Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439573 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trivial findings
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:08:06 am »

Ever found something strange and wanted to share it with the world, but it was so trivial that you didn't know where to put it?

How bout here?

Anyway a week ago I had a dwarf get possessed... and just now I discovered that he apparently was taken by the mood while asleep.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:29:11 am »

one helluva dream....

I sort of thought the trivial was for "what's happening in your fort?" and probably have been using that thread wrong all this time  :-[

Trivial thing: Expedition leaders, it appears, get rechosen at the moment that a dwarf dies, even though the dwarfs don't know about it. A week after a new EL was chosen, the old one got reported as "missing"...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:11:31 am »

My mayor wanted rings. I forgot about it and everything seemed fine. Then he fell to melancholy because I didn't punish Urist McCraftsdorf. I started building a nice tomb for him anyway when he began flashing due to dehydration. My legendary (lvl32) engraver made a masterful engraving right in the middle of the room where the sarcophagus was later placed. It depicted the mayor becoming the new elected leader 2 years prior.

Now I have a bad conscience for not paying more attention to the mandate or taking care of the justice department earlier...  :-[
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:50:59 am »

You can channel on brooks and the brook tile will disappear. The tile will then become like a normal river.

So if you want to build a well but you have a brook, just channel on it XD
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 11:58:09 am »

I found out that while Molemarians may be blood thirsty murderers, both mole men and giant moles are pushovers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:19:54 pm »

I found out that while Molemarians may be blood thirsty murderers, both mole men and giant moles are pushovers.
So now he's Soul of the Molemen...

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »

Trivial thing: Expedition leaders, it appears, get rechosen at the moment that a dwarf dies, even though the dwarfs don't know about it. A week after a new EL was chosen, the old one got reported as "missing"...

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:47:15 pm »

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

The great Pratchett knows all.  :D  :D
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 12:05:26 pm »

Thing I found a bit funny reading the history of some of the vaults in my last world, Kobolds where stealing stuff from them, quite successfully too..

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 04:17:16 pm »

Some odd construction quirks:

• A constructed up-ramp that is under a bridge (not one z-level down, just under the bridge at the same level) is still sufficient for mining upwards, but won't remove the tile above until mining actually happens.
  • Constructing a downstairs on a natural ground floor will act as a downstairs if an upstairs is below it. Deconstructing the downstairs leaves the natural floor.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 07:47:26 am »

Here's one ...

"Cherry wood chair" BUT "Wagon wooden throne"  :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 08:18:01 am »

Ok, I guess this would fit in here...

I built a following entrance/exit tunnel and ramp for caravans:

Code: [Select]
W+++W
W+++W
W+++W
WRRRW
WWWWW
MMMMM

W = wall
+ = floor
R = ramp up
M = magma

This kind of ramp will be perfectly safe for wagons to descend (coming from south). Ascending it (coming from north) will light the wagon, the driver and the animals on fire.

It's extremely annoying but I'm sure someone will want to weaponize it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 08:22:23 am »

Dwarves that are generally belligerent, like some measure of chaotic living, and view war as preferable to peace will train as diligently as weaponmasters given the chance. Or at least last time I had such a dwarf they did.

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 11:06:16 am »

Had a trivial funny moment too..

I had openend up the first level of the caverns, which were housing Giant Cave Spiders, Cave Crocodile, Helmet Snakes and Crundles. (ended up several tamed crocodiles running lose in my fortress now)
Almost the entire population of Crundles died from Helmet Snake poison.. and couldn't care that much about those weird critters.

One of my more important dwarves.. Forgotten whom.. Got caught in the Crundles' pain and had to revenge all those poor critters (got one of those thoughts).
I tried with all my power to make him stop fighting the Helmet Snake, because I thought the Dwarves wont mix right with snake poison.
I couldn't get him to stop and the combat report said the following:

- Helmet snake bites xx Dwarf. (did not inject the poison, as it did with -all- the crundles).
- His response was.. Ha! I laugh in the face of death.. this is a fight!
And punched the snake's head into oblivion.

It made it funny to me, because I was expecting almost all the dwarves to fall prey to the snake and did not expect much from said Dwarf's combat skills.
His "This is a fight!" comment and immediate kill.. made it funny.

(I think all other Dwarves simply fled from the snake, which was constantly biting Crundles still)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 05:03:52 pm »

I discovered that an iron large dagger is actually a pretty respectable weapon against goblins. The one dwarf that had it got about half the kills of the entire military before I was forced to abandon due to the tantrum spiral of losing half my military to a goblin invasion...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 148