Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442436 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2015, 05:42:34 pm »

That happens around magma pipes. It's not just the irregular circle of the pipe that generates magma spurts, it's the entire 48x48 embark tile that the pipe is located in.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2015, 12:03:19 am »

That happens around magma pipes. It's not just the irregular circle of the pipe that generates magma spurts, it's the entire 48x48 embark tile that the pipe is located in.

Hmm, could be related to
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7632
and
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8730
do you think?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2015, 08:50:39 am »

The only plants that you can grow in deserts are ones that grow in both temperate and tropical climates: strawberries, potatoes, rye, and so forth.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »

It is possible to have a floor of open space.

Step 1. Construct an up/down stairway.
Step 2. Construct a down stairway on top.
Step 3. Flood the up/down stairway with water.
Step 4. Pour a little lava on top.
Step 5. Deconstruct the down stairway after the lava evaporates.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2015, 11:44:34 pm »

If you're over a ruined site, its tab info box will contain a brief history of the site as well as a blurb on what caused it to become a ruin in the first place.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:42 am »

I had only 1 dorf and I disabled her refuse hauling job.
I saw she carried 3 cave lobsters marked Dump from the trade depot and stored them in barrels one by one.

When I enabled her refuse hauling job, she grabbed those 3 from the barrels and dumped them.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2015, 12:38:14 pm »

Severe blistering can pulp body parts, to the point of UB/LB mangling, i.e. death.

Watching the process with
  [CE_BLISTERS:SEV:10:PROB:100:START:462:PEAK:1189:END:3619:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALL:VASCULAR_ONLY:SIZE_DILUTES]

It is terrifying.  Any part with blood starts to moistly peel away slowly; in a painful way.  Each step you take causes the boils to burst from the pressure, and every move you take is a reminder that your own immune system fluid is slowly skinning you.
  You start to vomit, because your stomach and guts rot away before your very eyes, which are only protected by your bloated, oozing eyelids.  Your hands become limp, pustulating lumps of skin, and you drop your tools before your legs give out on you; unable to sustain your weight any more.  Eventually, death comes in the form of your body disintegrating into a goopy pile of skin and oozing pus.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:59:25 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

adkiene

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2015, 05:42:56 pm »

I recently started a new fort, and, in the spring of my second year, I got an absolutely massive wave of 25 migrants, 13 of which were female. 

Now in the winter of that same year, 9 of them gave birth within three days of one another.  They must have arrived pregnant.  Boy that must have been one fun journey.

Defavlt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2015, 01:43:31 pm »

Minced Dwarven Wine.

EDIT:
Also, a Large wave of migrants arrived today.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:27:17 pm by Defavlt »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »

Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2015, 06:10:20 pm »

This is a pretty common problem, but thankfully clever stockpile management can fix it.  Provide 4 1x1 stockpiles, with different food types enabled at each, and barrels disallowed so there can only be one stack of food at each stockpile,  Link these piles to give to the kitchen, and take from the main food stockpile.  When he tries to make a meal, he only has 4 ingredients to choose from, all different.  This can be used to force the creation of very specific meals.

Unfortunately, you need some extremely prompt hauling to refill the feeder stockpiles before the chef wants more ingredients, if he's any good, so if you leave cooking on repeat you will get cancellations.  You could make sure that there are dedicated food haulers on hand, burrowed so they will be close by, but that's kinda a pain.

You can also make a larger number of small stockpiles, since there are more than 4 ingredient types, or use 1x2 and 1x3 stockpiles if you don't mind a few duplicate ingredients making their way in occasionally.

This is a neat idea, I'm going to try it. It might increase the chance of a dwarf grabbing a meal with a preferred ingredient, unless they're coded to do that anyway.

Regardless, you can get past the cancellation spam by using a manager and work orders. You'll still get the spam messages but the jobs will automatically re-queue themselves until the order is finished.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2015, 07:31:34 pm »

Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.
siged
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2015, 10:02:32 pm »

This is a neat idea, I'm going to try it. It might increase the chance of a dwarf grabbing a meal with a preferred ingredient, unless they're coded to do that anyway.

Regardless, you can get past the cancellation spam by using a manager and work orders. You'll still get the spam messages but the jobs will automatically re-queue themselves until the order is finished.
Huh, hadn't thought about using the manager for that.  The manager so frustrating for so many labors that I usually ignore it, but I suppose it's almost perfect for cooking and brewing (though if you try to have separate kitchens and chefs for roast production and fat rendering, you might run into problems).

The use of tiny feeder stockpiles to force specific meal creation or just meal diversity isn't mine, unfortunately.  A year or two ago someone, I think maybe Loud Whispers, made a thread where they had used that technique to make dwarven ice cream, using, I think, frozen milk (caused by doing the storage and cooking outdoors in a freezing biome), dwarven sugar, and some assorted flavoring ingredients.  Quite possibly yak eyeballs. 

It was an excellent thread, but the search function is not availing me and I can't find it.

siged
Thanks, i think that's the first time that's ever happened to me.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2015, 12:35:14 am »

The dwarves were unable to complete the Wagon.

Yeah, it is possible to see this message.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2015, 05:57:00 am »

When does that happen? Do you have to embark in such a way that the wagon lands precisely on a mountain peak or something?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 148