfully, he spent the first half of his assault in the yak pasture within my above-ground fort.  As the fields burned around him, my marksdwarves rained steel bolts down upon him.  He shrugged them off until all the Yaks lay mangled and burning, then he turned his attention upon the crossbow pillbox.  Sadly it was only partially complete.  Ten brave Marksdwarves looked on in horror as the ceratops flew up and squeezed in with them, through a poorly conceived hatch upon the roof.

The resulting battle within the pillbox was difficult to follow, hidden in great gouts of flame and billowing smoke.  Somehow, only three dwarves fell, one of which was incinerated so badly he left no corpse.  Before this happened, however, he was bit in the mouth by Ino and left behind 4 of his teeth as a result.  Ino himself was in bad shape when he entered the pillbox, and the hail of steel from the marksdwarves somehow managed to open his belly and spill his guts, bleeding him out.

Weeks after, as the dwarves mopped up, the fires finally dwindled out in the pastures topside, and a butcher took on the monumental task of carving up Ino, I was shocked to find my entire underground fort on fire.  I had spent so much time building above-ground that my dwarves were still living in a temporary level within the soil, the grand fortress in the granite far beneath still in the planning stages.  They had opened the 1st cavern, so this soil was covered in moss and what not.  I was at a complete loss as to how the fire got started.  Thankfully, the season had just turned, so I had a save file - and on loading it the fire literally broke out from some coffins the moment I unpaused.  The contents of the coffin:

336°C is about the melting point of lead.  :D
This seems incredibly non-trivial.  If you build an entirely fire-safe room, trap Elves within in, then drop these super teeth from above, will said teeth ignite the Elves?  We know about weaponizing breath and syndromes, but not such specific body parts.  This could be a whole new field of !SCIENCE!.

On an unrelated note, I have just discovered that reanimation is not necessarily confined to evil-aligned biomes.  I embarked in a Joyous Prairie with a Haunted Ocean.  I've been getting the occasional zombie here and there, but didn't think much of it.  Until that is, somebody's pet Silk Worm died fighting a wolf, then rose to attack its' former owner.  This occurred very far away from the ocean, above ground (no chance of overlap).

And just now, multiple hairs have risen from the refuse pile I placed outside, kindof near the ocean, but still well within the confines of the good side of the map.  I may have to use DFHack exterminate, b/c the hairs are missing their bodies and skulls now, making them effectively invincible.  I also must attempt to figure out where the good/evil border actually exists, since clearly it is not defined as I saw in the world map.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:03:53 pm by Immortal-D »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 04, 2016, 12:55:38 am »

I also must attempt to figure out where the good/evil border actually exists, since clearly it is not defined as I saw in the world map.
DFhack's probe?
Also, revealed map often shows regions with different layer minerals.
Finis sanctificat media.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 04, 2016, 08:41:26 am »

Immortal-D, it's pretty trivial when lignite is easier to obtain, ignite and hits harder :P

As for your reanimation, it is always evil in my experience. However ocean biome extends beyond just where the water is, and can also be in air even if ground is good, bringing reanimation with it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 04, 2016, 12:22:42 pm »

I also must attempt to figure out where the good/evil border actually exists, since clearly it is not defined as I saw in the world map.
DFhack's probe?
Also, revealed map often shows regions with different layer minerals.
Might be quicker using Showbiomes.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160856.0

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 04, 2016, 05:13:42 pm »

Immortal-D, it's pretty trivial when lignite is easier to obtain, ignite and hits harder :P

As for your reanimation, it is always evil in my experience. However ocean biome extends beyond just where the water is, and can also be in air even if ground is good, bringing reanimation with it.
Fair point, lol.  And yeah, I just realized the biome difference this morning on the train.  The ocean biome includes the shoreline, which extends a good 20 tiles or so inland.  At least now I have a clearly defined zone of reanimation.  The question then becomes not so much 'how do I weaponize this?' as 'where do I start?'.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 148