Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439579 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2015, 05:55:35 pm »

New trivial finding: Corpses can get impaled on spike traps. This turns them sort-of invisible, and unable to be dragged to the refuse pile. You can see them with "View i't'ems in building" and they still rot and release miasma.
Not so trivial, bodies get stuck in traps and until a dwarf does the "clean trap" labor the trap is useless.
Do spike traps jam?  I almost exclusively use them for aesthetics.
No, but the body will be unreachable unless the spikes are retracted. The spike trap itself will still work.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2015, 01:23:00 am »

New trivial finding: Corpses can get impaled on spike traps. This turns them sort-of invisible, and unable to be dragged to the refuse pile. You can see them with "View i't'ems in building" and they still rot and release miasma.
Not so trivial, bodies get stuck in traps and until a dwarf does the "clean trap" labor the trap is useless.
Do spike traps jam?  I almost exclusively use them for aesthetics.
No, but the body will be unreachable unless the spikes are retracted. The spike trap itself will still work.

That's actually a remarkably realistic situation.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2015, 02:46:24 am »

All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

The Mystical Tim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2015, 02:39:04 pm »

I've just had a glassmaker become attached to his mountain goat leather cap. I knew Hunters/soldiers could become attached to their weapons/shields, but a civilian to his hat?

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2015, 03:24:39 pm »

In a cavern that has no moss or trees or anything, you can build a construction and remove it, which will cause moss to grow.  Even if you breach other caverns that have plants and trees, none of them will grow on the newly formed moss in the formerly barren cavern.  This can be used to create the best grazing area in the game.

Grazing areas usually arent a problem and you rarely find the barren caverns, so I doubt anyone will really use it.  Kinda neat to see though.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2015, 09:17:53 pm »

Artifact bags can be used to collect sand. But the sand can not be used to make glass.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2015, 09:20:21 pm »

Issues with nobles requiring many roons to be of royal quality can be resolved simultaneously with a single artefact.

Make all rooms overlap. This causes room value to be poor-- Once all rooms are overlapping, install the artefact.  All rooms suddenly Royal. Does not work this way if placed first, then rooms made to overlap.  This is probably a bug.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2015, 09:37:53 pm »

I've just had a glassmaker become attached to his mountain goat leather cap. I knew Hunters/soldiers could become attached to their weapons/shields, but a civilian to his hat?

It is possible he was using the hat as a weapon at the time, even if it was just to kill something small. If he has no other weapon than a hat, that's what he'll use.

I had an incident involving the Mayor being re-appointed directly before a Giant arrived. The new Mayor was one of the more important military folk, so when he went into battle, his devoted subjects all ran out to defend him. Civilian dogpile. The Giant was swarmed, and the civilians were attacking him with whatever came to hand. For some reason the Giant chose to rip peoples clothing off and throw them and their clothing impossibly through the air, leading to something like a clothing fountain type thing happening. With so much flying underwear, the result was inevitable: I had two different civilians attack the Giant using socks, let alone the guy who attacked a hand (and did some damage) with a shirt....

I was getting the dorfs to pick up discarded clothing for the next 12 months...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

The Mystical Tim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 02, 2015, 07:06:20 am »

It is possible he was using the hat as a weapon at the time, even if it was just to kill something small. If he has no other weapon than a hat, that's what he'll use.

Y'see, that I could understand, but he wasn't using it as a weapon as far as I know; the announcement occurred in my main hall, devoid of any pests. Though he had recently been attacked by a were-hyena, so maybe he kept using it as weapon just out of paranoia.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 02, 2015, 02:37:32 pm »

Snail men don't have bones, so when they decay nothing remains except a shell.  Dwarves seem happy to use this shell without compunction.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:34 am »

Stumbled over the idea on one of the older minecarting threads and it only makes sense, so i tried it out and it works as expected:

instant signal propagation via minecart. Ramps can only accelerate carts to ~2,7 tiles per step, collisions some more. But arbitrarily slow carts can propagate a pulse instantly over any distance. You just need enough carts:

I-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMO

"input" cart I hits a long unbroken line of "M"inecarts, "output" cart O starts moving the moment "I" collides with the first cart in line.

Two points, however:
1. you need to "prime" the cart-tube with a first collision; on that first go, the pulse will propagate at seemingly twice the movement speed of the starter cart
2. every cart in the line must be _older_ than the one it pushes.

ad 1. sub-coordinate matters: a cart placed by a hauler dwarf starts out in the middle of the tile. It will only check for collisions when it leaves its current tile and will only leave once its sub-coordinates put it past the "tile border". If it collides and stops, it will do so exactly on the border. Getting from the middle of the tile to the end takes ~half the time crossing a tile from end to end would take, hitting the border when already on top of it is practically instantaneous. The sub-coordinate only matters when pushing, though, not when getting pushed; a line of carts all sitting on the border generally get pushed, start moving, collide and push the next cart, all in the single sub-step during which they calculate their movement.

ad 2. Minecarts take their turns during movement resolution by build order, oldest carts first: oldest cart tries to cross tile border, collides with second oldest, pushes it and stops (still on the border); turn resolution now passes to the next oldest cart, which, just having received a pulse, tries to cross the border, pushes the third oldest cart, stops on the border and turn resolution carries on with the third oldest cart. This way, with a perfectly-ordered line of carts that's already primed, the pulse goes through the entire line _in a single game step_. I made sure that the last cart is also on the very border of its tile and could "tunnel" a dwarven push through seventeen carts in a single step - the last cart started moving on the very step that the input cart smacked into the first in line. Longer lines are possible, but the practical use is nil.

2a. weight of carts should go down or stay completely constant along the line; lighter carts pushing heavier carts result in a reduction of speed, and heavier carts pushing lighter (standing) carts don't have the opposite effects; discrepancies in cart weight lead to speed loss.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2015, 06:23:57 pm »

Doors are not necessarily waterproof.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2015, 09:19:14 am »

Water falls through twigs like it does through floor grates.
()==[:::::::::::::>

The Mystical Tim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2015, 03:40:56 pm »

Apparently Dwarves are that thick that they'll fish in the same 1/7 water that they just threw into a pond.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 07, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »

Apparently Dwarves are that thick that they'll fish in the same 1/7 water that they just threw into a pond.

You know how the first mouse came into being? A dwarf put a big wheel of cheese in a chest.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 148